The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Jack zhang

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2006
grest progress like the new hair. I agree with the previous post for the eye and the depth of the cloth, that will improved a lot your dress if you put i little bit of thinkness to it. Btw i like a lot the detail you put on the center part. Keep up you good work

03 March 2006

TO Jedi-Juice :Good call on the eye-around texturing. I will for sure fix it tonight

TO Womball: I really thought today is like the worst monday ever in my life, untill you and Juice gave me all these great suggestions. I will keep working on the dress after i'm done with the facial texture. Again, thank you so much for your comment.

TO Cygnus_X: Eric thank you so much for lifting this post up again. I went to Indigo last thursday and bought a book which has like 500 abstruct patterns like the one you see on her skirt. they helps a lot and save me a lot of time from net-searching. and also thank you for confirming Juice and Womball's comment. I will put my hands on those as soon as possible.

03 March 2006
Modeling: and now she dances

i spend about 2 days finish the UVs, the plan is to pose her then finish the texuring.
so, now, she dances. this is going to be her final pose. I haven't finish weight mapping yet, also the hands looks a bit small. anyway, i'm planning to have her weighting + texturing done by this sunday.

Last edited by JackZhang : 03 March 2006 at 05:15 AM.

03 March 2006
Nice character and modeling. However.... that eye is creaping me out man.

03 March 2006
yeah, you should really tweak her mimic, it's more creepy than joyful :]

03 March 2006

TO se7enthcin and uiron: ok. one of the important day of the progress: got a big NO NO for the eye. If i'm right, it's the open one that you guys talking about right? i was hoping that i would get away with texture later on. But, good call, good call. i will keep in mind and fix it as soon as possible.

Thank you two so much for the feed back.

03 March 2006
http://octolan.com/pub/ph_divecv/smile-audrey-smile.jpg
http://www.memphis-schools.k12.tn.u....clue/laugh.jpg
http://www.jockmcdonald.com/images/...edium/laugh.jpg
http://www.lionking.org/imgarchive/Act_3/NalaLaughs.jpg

no, usually it isn't one feature that is wrong with the mimic. look for reference. no-one in these refs, for example, close only one eye; i also never saw people doing that when lauging or smiling:] when eyes close, not only lids work; cheeks lift up, as mouth is widening, brows go down.

03 March 2006

TO uiron:
thank you for your fast and valuable reply. I will find something from the 3rd, laughing baby image. I will modify the face after done with the weighting. sorry for the delay and please don't feel being ignored. Again, thank you so much

03 March 2006
The first things that grab my attention when looking at her pose are her hands finger and shoulders. You've already pointed out that her hands are too small but one thing I notice is that her fingers feel very "default". A subtle posing of her fingers would really give her pose more character.

As far as the shoulders are concerned I think that even tho she's just a young girl, as high up as she has her arms raised right now I feel her trapezius and her deltoids would be much more flexed than how they are right now, watch out especially for that back shoulder where it looks like the rotation joint is a bit off..

Beyond that your model is going great and I know that texture wise you wont let us down keep it up.

03 March 2006
Looking good dude! very nice modelling
I agree with the things Junerahe pointed out, and you might also want to move the corners of the mouth backwards, now it looks a bit too much like a 'flat triangle'
Keep up the good work!

03 March 2006
Concept Sketch: more concept

i took a short 5 mins redo the concept. the background is some image from internet, not mine. i'm just using it for ref. i change the horizontal idea to vertial. there will be 4 animals in the scene, a racoon that jump and try to catch her little travel bag; a bird gets scared and fly off, a squirrel try to grab her another little bad, and a rabbit runs by. a small castle far away indicates she runs away. hope you like the whole feeling

03 March 2006
Smile

Originally Posted by JackZhang:
i took a short 5 mins redo the concept. the background is some image from internet, not mine. i'm just using it for ref. i change the horizontal idea to vertial. there will be 4 animals in the scene, a racoon that jump and try to catch her little travel bag; a bird gets scared and fly off, a squirrel try to grab her another little bad, and a rabbit runs by. a small castle far away indicates she runs away. hope you like the whole feeling

Interesting! ^0^i wanna see more~~~

>v<keep it up!

ps: >u<I really like this new journey project you are doing right now~

Originally Posted by JackZhang:

>V<BTW what a happy mood~ haha~~^口^

Last edited by sweet_bee : 03 March 2006 at 02:02 AM.

03 March 2006
Modeling: more posing

as Uiron suggested, i fixed the smile, it still not as good as i expect, again, i plan to fix it with texture.

the posing file somehow got corrupted, so i redid the pose, a bit different from the old one. i like the new one better, personally i think it has more action and more curve. right now still
working on weighting.

Last edited by JackZhang : 03 March 2006 at 08:26 PM.

03 March 2006
With the eye untextured, she reminds me of one of those dolls that a younger brother got hold off and tortured.
That's not such a bad thing though (perhaps she finally escaped his evil doll dungeon ala Toy Story)

I for one will be slightly upset when you texture her into a 'real' girl (I can picture torn stitching, holes in shoes and somne rubber burns etc - would be pretty cool)

03 March 2006
better, better, but.. oh god, she's sleepy now or even.. drunk?:]

Thread Closed share thread