The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Michael Dashow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #31
Man, always dig your style. This looks like another fun piece to work on. I like the sketch so far. It reads well and pleasing to eyes. It has that walt disney feel to it. Keep it up dude.

Old 03 March 2006   #32
Nice to see that u are back in this comopetition, Welcome and good luck!

Old 03 March 2006   #33
It's really good....but...I KNOW YOU CAN DO BETTER!

Try out a couple more concept sketches before deciding on one, this one is lacking that decidedly 'walrus' feel that we all know & love. Please don't think I'm being harsh, it's out of love that I say this!

Old 03 March 2006   #34
Cool concept Mchael!
and those character studies: just lovely, great style you have!

CHARACTER DESIGN

Old 03 March 2006   #35
great concept, awesome sketches. Well done! I am looking forward to seeing more because I love your style.

Old 03 March 2006   #36
I like the rideable not horse thing... gonna follow this and learn, like your style...

Old 03 March 2006   #37
A happy storybook feel to this Mike! Your sketches are great! Blue ColourErase pencils... or do my eyes decieve me?

Old 03 March 2006   #38
Yeah really cool as usual but as mentioned above, I think its missing that walrus humour that we all love! I'm sure it will still be a fantastic piece though so good luck and will be watching closely!

Old 03 March 2006   #39
Wow, there's a mixed bag or replies!

Thanks for the comments, everyone, on both sides of the fence. Thanks especially to those who have the guts to give me honest criticism, even if it's harsh.... Not to say everyone else isn't being honest, as it's not that sucky a piece! But thanks for saying what you feel.

There's still plenty of time to work on new concepts, and as I mentioned above, I still may come up with more. The "funny" thing just hasn't clicked yet... I keep coming up with ideas that are painfully almost funny, but not quite gelling yet. This one at least solidified into something. It's more the sort of piece I generally save to work on in watercolors... So no matter what, I should finish it off one way or another. It's too cute a pose not to use somewhere.

But then again, has anyone seen Matt Dixon around? Is he in the challenge? I'm surpirsed they haven't just made him a judge already, but I didn't see his name anywhere on the list. But so maybe with Matt not here, someone's got to fill in the cute gap...? Ah, who am I kidding?

And yes, Aly, it's the good old blue col-erases at work!

-mike

Old 03 March 2006   #40
Nope, I know the Aly, Johnny work with, Maybe ask them. But I am waiting to see what u do next dude, I so luved the wage slave entry for Master and Servant! Again good luck dude!

Old 03 March 2006   #41
I like the Idea & the first sketch ... i had something similar in mind maybe because i read so much about shadow of the colossus and played Ico again who knows ..

Im courious if you stick to it or what you'll come up with next

Sketchbook

Old 03 March 2006   #42
I am the walrus! No, wait... You are the Walrus! Goo goo g' joob!

Subscribed mate!

Old 03 March 2006   #43
nice study on the poses walrus~they potrayed alot of characters in them

Old 03 March 2006   #44
Originally Posted by walrus: ...And here are some character studies for the above layout. I don't have any clothes, or even real character designs settled upon yet. (No, they're not going to be nekkid!)

I was about to ask, "What land is this where all the girls are naked?!"

Jokes aside, I really like your first concept and your sketching abilty is second to none. Can't wait to see what other concepts you come up with.

Old 03 March 2006   #45
Something I do when looking for inspiration is to look through a dictionary with a sketchpad at hand. It works, try it!

You can do it, Mike...I know you can!

Thread Closed share thread