The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Steven Stahlberg

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2006
Hi stahlberg !
Big fan here, The composition here seems strange, but I 'm sure you'll get a great final picture.
Colors and atmosphere are already great, but I think you should try a more original angle of view with impressive contrasts etc.
You knwo as you others great picture, try to think "epic" and "narrative".

good luck. I'll check later.

My Journey Begins Challenge Thread:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=328222

03 March 2006
welcome mr. stahlberg

colors and bg comp are pretty cool ... just cant get friendly with the position of the character

Sketchbook

03 March 2006
Another noob, when are we going to get some competition around here?...

That sketch is so simple yet very effective.

03 March 2006
concept??? o crap. were all doomed.

love the colours in this.. was actually staring at it and getting lossed in it.. sounds cheesy but its true!

03 March 2006
Coloring WIP: Moving down the highway

Thanks guys! :)
Here's a more worked version... still not happy with it though, it's still boring. Yeah, I agree about the composition, but the more basic problem is the idea. I'll sketch some more ideas, see what develops.

03 March 2006
For some reason I can't help but imagine a fella on the top of that hill with a skateboard and a look on his face.

03 March 2006
Stahlberg..this is not boring, that´s my opinion, I liked very much. Waiting for more ideas
Best luck!
Gus

caught somewhere in time
-----------------------------------------------

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by Stahlberg: it's still boring

still i couldn't help being a bit impressed. great feelin of depth, nice colors too

ps. good one , 'clip

03 March 2006
How could you do this fantastic piece of art in just a moment? And you say it's boring?

03 March 2006
Welcome to the contest steven, it is an honor to see u enter this contest, good luck, mate!

03 March 2006
Thanks!
Quote: How could you do this fantastic piece of art in just a moment? And you say it's boring?

Oh, no, not a moment, it took hours and hours.
And when I say boring, I don't want to give the wrong impression... I'm not playing with false humility. What I mean is, the picture is pretty, and I know I can make it even prettier, and it does speak to me on a certain level... (when I was a kid I dreamed of a situation like this, just walking walking to a far horizon, to see what was around the corner, experiencing new sights, emotions and adventures every few miles, in a glorious Swedish summer climate...) But I feel like it's not enough. It's a bit too "sweet" if you know what I mean. There's no salt or spice in this dish. Perhaps it needs a different light, not high noon but morning or afternoon... perhaps it needs a dark tower in the middle distance... or perhaps there's nothing to be done about it, and I might be better off going with a new idea. I'll think about this some more.

03 March 2006
I think you should keep the landscape for sure, maybe play around with the people somewhat, get some interesting characters going that will spice up the pic? A motley crew?

May I ask how exactly do you get such great color harmony going? Do you have a technique or is it intuitive?

03 March 2006
lovely coloring of those last two colWIPs!
the landscapes of yellow, reminds me of Van Gogh..

Good stuff!

CHARACTER DESIGN

03 March 2006
I like the use of colour - it has a relaxing, almost dream-like quality... as if you could float across the landscape...

Nice to have you in the contest - I look forward to watching this progress

03 March 2006
The colors are amazing, I really like them. The bg is has still some undefined spots, but then there still like 70 days left

I think the reason it looks a bit boring as you say it is that the foreground is somewhat empty I think. Putting in another character would help, or an overshadowing tree or something (or a broken down gateway of stone or whatever ) A big character holding the girls hand or something.

This side up

Thread Closed share thread