The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Andrew Kinabrew

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #16
wouaw, your rats concept is really nice, if the rest of the picture will give the same feeling it`s gonna be great!!

Old 03 March 2006   #17
Concept Sketch: pied piper design

Here's an idea for the pied piper.

Old 03 March 2006   #18
I've got a few minutes to thank each of you for taking the time to support me.

elmasfeo

I'm hoping to have lots of fun. I all ready am and I'm pretty stoaked about getting a substantial amount of this done.

Jonason

I'm hoping that is the case. I hope you come back to check up on me.

glennyP

Engaging. I like that. I will attempt to continue to do JUST that.

alvin_cgi

Thank you very much.

Cleveland

Apreciate that. Thank you.

mmbenya

I hope you do. I welcome you. BTW I subscribed to your thread, nice job so far.

cipher

I like the rats but I think I like the one on the left more. I may try a few more. I may start modeling a generic mesh in zbrush just as a template (so I can pose the many rats).

kingfish3d

I hope the second installment of the character development as good as the first in your eyes.

Old 03 March 2006   #19
Really great sketches. I was checking out your site and enjoyed your demo reel. I'm sure you will have no trouble producing something great for this challenge.

I look forward to seeing more of your progress.

Old 03 March 2006   #20
definitly like your style man, i`m waiting to see such great art in 3D

Old 03 March 2006   #21
Concept Sketch: environment exploration

Just getting a feel of how the buildings may look.

Old 03 March 2006   #22
Hi Andrew. Nice idea. Wouldn't have thought of this story for a journey but it can be a wonderful composition if you build in the story elements.
I like the angle from down amongst the rats. Good dramatic and still lets you fill in the stage levels behind it. Very cool!

drip.de

Old 03 March 2006   #23
Another very good idea. Interesting to me because Hamelin (Hameln), is half an hour down the road from here. I'll bookmark this one too.

Old 03 March 2006   #24
The rat sketch is awesome,looking forward to your zbrushed version

the black & white stripes are a good idea for the pipers outfit

Old 03 March 2006   #25
dobermunk

Thank you for your comment, do you not think it is good enough for the challenge or a strong enough concept? There is plenty of time to change this early. If anyone thinks so I would much rather them tell me now than later.

hobo

I could have swore I got the spelling right I'm glad you are from the area. Could you give me any input on my initial sketches. Possibly a better direction. I want a "timelessness" but somewhat dated piece. Almost like looking at another world with a "I've been there before" feel if at all possible. OR, I might have to just go my own style and take the fairytail liberties.

Stefan_Morrell

I think I may start on those today. I hope you enjoy them. I think the stripes are my favorite part. But I dig his hat too.

Old 03 March 2006   #26
Yeah, its a great idea! The difficulty is in keeping the "Journey begins" feel from turning into "Journey's begun". Because everyone is familiar with the story of the piper, there is an expected beginning.

To make the idea stand out I imagine details like over-fed children playing with a dead rat (but only so that you notice it after the 'big picture'). Parents looking at the rats with disgust. Things like that.

drip.de

Old 03 March 2006   #27
Interesting perspective. I agree with you about the addition of details such as what you speak of.

I was thinking about adding rats on the tops of the houses, in the windows, more of an infestation. I was wanting to use more of an us and him (him being the pied piper). I was hoping to take the perspective of the rats more. For example, when you don't think you are doing anything wrong you wont see others around you that disapprove. It doesn't mean you cannot, just that you wont. I want a suspiciousness of the rats in the foreground as if they don't think of the pied piper as good people

Adding people into the mix may be interesting. I think if I add people they will look more disgusting than in disgust. Like zombies or a threat to tie into the "from the rats perspective" point of view.

I do think beginning and begun is subjective when there are so many rats. I hope I can make this more clear as I get further along.

Old 03 March 2006   #28
I like the buildings, they sort of have a bent Tim Burton sort of feel to them. The rats also look great.

Matt

Old 03 March 2006   #29
Smile ..

Very nice work, what kind of creatures will be on it?

Old 03 March 2006   #30
mmbenya

Thank you. However, I'm a bit worried about the buildings not being up to par with my idea. I may change them slightly.

Xcomman

I believe I will mainly use rats and the pied piper. I may use a few extra human like characters.

Thread Closed share thread