The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Kevin Soderlund

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2006
like that!

03 March 2006
Hi mate,That 's interesting story and the face 's muscle of your character is perfect. Good job )))

03 March 2006
thanks, man! appreciate the great words.... here's the color progress as it stands today (still have a lot to add, but will give a general idea of the scheme and mood...)

03 March 2006
Looking good, man! Maybe add some destruction, like way in the background, give a more dramatic feel to it! Just a suggestion though, I like the anatomy of the face of the character!

03 March 2006
thanks for the great comment, and the sugg -- will definitely keep that in mind (maybe some smoke -- way distant in the jungle -- trailing into the sky from a burning village?).....

03 March 2006

sounds cool, maybe even a napalm strike in the far distance .. ?

03 March 2006
Coloring WIP: Color WIP -- Soldier Detail / Face & Helmet

Here's another WIP close-up detail of the soldier's face with helmet. I'm including the Painter interface to show my working environment as I paint.... The next step is to define the soldier's torso with straps of bullets...

03 March 2006
prolly should go ahead and lay ur solids down for the guys in foreground! Save the detailing for last! That is usually how I work and I got amazing results doing that and it speeds up the process! But, it seems to be coming together. Nice to meet another Painter fanatic!

03 March 2006
yeah -- i normally work that way too. on this particular piece, tho, i found the soldier's face to be extremely challenging -- probably the most difficult face i've painted (as i never shy away from a challenge, i took this one head-on -- literally). i really wanted to get this area's detail in place to set the mood, and set the stage for the level of detail to follow. also, i really enjoy this character; sometimes when i'm having a real good time with my art, i throw conventional methods and processes aside and just go with the pleasure of it all (my art is purely a labor of love)!

all of the color will be blocked in shortly (completing the final color milestone), then the rest of the painting will pull the detail together in its entirety. the main character will, however, be the most detailed, pulling the viewer's attention to him as the primary focus, with the enviornment behind as a secondary and supportive element....

i also immerse myself in reference material for the work at hand as well -- i've purchased several movies and CD's relating to this era, and am creating a time capsule dating back to 1969 in my head while i take on this challenge. been a long time since i've watched "woodstock" and listened to jimmy hendrix & jefferson airplane!!!

03 March 2006
This is a great update. I really identify with the character's face—so emotional. No harm in the way you're working because Michelangelo and Rodin worked details before laying out the total composition. Rodin's sculptures are renowned for their purposely unfinishednessment (I just made up a word).

03 March 2006
hey, JTD -- thanks for the cool comment! i'm actually in full agreement here; i prefer not to be a slave to procedure when i work... sometimes when i get truly inspired (as in this piece) i just go with the flow and see where it takes me...

03 March 2006
great work, kevin you're really talented in painting faces, it's wonderful!
i also like your idea, to show some smoke in the distant jungle.
can't wait to see an update!

best regards & good luck, mate
Salamander

03 March 2006
thanks, salamander! really appreciate the kind words.... can't wait to dive in and get a lot more done on this puppy over the weekend...!

03 March 2006
Haha! that's all good dude. Go ahead and do what u feel that is best dude. I was just merely saying that this painting will appear to be finished with some color on the guys jacket, as opposed to the white canvas, as u have other eyes looking at this as well as I! But, this entry is really looking good, and it is really nice to see that ur referencing heavily to get the idea accross of the era and feeling of the time! Do what u do though, as I can clearly see your ability in what u are capable of!

03 March 2006
i'm pretty much an anarchist when it comes to my art (hell, in life all 'round, i guess...). don't really adhere to the rulez all the time (will probably cost me in this challenge in the end, but that's o.k. -- just here 'cause i luv what i do). art for me is a pleasure and not a labor -- don't really worry about the end product -- or the process that taks me there. unless the end product is crap. well, then i worry.....

Thread Closed share thread