The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Clint Cearley

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2006   #16
very acomplished this painting and very evocative. i love it. i agree partly with krpolak that the scene has become very busy but i would keep the kids, as they are integral to the story (btw the story is amazing). Maybe get rid of some of the other balloons. anyway, this is an awsome painting, good luck

Old 05 May 2006   #17
it looks amazing. the only fib i have with this is the fact hat the background and foreground don't compliment each other. you blocked the "gods rays" with the children. shame and in my opinion should be changed.

Old 05 May 2006   #18
QUILLS, Hanzen, Adonihs and InTerceptoV - thanks for your kind words and glad you're enjoying the piece!
BTW InTerceptoV, at the risk of sounding dense, what exactly does "A piece for the price" mean?

krpolak - I appreciate your thoughts. Very accurate. I painted the enviroment to near completion before starting the characters which helped me eek out everything I could of the enviroment but it consequently developed it's own symmetry outside of the characters. Now that they're in, I need to reworked the balance of things. Hopefully I can bring it back closer to the simple balance of earlier.

MrFreeman - thanks for your supporting words. Yeah, I need to work with the girl some; she'll be looking directly at the viewer and not down.

domclubb - great you hear that you love it. I have to agree with you and krpolak, simplicity is in order. Balloons are an exellent idea. I put in a lot of them to see how it'd look but now that the kids and lanterns are there, I don't need as many balloons.

Slav - thanks for your thoughts. I originally had the boy/ladder/basket on the other side of the book but it didn't balance very well so I flipped it. Now it competes with the god ray, so I might move the god ray farther behind up to shine on that blank spot of land. Maybe that will help with the busyness too.

thanks again to everybody, and if you guys, or girls, have any more thoughts, I'd be glad to hear them and best of luck to everyone. -thePoet

Old 05 May 2006   #19
nice work

I gotta say man, I would not mind at all if you won this contest. What you've got going on is truly amazing. That sense of wonder, that sense of wanting to be there and experience what the children are experiencing is truly amazing. Way to capture a dream! Good luck to you!

Old 05 May 2006   #20
very nice!

Old 05 May 2006   #21
This is an amazing demonstration of painting skills! Great Job!

Did you change your mind about the balloons going away to the horizon? They are so many scattered around, that there's no sense of direction from them.

I was surprised to go back to your earlier posts and find out that the kids are climbing UP the ballon, not DOWN. None of the children's body language suggests that they are going up. It's probably too late to do anything about it now.

Old 05 May 2006   #22
Awsome! the kids are looking so realistic, and the entire scene is just great and oniric, good work!

Old 05 May 2006   #23
delicate balance

The boy leaning back creates a delicate balance for the image with all the buldings tilting in the opposite direction. A lovely concept and such sweet looking children!

Old 05 May 2006   #24
This is simply awesome.

Old 05 May 2006   #25
Originally Posted by thePoet: BTW InTerceptoV, at the risk of sounding dense, what exactly does "A piece for the price" mean?

I ment that, in my opinion, this would be one of the top 6 pictures ...

Old 05 May 2006   #26
Talking gut

sehr gut !!!

Old 05 May 2006   #27
Final Coloring: Children of Ten Twenty-Five

Working with the picture flipped the other way for a couple of days has helped me notice some things that weren't quite right. I also put to use some of the great comments you've posted, Thanks guys!
I had painted all the children in separate files then copied them into the main image which left them with a very cut-out look. So I softened edges, especially in the hair and blowing garments. Really helps to meld them into the image I think.
I also added a couple of big pocketwatches hanging from the basket. They play into the story and I thought they looked kinda neat so there they are. What do you guys think, cool, not cool?
There's still some things I want to tidy up, nothing major, just some stuff I've been meaning to get to (cleaning edges ect). Oh, I do need to add a couple of kids in the balloon at the top of the pic.
I'm still committed to making it as good as possible so any last comments are very welcomed.

Old 05 May 2006   #28

what else can i say, i want to see full res.

Old 05 May 2006   #29
domo_arigato - Wow, your confidence in my piece is wonderful, thanks!
thanks Tyranx!
werepumpkin - good comments about the balloons and up/down. It's one of those things you start to overlook when you yourself know what's supposed to be going on. As you'll see in the last post I removed a number of the balloons and directed them more at the horizon. Think it's better or maybe a little more? I did the simplist thing possible to give the impression the kids were going up; I made the climbing boy's head look up. I tried having an arm reaching down to help him but it look cut off and odd. Still not enough?
Climax, thanks dude!
webwings - wish I could take some real credit for the balance you mentioned but that's just how it worked out. One of those wonderful things that just happens
Art2 - glad you like it!
InTerceptoV - let's hope the judges think so to
Dank zaimingX !!

Gracias to everyone and here's hoping you all get your pictures just the way you want them (in the next 3 days)!!

Old 05 May 2006   #30
Very nice feel to this image.

Facebook

Thread Closed share thread