The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Sean Andrew Murray

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2006   #16
wow, man!

that looks great. you've done this before. now be honest. i can tell.
no crits. thanks for posting that great example of laying down low sat hues and value ranges. that's a great idea for getting control of the color. reminds me of oil painting and turing all the lights off in the room to just see the values and a touch of color.

i'm really looking forward to seeing this some together. i only fear it will happen too fast and i'll be left with a post-thread depression. life goes on.

cheers,
~B

Old 04 April 2006   #17
good! it is very nice design and light painting!
I think if it has more story about?
keepup!

DA gallary

Old 04 April 2006   #18
Thanks fellas. Yeah I have been dropping in on some threads here and there, it's tough though because there is so much great work and so many entries, it ain't easy when trying to juggle this, my job, AND buying a house... haha. But it's cool.

Thanks again, more to come!

DWIII

www.seanandrewmurray.com

sketchsam.blogspot.com

bighugeartblog.blogspot.com

Old 04 April 2006   #19
nice picture,
great color and light
only crits about the static aspect of the scene: missing some action or idea of movement...i don't know...

but i like it, i like it

good luck mate!

Old 04 April 2006   #20
Very nice work! And I agree with everyone here, The line art is very nice! Good luck!

Old 04 April 2006   #21
Arrow

Fantastic drawing so far

One crit: IMHO the vehicle tooks too much space in the composition makes it "claustrophobic". There is no space to breathe here... if you add some background 30% around the vehicle this could be better.

Anyway exellent work

Old 04 April 2006   #22
Exelent lineart and the color scheme is just great as well. The only thing at this point is that the gun on that vehicle seems to be a bit curved. the lines arent straight. but thats just all the critics that I have till now. Keep up the great work and good luck in this challenge!

DW V 2d

Old 04 April 2006   #23
uh man u look like fengzhui i like ur style keep it up

portfolio : www.geocities.com/nardsdesign
favourite links : www.actionscript.org, www.ultrashock.com, www.javascript.com

Old 04 April 2006   #24
realy nice style, reminds me of someone else on the contest. anyways the picture is realy good, but i would still love to see more elements that will help you sell the journey behind all of this.

Old 04 April 2006   #25
just found your piece, wicked!
really nice stuff man , keep it up

Old 04 April 2006   #26
I had not seen this piece before !! It looks just GREAT !! Nice composition/design/lightning/colors .... i love it ! Just one thing: As Nomad said, perhaps it would be better to add some space on the sides of the pic, and the image itself could be even more attractive in panoramic format.

Old 04 April 2006   #27
Coloring WIP: Skulltank color WIP

Sorry, I have gotten behind in posting, but I have made lots of progress, several images to follow....

Here, I am popping out details and defining forms, working loose and first, and then refining. At this stage I have also flattened the image, and will occasionally adjust the overall color balance by duplicating the image, making a new layer, then desaturating it or colorizing it and overlaying on top of the previous version.

DWIII

www.seanandrewmurray.com

sketchsam.blogspot.com

Old 04 April 2006   #28
Coloring WIP: Skulltank WIP

More progress. Popping out details such as the gun, the treads, the dude on the balcony, etc.

DWIII

www.seanandrewmurray.com

sketchsam.blogspot.com

Old 04 April 2006   #29

Concentrating on the characters for a bit, making the dudes behind the wheel more interesting.....

DWIII

www.seanandrewmurray.com

sketchsam.blogspot.com

Old 04 April 2006   #30

OK this brings me up to date. At this point I was ready to incorporate a couple of your comments. Straightened out the gun, and worked on something more unique for the treads.

What do you guys think of this idea for the treads?

As for adding more space around the image, I see where you guys are coming from, but at this point, there is so much detail going on in the tank and the characters, that I do not want to risk the characters getting so small that you will never see them. I will post some detail shots after this to show you what I mean. Not saying that I disagree that it is a little claustrophobic, but in some ways, I kinda like that.

Please bring more comments!

DWIII

www.seanandrewmurray.com

sketchsam.blogspot.com

Thread Closed share thread