The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Steven Stahlberg

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #61
I like the idea, but I think another challenger has the idea of a vampire and victim, just thought I should let ya know

I really like the sketch of the girl!!

Old 03 March 2006   #62
Coloring WIP: Together forever

Started the color and detailing, changed her pose and stuff

Old 03 March 2006   #63
Yes I noticed, not surprising since it's one of the first things I thought of, which usually means someone else thought of it too.
I resisted the idea, and I'm still not sure if it fits the theme. I mean, I can make it fit with a shoe-horn... but it's not as perfect a fit as my other idea, the one with the landscape. But then the landscape to me is a more 'bland' idea as I mentioned... (More on that wip tomorrow)

Old 03 March 2006   #64

How long did that take you to do?? It practically looks finished!

Old 03 March 2006   #65

Old 03 March 2006   #66
Umm...LOL the expression of the guy is just kind of funny.

This might be hard to take seriously...

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 03 March 2006   #67
haha well looks to me like hes trying to sneak a peak lol not sure bout anyone else havin a vampire pic..i allmost started makin vampires..but there have been way too many of those ..but im sure id notice one in the challenge..but dont hold me to it i was aaway for few days..personally i liked the other one more..maybe its because i have some sort of an aversion to metaphoric illustrations,,then again i called mine on the ssame topic the night i ways born ..so in the end it might be slightly hipoctitic from me..anyways..maybe a lil more dramatic position on the girl would add to the mood and kinda establish the feeling of her startin a journey..ah dunno ..ignore me .too much caffeine tonight lol

Old 03 March 2006   #68
Well, I can connect that a woman getting converted can be a beginning of a journey, Almost all the entries seem literal though compared to this one. Hehe, someone already beat u to the punch, I dislike that sometimes, haha! Nice sketches dude! Keep the juices flowing! Maybe, u need to take a walk around the city and get some inspiration, or maybe think about something relative to your life. That usually helps me! Will keep an eye out for ya!

Old 03 March 2006   #69
I definitely think the landscape idea fits the theme better - the link is a bit ambiguous with the vampire pic.

Just keep playing around with ideas til you find something that feels right - that gets you excited. It's not like you're running out of time!

Old 03 March 2006   #70
Originally Posted by nebezial: haha well looks to me like hes trying to sneak a peak lol ...

exactly what i was thinking

Old 03 March 2006   #71
Hey Steven. I like the work on the latest one a lot. Very interesting idea. But the first sketch with the landscape is more of a journey but for me is a bit boring concept. I think you can find another aproach as interesting as your latest one but reflecting more of the journey, not nessesary being too visual as your landscape one!! Good luck and is good to see you taking part in this challenge!! I'll be checking out!

Old 03 March 2006   #72
HI Steven!

I like the idea, that the journey is not a journey along a long road, but more a journey in a mental and physical evolution, going from sweet innocent young girl to vampire,.
I think it will work out very good
Very good concept artwork!

My Journey entry (3d)
My Spectacular entry (3D)
good luck to you all....................

Old 03 March 2006   #73
lol, I love the expression on the guy's face it's hilarious, looks as if he's a bit bored and rather than concentrating on that juicy leg he would rather stare out the window . Its great how you have given the image that gloomy Victorian feel, although the white highlight's makes it seem as if its happening during the day time.

My favorite piece though is "moving down the highway" , the colours in it are really amazing don't know why but it reminds me of the colour palette that Vincent Van Gogh used (must be the oranges and yellow's). I also like the close up of the character, I would like to see it combined with "moving down the highway", although keeping the silhouette of that character looking down the highway, as if their traveling companions. The one taking her break while the other look to see whats ahead.

Anyway, great work.

Old 03 March 2006   #74
Cheers

Yo Steven, best of luck with the competition.

I'm a bit in the same boat you are with subject matter. My piece is implying that there will be a jorney after a illustrated event and I'm wondering if it will fit within the theme of the competition.

Your landscape really has great depth and looks great.

Together Forever; maybe a different moment in time would better imply a jorney she wants to take. Like her begging to be bittin on the neck. Or her smiling lovingly at the vampire after she has been bitten. just my 2 cents.

Old 03 March 2006   #75
Wow...very cool. This is a very original interpretation of the theme "The Journey Begins". I favor this one over the first. While I love the impressionist palette of the first one, I find the composition a bit predictable.

In any case, great work

HelzerSketch Blog

Thread Closed share thread