The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Anders Bierberg Hald

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

04 April 2006
That's great, has a real atmosphere to it. No crits, except the newspaper would look better (IMO) if moved towards the corner, otherwise the far right of the image doesn't really hold anything of interest.
  04 April 2006
looking really great!!

one crit though:

i think your current image is unbalanced by the large gray space in the top left. to be honest, your original concept image is much more powerful and attractive.

good luck!
  04 April 2006
very nice pic the sky and the clouds are very impressive, good job
  04 April 2006
okay, looks better.

its hard to say who is going on the trip, is it the small boy or the 2 guys in the middle of the picture. unless i zoomed in like 500x and saw that those guys have sacks and stuff, i would honestly think that the boy is the one going away.

the guy in the middle is over exposed to the sunlight. you have to tone it down and add some more detail to him and his face, we need to see some expression from him. sad, lonely, etc..

maybe the kid should be sitting on a rock looking away from (lets call them his parents) his parents, seeing him crying, upset and angry about them going away.

i can see a vertical line where you widened the picture, fix it. you should add more width to it, more "what is there in the horizon", the trip is about going... going to the horizon.

the exodus thing is a nice touch

edit : that guy is right your second sketch with the bridge framing the picture is more powerful, you should definitely think of either taking the intense color scheme or bridge framing and use it some how. also the picture is wider.. which makes it look awesome.

keep it up.

Last edited by warpy : 04 April 2006 at 10:59 AM.
  04 April 2006
Something doesn't add up with the light source on the girl. If it is so bright, so it can alter the color of her shirt, how come it doesn't create strong shadow on the truck? Other than that, Very nice piece!
  04 April 2006
Coloring WIP: and on it goes :D

taking all the crit im getting and thinking it through..
since allmost every thing you guys have mentioned "warpy" has in hes single comment.. so im gonna answer to that commen.. here..

this is far from the finnished picture.. so things like lines from expanding the canvas will appear from time to time (but thanks for saying.. cus in the odd case that i would have missed it completely in the final picture..)
i have widened the picture to the left and made the boy bigger.. the two people in fron of him is a girl and a boy (i will post a closeup right after this) this picture is really low quality.. so every detail is buggered.. just comment on the composition (if you comment based on this particular picture)

i need to do alot of corrections to the foreground grass all over to fit the perspective..
  04 April 2006
Coloring WIP: Cropped detail shot

here is a detail of the main characters.

i hope you all can see that it is a girl now :D

nothing on it is finnished yet.. the bag, the boy in hte back, the clothes, the hands.. nothing.. but plz post your comments and advice on how you think it would be done best :)

she doesent look super sad here.. shes gonna look sader :P

Last edited by Bierberg : 04 April 2006 at 08:29 PM.
  04 April 2006
Originally Posted by Bierberg:

now that you've expanded the canvas, you can really see what i was talking about. the dark area in the middle of the picture is really eye catching and distracting from the overall image.

there are a few things you can do to make it more attractive and aesthetically pleasing.

1. make it less solid so that more sky can be seen through parts of it which will break up the solid block of dark color

2. change the composition :\

3. make the bridge in ruins?

i just think that something to create a little more detail and interest while also reducing the eye-sore aspect of that part of the image would be beneficial to your overall picture.

really love the pic so far and keep up the good work
  05 May 2006
Coloring WIP: More WIP

k.. i have tried to make the bridge more distant..

and i have flipped the direction of the clouds, this clears the air above the characters.. putting more focus on them.. and it closes the emptyness to the left... but now there is a whole lot of emptyness to the right.. even more since i have widened the scene to push the bridge a little (again again again)

is there to much going on at the centre of the image now?? i think so.. but perhaps thats cos i haven made any details to the sides yet...
  05 May 2006
the last update really works i think. it really shows the vastness of the outdoors compared to the child. very well done.
Yaroslav Kravchenko - Link
Steampunk! - Link
YOU WiERDO! - Spore
  05 May 2006
very nice work here! especially like the crumbling overpass as it stretches into the distance. excellent sense of depth and sensitive attention to lighting and mood....
  05 May 2006
Ah yes, this latest composition really works well. I'll enjoy watching this one. Good wor, nice paint application.
My Website

05 May 2006
The last up is good by this before was better for me, just an opinion
  05 May 2006
Final Coloring: Thats about it..

This will propably be the second last image i will be submitting..

i have added the details and blended the seams...

and a bit of colour retouching..

this is the last chance to tell me if you think something is out of place..

05 May 2006
NIce picture. Good perspective. I would just say the intention of the characters (so of the picture) is not really clear.

Thread Closed share thread