The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Kevin Soderlund

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #1
The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Kevin Soderlund

Kevin Soderlund is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Journey Into War

The date is December 11, 1969. A young soldier, fresh out of boot camp, takes his first steps down from a chopper and into the jungles of Vietnam. At that very moment, the innocence of youth is stripped away forever, replaced with the life-and-death struggle of instantaneous manhood. Amid the magenta-colored fog of war, our hero assesses his new predicament, and the dangerous journey ahead of him. He pauses for a moment as the true realization hits him with brutal force – and everything familiar he has known throughout his life disappears on the wind; fading like the whir of rotors from the departing choppers, leaving with their cargo of wounded and fallen comrades…

Last edited by jevinart : 05 May 2006 at 03:24 AM.

Old 03 March 2006   #2
Concept Sketch: Journey into War

the date is december 11, 1969, and a young soldier, fresh out of training, has just stepped down from a chopper and into his first glimpse of war.

the journey begins as his boots crunch the moist soil of a foreign land -- everything safe and familiar is suddenly behind him. in the split-second of disorientation and throat-clenching fear that takes hold -- mixed with the realization that every decision he makes from this moment forward could mean the difference between life or death -- the young boy becomes a man. a long road of horror and bloodshed lay before him, masked by the dangerous undergrowth and tropical foliage of vietnam....

Last edited by jevinart : 03 March 2006 at 05:28 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #3
Line Art: Journey into War

the concept sketch and line art are one in the same -- created in a single sitting (this is how i work).... next step is to add a color wash.

Last edited by jevinart : 03 March 2006 at 10:41 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #4
Talking looks good

Nice line work ....

good perspective....

Good emotion on the face of the Character...

Looks like the start of a winner too me...

Old 03 March 2006   #5
excelent and done very well.

Old 03 March 2006   #6
many thanks! your comments are greatly appreciated!

Old 03 March 2006   #7
The facial expression is wonderful. That tense uncertainty, combined with a soldier-like stoicism. Beautiful.

Old 03 March 2006   #8
many thanks! I was particularly struck by the expression on this young soldier (am using real vietnam war footage, composited together, for my reference material) -- he had such a powerful aura about him; his face told the story i was looking for....

am in the color phase now (was a very long day yesterday, but got a lot accomplished!). The final will have a very overcast, bleak look to it, with muted muddy colors and a hazy atmosphere...

Old 03 March 2006   #9
I agree, the soldier expression is great, and the drawing is nice. I like the theme. I'll be looking forward for the colour work.

Old 03 March 2006   #10
appreciate it! the color work is underway, and i should be posting an update soon. thanks for the excellent comment!

Old 03 March 2006   #11
Coloring WIP: Soldier Detail -- Color Comp

this is a color WIP of the soldier's face (close-up detail).

Old 03 March 2006   #12
It's good to see something different, but fits into the challenge perfectly. Good work so far, your concept is great.

Old 03 March 2006   #13
Wow, very cool coloring you got there. I love how you've included alot of colors in his skin. Keep it up!

Old 03 March 2006   #14
thanks, peeps! i wanted to really think outside the box on this one, and go back in time to a real, pivotal moment in someone's life at the beginning of their own personal journey....

as far as the colors go -- just gettin' started. really appreciate the feedback!

Old 03 March 2006   #15
nice

full metal sketchbook.

love the expression, will be watching

Thread Closed share thread