The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Sean Andrew Murray

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2006
The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Sean Andrew Murray

Sean Andrew Murray is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Christening of the Skulltank

DWIII

www.seanandrewmurray.com

sketchsam.blogspot.com

bighugeartblog.blogspot.com

03 March 2006
Thought I would take a few sketches from my sketchbook as a start for this challenge.

DWIII

www.seanandrewmurray.com

sketchsam.blogspot.com

03 March 2006
Concept Sketch: Skulltank

Decided to go with this one. Strange skull-tank getting a send-off from the High Priest before rolling out to join the battlefront.

DWIII

www.seanandrewmurray.com

sketchsam.blogspot.com

Last edited by Muttonhead : 03 March 2006 at 03:45 AM.

03 March 2006
Hi Sean, these sketches look really promishing, I've been at your webpage and I've no doubt you'll make an astounding piece of art. Thanks for drop by my thread, you are right about adding warm colours and somewhat saturate the turtle, I'll work on it.
Keep it up my friend.

03 March 2006
Nice sketches so far! The one you're going with reminds me of some of the masters of the universe toys that were around when I was a kid... Don't put He-Man behind the wheel, though. (Ever seen that guy drive?!? He's a maniac!)
Anyhow, good luck with it!

-mike

Last edited by walrus : 04 April 2006 at 01:59 PM.

04 April 2006
Line Art: Skulltank_pencil

Finished line/pencil art for the piece

DWIII

www.seanandrewmurray.com

sketchsam.blogspot.com

04 April 2006
Why aren't more people commenting on this? This is just some nice line art! Great work so far. Can't wait to see what you do with the colors...

One thing, though... well, actually it's the same thing, so I hope you don't mind me saying this again: I was just being kind of funny when I compared it to a He-Man toy, but now that the line art is done, for me the wheels make it feel more like a toy that a real vehicle... Specifically the lack of treads. Those toys had "treads" just like that, and they feel a bit simple for the level of complexity in the rest of your piece. Have you considerred trying something more knobby, like the tires on trucks, construction machinery, bull-dozers, military vehicles...? Maybe not rubbe, as you're clearly going for something metallic, but a race that's figured out heavy artillery surely has also covered basics of traction, too?

Anyhow, sorry for harping on one detail, I'll leave you alone now.
Have fun with the colors!

-mike

04 April 2006
Wow, very nice line art! It reminds me the art of the french master Philipe Druillet.
Great work, mate. keep it that way.

04 April 2006
Thumbs up

This is going to be great!! Look at the sketches!! OMG.. I cant help myself, I wanna paint those..

04 April 2006
Originally Posted by walrus: Those toys had "treads" just like that, and they feel a bit simple for the level of complexity in the rest of your piece. Have you considerred trying something more knobby, like the tires on trucks, construction machinery, bull-dozers, military vehicles...? Maybe not rubbe, as you're clearly going for something metallic, but a race that's figured out heavy artillery surely has also covered basics of traction, too?

Anyhow, sorry for harping on one detail, I'll leave you alone now.
Have fun with the colors!

-mike

Haha, no worries. In FACT, I know just what you are talking about. I think I the wheels are reminiscent of a Warhammer 40K model I had of an Ork tank way back in high school. I agree with you and I will keep that in mind as I go forward. I have already started painting it, so let me get through a few stages first, then I will revisit the wheel design, but good suggestion......

Thanks everyone!

DWIII

www.seanandrewmurray.com

sketchsam.blogspot.com

Last edited by Muttonhead : 04 April 2006 at 03:17 PM.

04 April 2006
Talk about doing a really tight lineart man. This is really tight It will be interesting to see how this develops.

04 April 2006
Coloring WIP: Skulltank color WIP 1

So, my first step is to take my line art and paint basic colors and shades underneath the line work, like a cel. This is to establish a basic groundwork for the shadows and darker tones in the piece. I have lso done some adjusting with the hue/saturation and contrast, just so that I keep myself working within some constraints, as opposed to plopping down every color in the rainbow. I try to limit myself when it comes to color because I know that i am naturally inclined to go overboard with color.

DWIII

www.seanandrewmurray.com

sketchsam.blogspot.com

04 April 2006
Coloring WIP: Skulltank color WIP cont'd

I have already gotten a fair distance along on this. After blocking in basic colors on the bottom layer, I begin to pop out details and highlights on the top layer. I also got rid of the tree... it wasn't working for me. Also, I am still working fairly loose and with big chunks (even though it is hard to tell) but I haven't really zoomed in yet to start noodling details... that will come soon. That's all for now.

Thanks everyone.

DWIII

www.seanandrewmurray.com

sketchsam.blogspot.com

Last edited by Muttonhead : 04 April 2006 at 05:36 AM.

04 April 2006
Hehe I agree with walrus, about no one droppin in ur thread, I have just discovered it! U may need to bounce into others threads, to get more people to come to urs, cause u do incredible work! Keep it up! One of my favorites for technical execution!

04 April 2006
wha.... ?

i... uh... this is
um.

i'll come in again.

Thread Closed share thread