The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Sam Hogg

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #1
The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Sam Hogg

Sam Hogg is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Coloring WIP: Green Goo or not Green Goo?

Old 03 March 2006   #2
Concept Sketch: Concept one - out there?

Just a quick start, as I've only just realised there's another challenge underway! Already missed a month of interaction and art time, so gotta get my skates on!

When you're the mummies boy of the litter, dens't matter how sunny and lovely it is outside, going out there seems like setting off on a big adventure.

Old 03 March 2006   #3
Concept Sketch: concept 2 - dragonfly rider

Just playing with ideas. It seems I have a green fetish this time round. Neither of these seem like me... not fantastical or original enough I think, and it reminds me too much of Jason Chan's work with the girl playing the madolin and the spirit..

I shall keep searching, but I'm trying to take the cues they've left in the info bit of the challenge, about using depth of field and atmospheric haze and small characters.

Old 03 March 2006   #4
Great stuff, i knows u gonna rock

welcome to the challenge, girl

Old 03 March 2006   #5
Zepyhri: woot!! Awsome to see that your entering. great sketches so far, I can't wait to see what idea you go for

Old 03 March 2006   #6
Hey, same welcome and good luck!

Old 03 March 2006   #7
Smile

Hi Luv, welcome Back to the race, missed you here!

as for the sketches, THe kitty is such a sweet thing! Lovely! The dragonfly rider offers a huge epic range and so far is very very promissing, looking forward to what you come up with!
Best of luck and glad you made it too! Have a great Journey Hun!

Old 03 March 2006   #8
Nice sketches, I like your vibrant colours and the "painty" look.

Old 03 March 2006   #9
great to have u back sam~havent seen u around lately and the latest update is pretty cool,keep it coming,i'll see where u lead this to

Old 03 March 2006   #10
Saw and talked to you on DA, I know we'll be seeing some good work from you dude. Cant wait, nice concepts so far!

Old 03 March 2006   #11
i like your cat.

~B

Old 03 March 2006   #12
hooraaay, welcome to the challenge Zepyhri

Sketchbook

Old 03 March 2006   #13
wonderful concept and design! love the color and sense of motion and speed a dragonfly ride would generate.... my only difficulty here is that the rider's hair is blowing the wrong way -- this detracts from the overall feeling of rapid motion that could be achieved.

Old 03 March 2006   #14
Thanks for the feedback guys!
Squib Thanks, I'm hoping to finish this time!
Enialadam Still fiddling with ideas... these are both a bit bright and.. well.. green for me!
Beelow Hi, and same to you!
Sacha Thanks hun, so good to finally be back online! And right in the mix of the challenge!
nigio Thank you.. its something I admire in others, that painterly feel, and its the only way I get stuff down fast
Michael Yes, been offline for a few months, but now raring to go again!
Adonihs Hi fellow devianter.. always great to find familiar faces here and I'm still hunting for that elusive 'me' ness
anzibon heheh.. thank you
vahn Thanks, aw, I feel all welcomed now... *beams*
jevinart valid point... i gues with the dragonflies wings, her hair would be more blown upwards, as the dragonfly is supposed to be hovering while she waves goodbye. Nt sure thats the direction i want to go yet anyhoo.. still churning the ideas!

Old 03 March 2006   #15
Concept Sketch: the wastelands

Now this is more like it.. went hunting for some inspiration in the form of photography and came up with the idea of an outlaw, having just killed the sheriff, having to set out on the long journey to freedom, and somewhere he's not wanted. Except, this being me, he's not your average outlaw, and thats not your average outlaw horse. Will be adding the dead sheriff maybe in later stages, this is just a couple of hours sketching to get a feel for mood and colour and light.

Thread Closed share thread