The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Ed Parkinson

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2006
Coloring WIP: God Rays

Here's my attempt to get into the God Rays club. I've chosen Soul 3 for the moment, what do you think?

I might try adding a few more Souls in the background going to similar places (spirals). Would that work or would it just confuse things?

All your cruts are welcome... and thanks.

*Ed

05 May 2006
Hey Ed, that's not a god-ray, that's Casper, the friendly ghost! LOL Kidding

Hey Ed, you don't have to force yourself to put God-Rays into your painting. I feel guilty now for spoiling people's original concept with this God-Ray Club thing. Walrus recently mentioned that we welcome anyone now with or without God-Rays.

If you feel it unfair for me to help Theresa with that paintover, well, let me do the same for you and others then! I will whip up one for you when I get back. See you soon!

05 May 2006
do i need god-rays too?? sounds like im missing out on not being in this club

the pic is looking great...im looking forward to seing it finished...

i think that a WHOLE pastel feel might be nice for thisone...seems a little dark in places at the moment and too light in others... id keep it more towards the light...

anyway...

pleasesse keep at it...

cheers..

CyB

05 May 2006
great idea you have here. i agree with Cyberone about the light and dark. i would tone down the clouds around the sides of the image. The pure white is a bit much. i would like to see more definition in the clouds, maybe some warm yellows or subtle blues. Apart from this, its looking great. good luck

05 May 2006
hi ed,

nice going. i thought of souls as a grown up souls but im getting used to the baby souls too. and yeah i think this one is better but those god rays doesnt seem to fit the scene very well.

and one other problem now this little soul looks like he/she completed his/her journey

and i agree with domclubb about the clouds.

see you later

05 May 2006
Thanks Guys

Thanks Guys for your comments.

Jerome - now that I look at it again I think you're right about the God rays. They're a bit over the top. She does look like Casper too.
It sounds like I've set you off on a crusade to help everyone with paint overs. I was only joking Jerome. What I was really saying is you really have great skill and a great heart in helping the rest of us. It makes it a joy to be part of the CGSociety. Thanks a lot.

Cyberone - now that you mention it I see what you mean, I think. Is it the dark shadow areas that are too dark? from the temple downwards. I'll lighten them a bit and we'll see how it looks.

Domclubb - now that you've brought it up I'll put in a pale yellow in the background to get rid of the white. It might also help me put in a few subtle God Rays. I'll soften the clouds a bit too.

Individum - Ah well there goes my membership to the God Ray club. The reason I'm using a baby is because it is young and has to grow up by going through the test and challenges in the world below. Can you tell me where you get the idea that she is finished her journey. The white swirl coming from her is going to drag her down below. Do I need to develop this a bit (and how)?

Thanks again for your comments. I really appreciate them.

*Ed

05 May 2006
Originally Posted by EdP-Art: Can you tell me where you get the idea that she is finished her journey. The white swirl coming from her is going to drag her down below. Do I need to develop this a bit (and how)?

i got the idea from the white swirl but im not sure how you're going to develop it i guess you have to try different stuff maybe light coming from soul to the direction he is going or make the swirl more subtle and change its end to a more hand-like end pulling the soul, a gentle hold or pull thats the best idea coming to my mind yet but it looks like showing the soul speed right now and she is fast if i can think of anything helpful i'll make another post
i hope this helps

05 May 2006
Arriving not leaving

Thanks Individium, the hand pulling her might be the solution. ...and here I was thinking I was nearly finished.

*Ed

05 May 2006
Coloring WIP: Toned down colours and added 'hand'

I've toned down all the dark stuff so it's brighter now and added the yellow background, and got rid of the God Rays :sad:

Following what you said Individium the 'hand' has appeared. Does it give the impresion of it grabbing the Soul? Should I make it more reconisable as a hand?

Thanks for your help so far, keep the crits coming.

*Ed

05 May 2006
I just had to comment on the photographic look of a lot of your work- you painted the whole thing? It's just that the 'souls' look rather photographic...and I'm very impressed.

05 May 2006
yes that definetly feels like a pulling down scene now but i must admit that i think you must wokr on that swirl a bit more with that sharp edges it feels like an evil swirl right now and soul looks terrified with that grab, try a softer hold with lots of more tentacles and make the whole swirl more subtle.

also picture looks too much yellowish to me now but it may be becouse of my screen calibration its hard to tell something about little color changesmade with different monitors but if its really too much yellow (best is to look for yourself and decide i guess) i may suggest you to make it a very pale white-yellow and not to leave it as a blank color.

that place is also where you can put some god-rays around those clouds, some subtle ones may look good i guess.

other than these i dont see any problem with the picture and it really looks great, and yeah like theresa says they look photographic.

and i must say that i loved that spiral its like watching a long time period in a moment, feels like a projection of life, brilliant!

05 May 2006
Don't be impressed

Theresa - don't be impressed they are photographs. I'm afraid i havn't got the skills or patience to illustrate that amount of detail. I'm really a photo manipulator. When I get the concept for a picture I may have photos to use as a basis which I then warp, clone, colour change, mask out, skew, or whatever makes it look the way it should for the pic. Take the clouds for example. I had a nice shot of clouds which I chopped up and created a circle with to give me the outer sourrounding clouds. This was duplicated and darkened for the lower levels. I did do some brush work for the shadows.

I got my first ever Wacom, a Graphire 4, yesterday and the 'hand/tentacles' is the first thing I've drawn with it. It's been the mouse up the this.

For me getting the concept out is more important then how I produce it. It seems to take me as long as any good illustrator to produce a similar pic. I've spent about 40 to 50 hours on this one so far. I'll have to develop my illustration skills to get my speed up.

I hope this isn't a big dissapointment for you.

Individium - thanks for your advice again. That 'hand' is a bit evil. I'll try what you suggest with more tenticles and softer.

The yellow in RGB colours is R=255, G=255, B=197, which is fairly light on my monitor. Check it on yours to see what colour you get.

As I said to Theresa, don't be impressed with my photos.

Thanks for your comments

*Ed

05 May 2006
Coloring WIP: Tenticlas and more Souls

I've cleaned up the 'hand/tenticles' and added some Souls in the background who are viewing similar challenges to our Soul. Hopefully the these help kill the yellow background. Is it still a bit strong?

Damm, I forgot to find somewhere for the God Rays!

Do you think it's finished and ready for the final clean up?

*Ed

05 May 2006
Thing is, Ed, I'm fairly sure photo manips aren't allowed in the challenge. I'd double check with a mod, but I think it's part of the challenge rules, in order to qualify. However, you could continue and produce a portfolio type piece?

05 May 2006
Hope your wrong

Theresa - I hope your wrong about photo mainps.

I've gone throught the rules and there is no rule prohibiting the use of photos or manipulation. They do mention that you have to be the copyright holder of any images which would indicate that they are willing to accept copyrighted images for which you have the rights. All the photos I use are mine so there won't be a problem regarding that.

If it doesn't get through I won't be too upset as the challenge has helped me create this image. If it helps people to understand or even grasp the possibility that they are Soul, a pure happy being, and their lives are a path to understanding themselves better, then I've done my job.

*Ed

Thread Closed share thread