The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Eric Machmer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #16
Interesting. I haven't seen your thread before. I like the colors and I hope to see more updates soon!

Old 03 March 2006   #17
This looks very intriguing -I'm liking your modelling so far -lots of exciting details to it. But i'd still really like to see a concept sketch as the earlier one is so small its very unclear what it is -and i'd really like to see roughly where you are headed with this!

Old 03 March 2006   #18
Hi Selina! Thanks for your encouraging comments...sorry about having piecemeal concept sketches for the moment...I'm extremely busy with family issues and would like to devote more time to this...I'll post model sheets with the characters in the future and should have a full scene rough shortly thereafter. Can never underestimate the value of a sketchbook which fits in your back pocket though....thanks again, good luck!

Old 03 March 2006   #19
Originally Posted by se7enthcin: Interesting. I haven't seen your thread before. I like the colors and I hope to see more updates soon!

Hey thanks for stopping by...your encouragement is much appreciated. Good luck!

Last edited by oceanbluesky : 05 May 2006 at 09:32 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #20
Concept Sketch: color pov (extremely rough 2D render)

WARNING: I bought a Wacom pad two days ago. Oh man what have I been missing! This is a way over saturated color concept for the scene created in less than 45 minutes (virtually one of my first digital sketches but I am so excited by the process I'm going to post this concept of a concept sketch anyway)...the ship is quite large, so, it is tilted on its side and entirely reflected on the dark liquid surface far below (to enable it to be seen in its entirety)...several creatures are on a branch to the right midground, while the foreground is out of focus. Importantly most of the colors are in their own layers to allow maximum experimentation using CTRL+U and CTRL+B in Photoshop. Back to work in Maya...hope this serves to orient future crits...one of the joys of working on a CG Challenge is following an idea without regard to a restrictive team necessated workflow or a hierarchical model-to-concept pipeline...just kind of riffing with this, keeping it light, having fun, seeing where it goes....

EDITITED NOTE:

WARNING: I bought a Wacom pad two days ago.

Hehehe, I think that says it all. Gosh was I impressed to do anything with that pad. I LOVE it!! Hoh! The funny thing is I think if I had the choice to keep my computer or just my Wacom pad I'd choose the Wacom pad -- I don't know what I'd do with it, maybe pretend it is plugged into something and practice fooling around on it with imaginary pictures projected on a non-existant screen, while walking down the street or sitting by a river -- or just sleep with it under my pillow. Dang I love it!

They can be bought for about 10 to 15 percent less on eBay and you definitely don't need a big one -- the smaller actually is probably the better...stroke size really determines your need for pad size, rather than anything else. Try one out at a store, then purchase the size you like on eBay. If you draw with a small stroke, a small pad would be fine...and less costly. Definitely worth saving money for though if you can....

Anyhow, I hope this note discourages anyone from putting off such a purchase like I had. It is well worth the investment, if possible.

Also hope these ridiculous images don't give the wrong impression to anyone -- I (very humbly) think I can draw (with a pencil)...just had a lot of fun getting to know the Wacom pad.

Cheers!

Last edited by oceanbluesky : 05 May 2006 at 07:07 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #21
That perspective looks really good!
The ship is quite amazing! And the props too!

Old 03 March 2006   #22
Lovely modeling, I really like the style for this! It's a bit hard getting a grip of the over all concept but I suppose it'll get clearer later. I will be back for sure

On another note, I suggest you put a link to your thread in you signature - that way you will have more people finding you and your interesting entry

WIP: Anatomy

Demoreel

Old 03 March 2006   #23
Thanks Mario...the ship should be completed soon, hopefully by this weekend. Glad you like it.

Old 03 March 2006   #24
Amazing looking ship. I can't wait to see more. Best of luck to you!

