The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Steven Stahlberg

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #46
Originally Posted by paperclip:

Good luck, Steven...not that you'll need it...nice to see you around!

Yeah

By the way...2d? Not 3d?

U nuts..don't give him ideas...he 's gonna whoop our a$$ too!

Hope you have fun in this challenge!

Yeah,indeed have fun ...and very pleasant colors in your image if i may add......

Old 03 March 2006   #47
Thanks everybody!

Quote: not sure about the central wall - what's it for?

Yes, the wall... well it's a half-hearted attempt at making the road look like a modern highway, with a divider and two lanes of traffic in both directions (you know, like a post-apocalyptic future)... I thought, if I made the road look huge in relation to the character, the sense of scale would increase - I want the landscape to look as huge as possible. But, it didn't really work that well. Plus, it lacks logic.

Using this as a background for something different - that's exactly what I've been thinking about. Let's see if I can make another sketch today.

Old 03 March 2006   #48
Oh, really beautiful landscape! I taken with your nice colours.

Best wishes.

Old 03 March 2006   #49
Concept Sketch: Closeup of charactere

Okay, I'm trying to get a more interesting pose on the character in the image, here I'm thinking maybe she's sitting by the roadside waiting for some kind of carriage or bus... Probably making the character much bigger/closer than before.

Old 03 March 2006   #50
Great stuff steven. Nice color. Keeping an eye on this thread. Good luck.

Visit my online portfolio

Old 03 March 2006   #51
Nice pose, Steven, it very much looks like she's waiting for her Journey to begin... But of course, crouched down like that she'll take up less space on the canvas than standing, so you may need to move her even closer...

Anyhow, it's exciting to see you entering this Challenge. I hope this means that not only will we all get to learn from you as you develop your great work, but that you'll also be visiting lots of other threads to share your experience and insights!

Best of luck, and have fun!

-mike

Old 03 March 2006   #52
Excellent! like so much the tones of the landscape of the page 2 and the pose you put right here. Good luck man!

Zalo
TWITTER

Old 03 March 2006   #53
Amazing work as always. It looks more like, the Journey's end is in sight, or I'm half way through the journey, rather than the Journey begins.

Massive update to my site, tons of new art!

”I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.”
Roy Batty, replicant.

Old 03 March 2006   #54
I see you are going to end the journey with an outstanding image as usual. The pose of your character is great, I agree with Walrus, she must be larger in the image. I´ll be watching you Masster...

Old 03 March 2006   #55
i dig the brushwork, and color balance kicks ass..great work overall

Old 03 March 2006   #56
The sense of depth is amazing in this picture. Gives the impression of a truly epic journey ahead. I also like the way that you can't see the finish line. Gives a sense of mystery about where exactly the character is headed. It'll be interesting to see how exactly the character fits in with this composition. Very nice so far.

Old 03 March 2006   #57
ohh yeah nice to see you in this challenge...you added excitement to the competition

Old 03 March 2006   #58
Yeah that could work, Just one character right? I am still unsure what u want to go for in this piece, but u have a lovely color pallete! Did u want to have the character to be alone, in a barren desolate area? I would like to see more sketches, I will keep an eye out for this one!

Old 03 March 2006   #59
Line Art: Together forever

Okay, here's a completely different approach I thought of yesterday, let's see where it leads. Because it has mostly negative associations, it may not fit the topic perfectly - "journey" to me sounds positive - but strictly speaking she is embarking on something new, and possibly long-lasting...

edit:
But I'm not flushing the landscape, not yet. I'll add in that character first, see what it looks like.
Quote: I am still unsure what u want to go for in this piece

Yes, that's it's problem right there. Awe and excitement are emotions that are very vague and also hard to evoke in any strength, so most people are left with a bit of a 'meh' feeling of this, at least so far. :)

Last edited by Stahlberg : 03 March 2006 at 06:32 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #60
haha funny

Thread Closed share thread