The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Simon Dominic Brewer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2006
Coloring WIP: Detail (zoomed)ff

Adding some more detail on one of the trees. Zoomed 40%. I can see I'm going to be very, very tired of painting trees by the end of this comp.

03 March 2006
W!L - Thanks, nice of you to drop by

NOOB! - Cheers!

-tolga- - Thanks, more to come

03 March 2006
I love this gnarly look. Do you use any particular brushes for it or is it just the standard stuff?

Do you have any tutorials floating around- I'd like to see one by you...

03 March 2006
paperclip - A while ago I spent some time defining two custom brushes. Took about a day to get right, but I think they make a difference. They're based on oils, with blend / resat / opacity etc. linked to brush attributes, like pressure. BTW - That was weird, as I was reading your post I got an email from a certain mag asking me if I'd do some tutorials and asking if I had any ideas - maybe I'll do one on trees!

03 March 2006
Me too, I like your painting style, you´ve got very developed skills. I find the trees a bit too dark, but I know you´re now in early stages, and that can change later.

03 March 2006
Would that mag be ImagineFX by any chance?

Also, have you really only been painting for 3 years? Amazing progress!

03 March 2006
paperclip - no, I believe it's for 2dartist (the 3dtotal people). FX did ask if I'd do some stuff a while back; I said OK but haven't heard back. Oh, and it's nearer 4 years now - I must update my website

03 March 2006

This is so far the most impressive entry I've seen in the 2D forum.

*subscibes*

03 March 2006
Mmm.. that is a nice bit of gnarled oak!

I'm wondering if it would be mostly green though? - I've noticed that about trees - even though the bark colour is brown, they are usually mostly green due to the algae. I think it depends on the species of tree and the climate.

Looking good though...

03 March 2006
how did I miss all these updates!! I adore the concept and the details wow! This is looking great!

I'm trying to use painter on my idea the moment, I'm finding it difficult to get the hang of the brushes. So I keep going back to photoshop.

Great work!

Last edited by umbrellasky : 03 March 2006 at 05:19 PM.

03 March 2006
stunning update so far.i have no crit.it's so nice done.keep going.ican't wait for more.

Chronominater Project Concept Demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQX3v3wtknc

03 March 2006
lvely... i always love work that is done in painter, there is a certain something about it. i cant get to grips with it at all.. keep going back to photoshop.

03 March 2006
amazing amount of work...
can't wait to see the final look.

journey begins 2D

masters and servants 2D

webby

03 March 2006
yo mr impossible

always fun to watch you paint..that detail looks amazing already. It will be a great experience to watch you growing those trees

Sketchbook

03 March 2006
This is coming along very nicely. I love the details so far. Can't wait to see more of it done. Keep it up.

Thread Closed share thread