Old 03 March 2006   #25
Originally Posted by Gunilla: Lovely modeling, I really like the style for this! It's a bit hard getting a grip of the over all concept but I suppose it'll get clearer later. I will be back for sure

On another note, I suggest you put a link to your thread in you signature - that way you will have more people finding you and your interesting entry

Thanks Gunilla! Another piece of this puzzle ought to be up within the next few days, if I can squeeze out the time...a lamp has turned into a full blown character/lamp/incense burner, etc. Flipped the perspective a bit on a new color concept draft....will post in a while. Thanks again!

Oh, this is my first challenge -- thank you for clueing me in on the signature thing too!

Last edited by oceanbluesky : 05 May 2006 at 09:34 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #26
Originally Posted by MT Cup: Amazing looking ship. I can't wait to see more. Best of luck to you!

Hey MT CUP thanks for your encouraging comments -- and as this drags on encouragement is very welcome. Searched around for your challenge entry or a WIP gallery but couldn't find anything...after reading your helpful, right-on comments to others I'd bet your work must be interesting and inspiring...

Last edited by oceanbluesky : 05 May 2006 at 07:49 AM.

Old 03 March 2006   #27
Concept Sketch: color test

Flipped the color sketch and tested new harsher colors. Very rough 3am whim. Gosh I hope it doesn't look like this!!!

Last edited by oceanbluesky : 05 May 2006 at 07:51 AM.

Old 03 March 2006   #28
Modeling: quick render

test render, thought the gray on black, colors, were interesting...will texture this weekend...kind of excited about her...

While thinking about themes for the eventual backstory two quotes about traveling came to mind. The first is actually by Mohammed and is very straightforward: “Do not tell me how educated you are, tell me where you have traveled.” (I am not a Muslim but think that saying is very instructive.) My absolute favorite call to travel though is by a Brahmin poet who lived in what is now the violently contested territory of Kashmir:

A poet should learn with his eyes the forms of leaves.
He should know how to make people laugh
when they are together.
He should go to see what they are really like.
He should know about oceans and mountains
in themselves.
And the sun and the moon and the stars.
His mind should enter into the seasons.
He should go among many people in many places
and learn their languages.

Below is the same poem using the third person singular feminine…I think it makes a difference whether one reads “he” or “she” even though we make think to ourselves the poem can be interpreted to be gender neutral while reading it in its typical translation. It’s interesting what the different feelings we may have when actually reading it with a female subject tell us about our subconscious minds. Hope you enjoy the sensation:

A poet should learn with her eyes the forms of leaves.
She should know how to make people laugh
when they are together.
She should go to see what they are really like.
She should know about oceans and mountains
in themselves.
And the sun and the moon and the stars.
Her mind should enter into the seasons.
She should go among many people in many places
and learn their languages.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited by oceanbluesky : 03 March 2006 at 09:51 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #29
Post Effects and Compositing: color tests

...Not pandering to our Boxx sponsor too much hopefully...just not passing an opportunity to earn Boxx Rewards...a program open to everyone, here:

http://www.boxxtech.com/rewards/spreadtheword.asp

Anyhow, just messing around with the new Wacom pad. Ridiculously fun. Cheers...

Last edited by oceanbluesky : 05 May 2006 at 07:53 AM.

Old 04 April 2006   #30
Modeling: Little Lucky Turtle Lamp

BEESA...NASA for bees, of course! These characters live in a cherry orchard on Point Magoo -- a real rocket testing range in Southern California -- where they are inspired by SpaceX and other commercial suborbital ventures to travel around the world.

***Apparently SpaceX uses Omelek Island in the Kwajalein Atoll, part of the Marshall Islands, though... http://www.spacex.com

---

The colors for this will change...just whacked it with a +86 hue change in Photoshop...isn't a tacky pink blob in a starfield anymore but man, this is supposed to eventually be for a G rated film pitch. I don't like these colors at all -- they are so bizarre I thought I'd post them to reflect upon later...

Last edited by oceanbluesky : 04 April 2006 at 02:51 PM.

Thread Closed share thread