The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Ramy Badie

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #16
Coloring WIP: Which one?

Which one looks better and should I go with? I'm fairly happy with the new composition, not 100% sure yet, but I'm still not happy with the foreground. I might actually scrap both of these ideas, not sure yet. Let me know which of these two is better, or if you have a third and better idea please let me know :D

Old 03 March 2006   #17
Coloring WIP: faces and shading

While I contemplated what I want in the foreground, I started working on the characters more, and now have a decent base for the shading. I'm not too happy with the girl's and the dad's faces, but I can worry about them later. I still have a lot of work to do obviously. As for the foreground, I was thinking about putting it as some sort of alien ship that's covered in ivy and such, but again I'm not pleased with the idea. Hopefully something brilliant will come to me soon, or someone will suggest something for me.

Old 03 March 2006   #18
love the skeleton. so much more effective at feeling forboading!!! with the natives it just means they'll have an oncounter. with the skeleton we KNOW something's not right.
bravo!

also, watch your proportions. the grown-ups head is way small.

great colors in the bg. really pretty landscape. makes me want to go there except i know about the canibal natives and skeletons and what not.

keep up the good work,
~B

Old 03 March 2006   #19
Whoa! That is a small head.

I like the background painting, lovely loose style and great colours...but you should sort that head out.

Old 03 March 2006   #20
Ah thanks for the feedback, I promise the head will be fixed before the next update And I think I will go forward with the skeleton idea. Hopefully I'll have the picture more developed by the end of the week.

Old 03 March 2006   #21
Coloring WIP: texture work 1

Well, I tried to work on the guy's proportions as promised, I think that he's definitely better but obviously not perfect yet, I'll revisit that later when I get to retouching the characters. I worked a bit on the texturing, don't know if anything is final yet. If you have any suggestions regarding the technique, please let me know I'd be glad to hear it. I really need to slow down on this picture though, I'm spending way too much time all at once on it. I'll synchronize the lighting later once I decide what I want to do with it. Hopefully it'll all come together soon :)

Old 03 March 2006   #22
Nice drawings..

Good luck

Last edited by stavrevstefan : 03 March 2006 at 05:21 AM.

Old 03 March 2006   #23
whoah i like ur style man' nice color

portfolio : www.geocities.com/nardsdesign
favourite links : www.actionscript.org, www.ultrashock.com, www.javascript.com

Old 03 March 2006   #24
Thanks for the kind comments I'm still not pleased with the characters, but I can deal with them again later. For now I still have a LOT of work to do in terms of texturing and coloring the background, hopefully I won't burn out

Old 03 March 2006   #25
Coloring WIP: texture work 2

Here are some closeups from the little details I'm working on right now, obviously still rough. If you have any suggestions regarding the technique, I'd love to hear them, I'm really having a lot of trouble with some of these textures right now.

Old 03 March 2006   #26
man good thing I came here. If you have msn or AIM, I will send you brushes that will definetly help with foilage or leaves, etc. (you can get it off my info or page) IM me whenever, and ill definetly help you out...I love the look on the kids face, kind of like a "Yay/uh oh" face

good work!

Old 03 March 2006   #27
the pic is really looking great! your replay made me chuckle. we didn't mean to get on your case about the head. try using this guys as a mult and see how he compares.

cheers,
~B

Old 03 March 2006   #28
adonihs: wow thanks SO much the brushes are extremely helpful, I'm making so much progress on things that would've taken many extra hours

anzibon: Thanks so much, and I'll fix the figures in a later update I promise. I plan to retouch and redetail them anyway, plus I have to fix the lighting, so the characters are still far from done.

Progress is coming along quite nicely, I'm going away on friday and won't be back until monday, so hopefully I'll be able to finish a lot of the landscape detailing by thursday night. I know progress is going really quickly now but it'll probably slow down fairly soon so I want to get as much done as I can while I'm still feeling the burn

Old 03 March 2006   #29
Coloring WIP: more background :)

Well here's my latest progress, I worked on the sky, plus bushes, etc. Thanks so much once again to adonihs, who helped me immensely plus giving me some advice about various parts of the picture as well as some custom brushes. Thanks so much, if anyone else has advice I'd be more than happy to hear it.

Last edited by ramy badie : 04 April 2006 at 01:51 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #30
Coloring WIP: bushes

More work on background details, trying to work on this as quickly as I can because I know at the end I'm going to have to redetail everything and synchronize the lighting, in addition to repainting the characters >< Bah I really hope I have enough time for this, I know the month of April is going to be quite busy so I need to really get moving on this. Once again, criticism greatly appreciated (even on previous steps of course), I really need to get this as good as I can.

Thread Closed share thread