The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Ed Parkinson

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2006   #1
The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Ed Parkinson

Ed Parkinson is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Soul's Journey Begins

Old 04 April 2006   #2
Concept Sketch: The Journey Begins

The idea here is a Soul going into the worlds below to learn about life. There may be 2 Souls or maybe one is before the journey and the other is after the journey. I'll have to get a lot of depth in this, planning on using birds eye views of castles, pyramids, towns etc as points down the spiral/

Old 04 April 2006   #3
Hey. Your concept sounds cool, i like the idea with the souls which gives a broad dimension to the design possibilities ,

good stuff , and good luck

Old 04 April 2006   #4
Line Art: Concept 2

The soul on the left is the young one setting off on the journey, the one on the right is back from the journey, could be the same soul. The circles are major events/tasks/challanges in one place or another. The images are just object I could find, they will be more real later.
I'd welcome your crits on this as this is my first ever entry to a challange. Do you see any major flaws or problems I'm going to come up against as this develops?

Old 04 April 2006   #5
Thanks Hexrex,
If you are open to the the past life theory we could go back to the future or forward to the past. (:->)

Old 04 April 2006   #6
Ed!

Smaoimneach maith ata ann; however it's hard to tell without the text what it could be- I always feel an illustration should be able to stand on its own without having piles of back up text in order to justify itself. Having souls set off on a journey is a good idea, having the spiral to indicate the journey is a good idea. The rules DO indicate a landscape or similar background is highly desirable- maybe you could have clouds with souls (how about figures instead of faces, it'll be easier to tell they are souls?) travelling within or something similar??

All in all, is maith an tuar e. theresa.

Old 04 April 2006   #7
Thumbs up

Really interesting concept you've got here. Simple and really clear idea. Good luck with it and have fun!

Old 04 April 2006   #8
Concept Sketch: Spiral Steps

I'm thinking aout using steps down into the depths below to give the sense of distance. It may be a bit of a challenge to get the lighting right as the source is from above, that is our view point.

Does this tell the story any better?

Old 04 April 2006   #9
Originally Posted by paperclip: Ed!

The rules DO indicate a landscape or similar background is highly desirable-

All in all, is maith an tuar e. theresa.

Go raibh maith agat Theresa, your Irish is way better than mine.

DO you think the 'Spiral Steps' will suffice as a landscape?

Just reading the instructions they go on about showing emotions in the faces of the travellers, but we'll worry about that later.

Old 04 April 2006   #10
You know what would be really cool? Little people going down the steps, to further solidify the fact that they're steps and also somewhere to go.

I like the perspective- I like the idea of looking at the stairwell from above, like this:

With curious objects on the stairs for them to pass by....

You still have over 50 days left!

By the way: if you had clouds opening down into steps, that would qualify as a landscape. It could also represent the passage between heaven and earth. The rules are there to be...ehm...bent, after all!

Last edited by paperclip : 04 April 2006 at 08:28 PM.

Old 04 April 2006   #11
Smile The steps are events

Thanks a lot Theresa,

That picture is great. I plan to make the steps events or challenges for the soul as he/she climbs up. A friend of mine paints model soldiers so I'll be able to get refrences there of bird's eye views.

Go raibh mile maith agat.

*Ed

Old 04 April 2006   #12
Sounds good to me! I'm looking forward to this.

One more crit- if you have all the white on the outside of the spiral, the eye will be forced out by the whiteness and in by the spiral, so you'll have a conflict which will lead to collapse of the eyeball, sustained bleeding and an eventual trip to the ER.

Which I'm sure you don't want. So you'll have to try and fix that.

Old 04 April 2006   #13
Talking Eyeballs in ER (lol)

I really don't want to inflict uinjury on the viewers of my art. I'll have a look at that I wasn't aware of the effect. maybe I could add a warning like 'Eye protection must be worn when viewing this piece'.

*Ed

Old 04 April 2006   #14
Re: the picture: It took me about 2 seconds with Google images ... you know, go to google, click on 'images' and search- the pics come pouring in and they're fantastic for reference!

Old 04 April 2006   #15
i like your idea i think if you use the perspective of the photo (uploaded by paperclip) it would be better. and for souls dont make them with just heads and tails nothing more i can say yet.

good luck

Thread Closed share thread