The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Sergio Ghazarian

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #16
Modeling: Head - still modelling

Well I can't model as fast as you guys cuz this is one of my very first character attemts, and I have to rig it too.

Old 03 March 2006   #17
Keep it up ... however he looks like the guy from a bugs life. your modeling is good keep it up man .. don't dis yourself too much there is nothing to dis and as for the rig you don't have to go to indepth.... you can use FK all the way .. and just rotate joints into position. it's only a still image.

keep it up

Old 03 March 2006   #18
Intersting concept. Your modeling seems good but I think you can make something a little more different in design because it really looks like Bugs life. Maybe try to make it more personnal and original.
Anywy clean modelisation
good luck.

Vincent

monstrorama
website
blog

Old 03 March 2006   #19
Well, yes, I am using Bug's Life as reference .

Old 03 March 2006   #20
I like your latest concept. Though I think the shot could look more grand if the camera were lower in the scene looking up. The current angle IMHO takes away from the small creature entering a big environment.

Just thoughts.. good luck!

Old 03 March 2006   #21
I agree about lowering the camera angle too,wil make for a more dramatic final render.

the model is looking good & I can certainly see the 'bugs life' influence

Old 03 March 2006   #22
you're obviously a good modeler and creative -- why Flick? his body shape and form be changed into another character more reflective of your own inspiration Good luck!

Old 03 March 2006   #23
Oh and as for a rig don't worry at ALLLLL about it. You only need one still shot. Throw a lattice around your character or selective parts of your character's verts and then push and pull into a pose -- repeat after deleting history until after using successive lattices you are satisfied with the pose. No need to rig. No worries. This is good work. (Just change the colors a bit or use a scuplting program to deform what you have into something that doesn't look like Flick...just a suggestion...great modeling though...don't doubt yourself.)

Old 03 March 2006   #24
Digital_Crystal, Stefan_Morrell: Yes, I agree about the camera angle, I also need to admit that it's exactly what I had in mind, I didn't draw exactly what I intended cuz I'm a lame painter .

Kris.s32, authentic, Stefan_Morrell, oceanbluesky: When I decided that my character should be an ant I immidiately recalled Flick (from A Bug's Life) and Z (from Antz), and since I don't have the skills to design my own ant I started looking for reference on cartoon ants. My search ended on what I'd started with, i.e. Flick and Z, I denied Z cuz I think he looks a little too ugly. As for my final ant, I don't want to have copied Flick. But I'm going to stick with him until I finish the entire model, only then I will start modifying him (for instance I want to change the color (cuz I haven't seen blue ants yet) and add a couple more hands).

Kris.s32, oceanbluesky: What I'm worrying actually about is how do I combine the face with the body? I have separate experiences with IK joints for the body and blend shaping for the head, but I've never had the opportunity to combine those two . I'll have to look up some tuts for that. Yes, I could simply model the character in it's final pose, but I don't want to limit myself with that. This challenge is a great opportunity to explore some new stuff, if you know what I mean .

Thanks for the comments, keep 'em comin' .

Old 03 March 2006   #25
thatís an easy one ... once you have the model rigged you can make a duplicate of the mesh when in the bind pose ... unlock the translate and rotate on the XYZ then move the new duplicate to the side.... you then can start modeling the blend shape to the expression you like, and then attach that as a blend. if you have any problems with the blend shape over riding the bones you might have to change the input order... right click on the skinned mesh then go to inputs and down the bottom of that tab there should be something there called select all inputs .. Click on that. It will bring up a dialogue box where you can change the order of inputs on the nodes... All you have to do is make sure that the blend shape is underneath the skin cluster node (skin cluster being the relationship between the joint position and the mesh) ... do that by middle clicking and dragging the blend shape node down the order.... hope that helps

cheers

Kris

Old 03 March 2006   #26
cool modeling and idea keep going

Old 03 March 2006   #27
Originally Posted by Kris.s32: thatís an easy one ... once you have the model rigged you can make a duplicate of the mesh when in the bind pose ... unlock the translate and rotate on the XYZ then move the new duplicate to the side.... you then can start modeling the blend shape to the expression you like, and then attach that as a blend. if you have any problems with the blend shape over riding the bones you might have to change the input order... right click on the skinned mesh then go to inputs and down the bottom of that tab there should be something there called select all inputs .. Click on that. It will bring up a dialogue box where you can change the order of inputs on the nodes... All you have to do is make sure that the blend shape is underneath the skin cluster node (skin cluster being the relationship between the joint position and the mesh) ... do that by middle clicking and dragging the blend shape node down the order.... hope that helps

Wow thanks. So, I should first model the whole character in a riggable pose and a neutral face, and then construct an IK skeleton and only then add face expressions with blend shapes, correct? There also one thing that concerns me, it's the teeth and the eyes, also the tongue. How are they being managed?

Old 03 March 2006   #28
I think the sketches are great. Definately "flick-ish" though.

Old 03 March 2006   #29
Hi,

I like your sketch, it gives me the sensation that the bug is gettin into something very large and complex. I agree that the camera should be lower to show the point of view of the character.

Good luck,

fer

Old 03 March 2006   #30
sergage -

really glad I came across this one. I am really liking what you have going.

I think no matter how much you exaggerate it or try and define your own style, it will still have a bugs life sense to it. If you decide to add some clothing,hats to your ants that will help alot. dont sweat it. Just keep away from the light blue color for him.

as fara as the concept, if you are going to model the faces and add expression, then you have to see their faces in the final image, otherwise its a waste of time. I would suggest seeing the mushroom city in the reflection of their eyes or have one or two of them facing the camera. maybe the kids or mom who is still uncomfortable with her surroundings looking around.

keep it up...the shading and lighting is what will really sell this in the end.

Matt -

Thread Closed share thread