The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: David Freeman

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2006   #31
Thanks anzibon

I have to say that after the last challenge i felt very similar....sometimes the inspiration is there or maybe an image just seems to work and the other times, you can go round and round in circles. Last time I got bogged down with trying to be too clever and come up with a really dynamic perspective whereas this time I'm focusing more on mood and lighting.

I like painting in this way and it's a lot cheaper than using real oils.

I see what you mean about C3PO similarities...I'm a 70's child so always thinking Star Wars even on a subliminal level. better make some quick alterations....thanks for the advice and keep on painting

Old 04 April 2006   #32
Great color work mate

They feel alive. Good job! This is only the beginning. More please

Old 04 April 2006   #33
Great color usage! One of my new favs!

Massive update to my site, tons of new art!

”I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.”
Roy Batty, replicant.

Old 04 April 2006   #34
can't get those smilees to work....mmmmm

Thanks Falcor_ Great to see you back and thanks for your comments

cheers Jose-Pardo..... your support and advice is much appreciated

I'm just concentrating on getting the robot character working...so fingers crossed

More soon, though off to the coast for a couple of days, so hope to post something before I leave...otherwise i'll take the laptop with me and try and get a few hours in whilst I'm away and have more to show on Monday

Old 04 April 2006   #35
woww!!! color great dude!!

Guardian of the Mountains - Necromancer - Dragon

Old 04 April 2006   #36
Great colors you have going there! This is one of my favorites and I'll keep a close eye on this one from now on. The only crit I have so far is about the composition- it's divided too neatly in half, one half with the (adorable!) kids and the bots and then you have the other half with the landscape and the mountain. If I were you, I'd spread the people out some more so the halves aren't fighting for attention so much.

Once again......beautiful work....I really like that style you have going there!

Old 04 April 2006   #37
Couple of quick remarks:
-Maybe the wall should make one extra turn towards the travellers.
-Such bold use of colors...Loving it.

Now, the first question I have when I check out the different posts for this contest is "What's the story?"
O.K. Maybe the second question.
Right after "Why can't I be that good?"

So, what's the story? Your illo seems to suggest that the kids want to reach the mountain in the distance. They could conveniently maybe just walk on top of the wall and voilà.
If the mountain is the objective, then maybe there should be a major obstacle, like a breach in the wall, that would rule out that route. If not, why the map?

Maybe robots need to continuously check their bearings.

I'll certainly check your progression.

Old 04 April 2006   #38
Nice update dude it is starting to come alive! The characters poses are convincing really good stuff!

Old 04 April 2006   #39
Thanks vader... pleased you like the colours...more soon I hope!

Thank you paperclip.....i see what you mean about the composition. i've been playing with some ideas for the background and I definitely will take your advice on board when planning the final composition / alterations

great points jayday ... I have to say that in past challenges i've spent far too long working out some crazy story where as this time around I've concentrated on getting across the emotions and feelings of the children first. though I do have a storyline that I'm working on, so more soon... i do have some earlier sketches which might explain one or two of the ideas of a story I had, so I'll post these when I get a chance

Thanks beelow... Pleased you like the updates...just got back from a weekend away on the coast....i sketched some great rock formations along the cliffs overlooking the sea, which just may feature in the background...

Well only two meetings today as my next job kick off in earnest next week, so I'll hopefully get in some time on this later

Old 04 April 2006   #40
Cool beans david, I hope to see some of that in ur work good luck with it!

Old 04 April 2006   #41
very nice used of colors mr freeman~the red and blue contrast perfectly

Old 04 April 2006   #42
Have to agree that the coloruse is really interesting. Their expressions are very believable too. Keep it up!

Old 04 April 2006   #43
Coloring WIP: Character Development

I've altered the robot and added more complementary colours to add more depth and atmosphere.

My main problem is that I tend to get carried away on details that just get lost when looking at the whole painting, so I'm trying to not zoom in so much.

the girl on the right is starting to work and colour and shadow are improving. Still feels a bit flat, but I'm adding more colour to all the characters as well as more contrasting light which definitely helps.

Old 04 April 2006   #44
Looking great, David! I see what you mean about zooming in on the details or not... Seeing the closeup of the 2 left kids, they both look fnatastic... but zoom out a bit and the left girl gets a bit muddy and doesn't look quite as finished (the boy in green's face still holds up as fantastic, though! ) The robot is still looking a bit cartoony compared to the kids, but I know you'll refine it more.

Hey, here's a trick that may help - apologies if it's already obvious. I only recently figured out how to do this in Photoshop CS 'though I used to use it all the time in PS7 and below: Go to Window>Arrange>New Window for "yourFilename." It opens up a new window for the same fiel you're working on, so you can have one zoomed in close and other zoomed out. I find it really helpful for working on details and silultaneously seeing how they affect the picture as a whole. Like I said, if it's obvious and you've been using it already, never mind!

-mike

Old 04 April 2006   #45
Thanks Mike

I've been using Photoshop for a long time and never knew you could do that - I suppose that's the only problem with teaching yourself software .

I really love the early stages of blocking in colour and shapes and the freedom this allows, but getting from this to something more finished is always tricky.

thanks for the great advice and i'll try and sort the girls face and robot later today

Dave

Thread Closed share thread