The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Michael Dashow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2006
Good luck Michael!

03 March 2006
Concept Sketch: The Wedding - rough concepts

Okay, here's a new concept. I suspect this was what you were more looking for, Theresa: Something goofy and a little off-kilter with loads of possibilities for humor. And it is all that: It's the wedding ceremony of a hunky vampire and his ghoul. We've got Igor chauffeuring the giant spider with the just married sign on it on the right, so I've got the metaphorical journey (marriage) right along with the physical one (honeymoon.) And of course lots of wedding guests in the background leave lots of options for interesting characters. The setting is a graveyard with tombstones and sepulchres draped with streamers, or a decrepit, half-destroyed skeleton of an old church.

Whay I can't decide about his piece, and could really use peoples' input on, is how it fits the theme. One one side, I think it obviously fits the simple title "The Journey Begins." But on the other hand, it doesn't fit any of the descriptions in the contest rules: No vast, epic, sweeping landscape, no small creatures... The top layout incorporates a larger landscape, but it feels tacked on, part of another painting and not really a great fit (aside from the part about the rules.) What do you think?

-mike

03 March 2006
Fun idea Mike! I wouldn't worry too much about sticking strictly to the suggestions in the rules. I can't quite tell what's in the backround at the moment. How about a gloomy castle up on a creepy mountain? Get the backround mood looking a bit spooky and dark to counterpoint the "happiness" (Are vampires ever really happy?) of the newlyweds.

My CGTalk Challenge XIX Thread

03 March 2006
i hope you dont have to stick to teh suggested guidlines otherwise everyone piece look very similar.. i myself have just though of a new idea that i am excited about with no grand sweeping landscape or smal bugs.. anyways i really like this concept.. cant wait to see you tighten it up

03 March 2006
I really like this idea! Quite original!

I like marcoracer's suggestion of the castle on the mountain, you could really play around with colour then, dark moody colours for the castle bright happy ones for the wedding folk.

Great work keep it up!

03 March 2006
Fantastic idea. And it does use small creatures if you consider the tarantula to be normal sized!

03 March 2006
Love you'r confident lines! I also like theese new concepts, the vampire theme is always a safe way to go at it. Keep us updated!

03 March 2006
Talking Walrus I think your on the right track

I really like your rough (farewell kiss) looks very good, and really looks the best of the one's you have submitted so far. I'm looking forward to more of your work.

Last edited by RickBinkley : 03 March 2006 at 06:26 PM.

03 March 2006
i too really like the farewell-kiss idea ... maybe you could do a whole group of characters and everyone gets a farewell-kiss ... like six little adventourers with their moms or whatever

Sketchbook

03 March 2006
Hey! nice concept man!

03 March 2006
That's better!!

*sits back, happier*....now...all you have to do is toss in a bit of a twist there..maybe have them all looking really dour... think 'american gothic' (grant wood) and you're there.

Go with the bottom right one- great composition and I like the graveyard in the background-champagne glasses with blood maybe..so many great details that you could fill it up with!

Give us one more concept, then I'll let you rest. You're doing great ,mike!

Theme fitting: They're setting off for their honeymoon to Ireland, of course.

03 March 2006
Quote: all you have to do is toss in a bit of a twist there.

oh, come on Theresa, having vampires and ghouls look dour is a unique twist? And here I was thinking that having them in love and celebrating a wedding happily was the twist. Silly me!

But anyhow, I don't do dour.

I don't know about the castle on the hill. I mean, I think it's a great concept, if this piece weren't for a challenge I'd doi it. But it doesn't really help to convey an epic journey. Going up the hill to the castle isn't that much of a voyage. Not that I'm sure what should go into the background... more work needed. If I even stick with this concept. I still could go with number 1. Or number 3... 'though I have no idea what number 3 is yet. Ahrgh!

-mike

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by walrus: oh, come on Theresa, having vampires and ghouls look dour is a unique twist? And here I was thinking that having them in love and celebrating a wedding happily was the twist. Silly me!

But anyhow, I don't do dour.

I don't know about the castle on the hill. I mean, I think it's a great concept, if this piece weren't for a challenge I'd doi it. But it doesn't really help to convey an epic journey. Going up the hill to the castle isn't that much of a voyage. Not that I'm sure what should go into the background... more work needed. If I even stick with this concept. I still could go with number 1. Or number 3... 'though I have no idea what number 3 is yet. Ahrgh!

-mike

Sorry, Mike! You're getting really close though...I promise.... Each sketch is getting closer!

Last edited by paperclip : 03 March 2006 at 07:40 AM.

03 March 2006
I love the sketches Mike. I think it fits into the brief well. I must admit I was a bit concerned about those particular guidelines because they don't leave much room for broadening the brief if taken literally. To be honest, I don't know why they are there, as it could be taken that these are strict guidelines and not general ideas and themes people could run with if they wanted. Anyway... wibble...

Thread Closed share thread