The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Simon Bull

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #46
Thumbs up

Nice concept, I like it.
Yes, I think the guy could be much smaller, so the hopelessness of his journey would be much huger.

Old 03 March 2006   #47
LOL just uploaded almost the exact same idea, and then i saw yours

you're much further ahead though and posted the idea before me, so I think i'll crawl back to the drawing board now

Nice work looking great! Looking forward to see where its going!

Old 03 March 2006   #48
I'm okay with him this size, though it's not clear whether he's a grown man or a boy. More work on the figure will easily cure my confusion.

One idea might be to have him pointing the torch down the corridor, illuminating it... and compositionally serving as an arrow into the maze...

Anyhow, good luck!

mike

Old 03 March 2006   #49
Maze

Simon I am liking the maze idea, that really looks good. I was wondering if you put your traveler tighter in the picture and just enough of the maze so that its size is apparent? Does that make sense? Just a thought!!

Old 03 March 2006   #50
This is a great idea. It reminds me of the movie labyrinth. Keep up the good work

My Spectacular

Old 03 March 2006   #51
Man, what a journey! Looks great! Keep it up

Old 03 March 2006   #52
I really like what you have so far, but I think the figure would look better if it were smaller. The maze doesn't look so hopeless now, and with him that size it almost looks as if he could kick off the walls all kung-fu or Mario style and get up to the top of the maze and complete it the easy way.

Old 03 March 2006   #53
It goes very well I think. I agree with previous post.If the figure would be smaller the journey would be far more greater.Very dark and nice coloring!

Old 03 March 2006   #54
...Setting a labyrinth in the middle of mountains seems a bit paradoxal... as it gives reference in space helping anyone going in there to find his way back to the start or even through it with a bit of trial and error... Feels wrong to me, I'd skip the mountains cause of that.

my 2 cents.

Adriano

Old 03 March 2006   #55
sfrey: thanks and the guy was just a very quick sketch in ...as i said when i posted it i thought it sorta was too big and sucked anyway...lol..ill get on tho the guy in a bit

Overchord: sorry :( and i wish you all the best!

walrus:all points taken im actually thinking of what the figure should be...boy..girl (i dont think it will be a girl...too...dunno...well thats what everybody always seems to do around here...)...im just thinking young man...although i just though it would be quite evil to make it a really old man...with a walking frame...sad :(

binksterb: i get what ya mean..its been in the back of my mind the whole time...but ive also been thinking that i want the maze to dominate alot more than anything else...i really want it more of a surreal landscape rather than a figure/portrait painting like others..

wildcory1: that topic has come up alot for me in the last few days from friends here...makes me feel like watching it now...i really liked the evil walls in that...hehe...oh and i had nightmares about the well with the hands throughout my whole life...heheh

Zycho:yay!! thanks!

Feimi: yaeh as above ive been a thinking that too..oh... i like kung-fu flips...
i have always been thinking that even at the start of the maze it should seem very dark big and evil...that includes very tall walls

Velarion: yep yep...gonna get on that one ASAP...thanks for the help and kindness

Adriano_Zanetti: i can see what ya mean but also if there is a sun or stars couldnt you do the same thing? last time i was in a hedge maze i remembered feeling very lost very quickly even though there were buildings all around me...lol...also if i was making a maze like this i would be very sure to use those reference points to trick people...always think ya know where ya going then BAM!! dead end...lol jsut like real life
but all that said..ill look at doing something aside from the mountains...

thanks all for the love and comments keep em a comming....you are all helping me heaps!!

Old 03 March 2006   #56
Hey now I was doing the same thing. Well sort of. Looks good.

Old 03 March 2006   #57
Coloring WIP: a more realistic guy.

after all the comments about the guy i thought that i should fix him up so it looks a little more how i imagined it...

so now here it is...

again its still got a ways to go but i think its comming together alot more...

next i think ill work on the made and give it a bit of texter, roughness and generally make it look alot more realistic than it does at this stage..

im thinking really old crumbled stone/ brick would be cool...

Old 03 March 2006   #58
BluePulse: damn...im sorry man...i never saw your post...i though id look through them all to see if there was anything similar...

but i think that our ideas are quite different eventhough they both involve mazes...

crap...im sorry :(

Old 03 March 2006   #59
Originally Posted by BluePulse: Hey now I was doing the same thing. Well sort of. Looks good.

That is bound to happen at some point. I agree with Simon, the ideas/concepts are different enough that I don't think either of you should worry about it.

Great job so far, and neat trick with the perspective on the maze.

Old 03 March 2006   #60
I do like what you have done with your maze concept. Very nice. I like the colours and the perspective.

Thread Closed share thread