The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: David Freeman

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2006   #16
nice having u back david*haha walrus's right*giants bird been taken*haha,good luck mate and have a great ride
will see whats ur next progress

Old 04 April 2006   #17
Line Art: composition development

I have started to add depth and detail to the background as well as adding in the mechanical guide.

Additional colour really has started to help add space to the composition.

More soon

Old 04 April 2006   #18
Coloring WIP: composition development

I'm really enjoying working on this and after a crazy few weeks working on other things, it is really good to get to grips with this challenge at long last.

I've added the tree to help link elements and also help the lighting.

i hope to work on the composition for the next few days and then start on the details.

All comments (within reason) are welcome

Old 04 April 2006   #19
I would like to see some kind of light source coming from the robot to light the children's faces, that would give a little more to work with, like facial expressions and stuff, hehe ur moving along dude, keep it up!

Old 04 April 2006   #20
Thanks again Beelow

I have to agree with you on this....Not sure if to stick to a warm glow which enhances the existing light on their faces, or have a more unatural blue.

I quite liked the idea of some sort of technological map that actually radiates blue light - a cross between a computer screen and a mechanical device.

The whole image needs to have an imaginary / fairytale style feel that reflects a childs crazy imagination, so lots to do yet. Luckily, I have a few days rest before my next big job kicks in, so I should get quite a long way.

Old 04 April 2006   #21
Coloring WIP: composition - tweaking

Things are beginning to fall in to place and though still lacking detail, the composition is working better.

Still a little unsure about the robots in terms of positioning and I might make the girl on the left a little smaller so she is right with the other two rather than slightly nearer as at the present time.

I mmust now try and get the facial expressions working which is where the reall fun begins.. :)

Old 04 April 2006   #22
I like the compo a lot better, must agree with that, still a lot more work to do dude, keep it up!

Old 04 April 2006   #23
Thumbs up

Very interesting idea, as always is pleasant to me your color scale
In which you work
In the foreground it is the small robot?
Good luck!

Old 04 April 2006   #24
hi David, the thumb of this work attracted me with its gorgeous colour tones, and the image is quite enchanting upclose too! Though the mountain is perhaps the more 'done' choice for the background, the story works nicely with it, and makes the robot seem even more magical as he's then out of place in what first appears to be a fantasy painting with children.

Though having said that, it's only because I read your description that I even realised there was a robot holding the map! i read it as the boy in green looking at a map with some strangely coloured pattern on it, and that the girl on the left was holding some sort of toy robot, which puzzled me even more! Once seen, the robot does look very good, but I think something needs to be done with the placement of the characters to make it more obvious he's there, or the contrast or colouring on him needs to be increased. Or is there any way you could have some sort of platform the robot could be stood on (branch, hill, that sort of thing), reading the map while the children clamour round him?

Other than that, I love your painting style. People who can do this with Painter make me so envious!!

Old 04 April 2006   #25
Thanks again for the encouragement beelow - At least I really feel that this is working unlike the last challenge where I just went round in circles...I'm having a creative day, so hopefully will have more to post later.

Good to hear from you LexLe - still working on the robot as the space isn't quite working yet....more soon

Thanks Zephyri.... not sure if the mountain is to stay...more to aid development of the composition, so i can work out the depth and space. I really would like some strange limestone towers and rock formations, but we'll see how this progresses.

Good point about the robot....I'm still trying to bring the girl on the left back a bit so she sits on the same plane as the boy. I was thinking of having one robot looking at the girl on the left, but facing more towards the other two, who hold the furthest two corners of the map....we'll see

Old 04 April 2006   #26
It looks great David, there is a great sense of depth and the long journey ahead.

Old 04 April 2006   #27
wow man! Some serious work is geting done here. Im so glad to see u in this challenge Love ur start and the colors u r using, that purple mountain in the back is so great comparing to the warm yellow color scheme of the sky. It really pops out the way it should be. And the children in the left, especially the one in green really balance the composition in my opinion. Keep up the good work buddy!

DW V 2d

Old 04 April 2006   #28
Cheers Blaz... I'm working on the faces at present, so more soon hopefully...Good to see you in the challenge too

Thanks EdP-Art.... he he he hope you are refering to the title of the challenge when you mention long journeys....and not the amount of work I need to put in ... No seriously thanks for your comments

Old 04 April 2006   #29
Coloring WIP: Adding details / robot development

I've started to refine the faces of the children and have added a new robot that is clearer and links the children and space between.

i still need to develop the light and shadow to help with space, but still lots of time...

Old 04 April 2006   #30
holy crap!

sorry...

i love your painting style!! it's a similar method to what i've been playing with. but i'm just tyring out and am grateful to see the heights it can go to. (ok maybe that's putting it a bit strong) but i would say your use of color is very inspiring.

only crit i would have is that the current robot might be a little too C3PO.

can't wait to see more of this one!
~B

Thread Closed share thread