The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Eric Machmer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2006   #31
Shading (Textured and lit): new color scheme

new colors

Old 04 April 2006   #32
Shading (Textured and lit): lucky turtle lamp from above

Previous attempts at completing this character were unsatisfying...went through several new iterations...when in doubt: add fur, big eyes, and make the character smile. This is just a prop held aloft by other characters which have yet to be completed, so, this iteration will have to do for now...

Brutal critique, possible suggestions for improvement welcome...

Old 04 April 2006   #33
I think the fact you are using stark black as the background is what's throwing you off on the colors. Keep in mind there are no shades of black, just shades of grey. The starkness of black, as with white can throw your color perception. Just a thought.

As for your earlier comment, <blush> thanks. I'm an old oil on canvas artist (3rd rate), who's been away from art in general for years. I'm just getting back into the art world and trying to learn "a new way". Right now I"m working in Daz Studio and Vue d'Esprit, not creating content, but art based on other's content. One day I hope to be able to compete here, but I doubt I'll ever get to the level of expertise and high art that I see exhibited here. I do have a small gallery on rendo, but you can see it's not quality (yet). Thanks for the kind remarks.

Old 04 April 2006   #34
Hey MT thanks for the suggestion to avoid the use of pure black backgrounds...great idea actually...these characters are very saturated with colors since the characters live in a cherry orchard and are meant for a children's oriented movie pitch (as vainly ambitious as that may be...). So they tend to look awfully tacky. I'm anxious to check them out with a background of cherry blossoms, tree limbs, and leaves. Great idea.

"I''m just getting back into the art world and trying to learn "a new way"." Excellent! It seems the only definite key to success in the 3D world is persistence, so, I look forward very much to viewing your entries in a future challenge!

AutoDesk recently purchased Alias, which as you may know, resulted in the two most popular highend modeling and animation programs being owned by the same company -- if you're planning on extending your forays into 3D it might be worth checking out the free Learning Edition of Maya at http://www.AutoDesk.com

What is rendo?

Thanks again

Old 04 April 2006   #35
Thumbs up

Rendo is an artist's gallery site. http://www.renderosity.com/

I think these characters are great for a kiddie bit. They're very happy, bright.

Thanks for the advice on Maya. I'll look into it. I'm trying several demos until I find a tool that suits me. Zbrush is very slick, I'm enjoying it a lot, although the interface is a nightmare.

Keep going, I think you have a fun theme here!

Last edited by MT-Cup : 04 April 2006 at 09:35 PM.

Old 04 April 2006   #36
Crasy modeling here ! I subscribe!
Love your concept man ... gogogo!

Old 04 April 2006   #37
thanks Michel! --Really hope you're working from a live model!

Old 04 April 2006   #38
Wow Eric, all of your objects are wonderfully detailed, excellent work man! Your entry is very original, it has that sort of surreal feel to it! Keep it up, I am definitely liking what I see!

Matt

Old 04 April 2006   #39
That's some really cool and original work you have been doing - not sure how I missed this post until now but I'm happy to have seen it now
Oh and are you really from Christmas Island? that's pretty cool as well

Old 04 April 2006   #40
Originally Posted by oceanbluesky: thanks Michel! --Really hope you're working from a live model!

Of course ! I'm teaking both !

Old 04 April 2006   #41
Hey Matt, nice website galleries you have...especially liked the translucency of the grapes in your "Surfacing Gallery" still life, and, this creature:

http://www.primatestudios.com/image...ration/pond.jpg

What is this house used for:

http://www.primatestudios.com/image...ll_hut_comp.jpg

? It's pretty cool...especially the light cast from its interior

Interesting, exciting work! Thanks for the comments (and encouragement...)

Old 04 April 2006   #42
so much work,
so much detail,
so much appreciation!

great to see a maya user. I'm loving the app more and more sinds i've been doing this challenge.

keep up the good work.

Old 04 April 2006   #43
I really like your use of colour and 'organic' modeling. Very unusual and very inspiring

Old 04 April 2006   #44
Hey Lee, thanks for the encouragement....Christams Island does sound cool...I'd like to live there sometime. "The Australian Government in 2001 agreed to support the creation of a commercial space-launching site on the island, projected to begin operations in the near future."

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications...ok/geos/kt.html

Old 04 April 2006   #45
I would love to own one of those lucky turtle lampsm I can feel he vibrancy. That is awesome to see. I would actually love to see everything put together. Great modeling on the instruments, I looked over them a few times to see the detail

Thread Closed share thread