The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Michael Dashow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2006   #16
Hey man! I wish you good luck and loads of fun!

Old 02 February 2006   #17
Hi, everyone!
Wow, the coolest thing about being a "regular" is now my thread fills up with comments before I've even posted a single word of picture!

Well, I've been thinking about the theme for weeks now ever singe Leigh's first clue. I have some ideas, but I hadn't factorred in the extra rules (or suggestions) about doing small creatures, so now I'm rethinking. Hope to have something to show soon, but I need to sit with it a while longer... Best of luck to all of you too!

-mike

Old 02 February 2006   #18
I wonder just how strictly the 'small creature' rule is going to be enforced? My picture doesn't have small creatures (although there will be small elements in it)...will this be bad?

Old 02 February 2006   #19
I swear I thought you said, "small elephants," paperclip and I was going to say that it perfectly suits the contest. I think the small-creature-large-epic-background is just a guide to get you to think about an epic journey. IMHO, the birth of a child is an epic journey. I don't think you or walrus will have any problems with what ever you come up with.

Old 02 February 2006   #20
Good luck! Looking forward to some more excellent work!

Last edited by Tris3d : 02 February 2006 at 06:06 PM.

Old 02 February 2006   #21
Nice to see you for this new challenge, good luck

Old 02 February 2006   #22
I wish a good luck and lots of creative energy to all of my buddies from previous challenges Dont be mad coz I'll post the same first reply to all of u, but wishes r sincere.. I just wanna to sign up to ur thread. Once again best of luck!

DW V 2d

Old 02 February 2006   #23
Best of luck to you too Mike! Looking forward to your work! It's like a big reunion here!

Old 02 February 2006   #24
Originally Posted by Poshspice: Best of luck to you too Mike! Looking forward to your work! It's like a big reunion here!

Hehe it almost seems that way haha!

Old 02 February 2006   #25
Talking

good luck walrus!

Old 02 February 2006   #26
Originally Posted by JTD: I swear I thought you said, "small elephants," paperclip and I was going to say that it perfectly suits the contest. I think the small-creature-large-epic-background is just a guide to get you to think about an epic journey. IMHO, the birth of a child is an epic journey. I don't think you or walrus will have any problems with what ever you come up with.

Lol, small elephants! ...:snatch!:

Gonna try that one out tomorrow...thanks for the idea!

Old 03 March 2006   #27
Oakland in the house bro. Nice to see you again man. This should fun.

i'll be keeping up as usual.

peace

Old 03 March 2006   #28
nice .. you are here hooraaay .. welcome to another challenge

Sketchbook

Old 03 March 2006   #29
Concept Sketch: Farewell Kiss - rough layout

Well, here's my first concept, possibly not my last. It's not as funny as my usual pieces - in fact, it's not funny at all, just kind of sweet... or at least I'd like to think so.

Anyhow, in the far-away land of To-Be-Determinedia, a girl gives a firend a kiss as he goes off to explore the wide wide world. Those ar big runger structures on the top of the buttes on the right, surrounding gigantic trees whose roots wind down to the plain below. The road the boy is about to travel on winds down to the small village in the center and meets up with a wide river that stretches off towards the mountains (because a road would be invisible there so you need the river to stand in for the path travelled.)

Character details to follow... See the next post.

-mike

Last edited by walrus : 03 March 2006 at 08:40 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #30
Concept Sketch: Farewell Kiss - character studies

...And here are some character studies for the above layout. I don't have any clothes, or even real character designs settled upon yet. (No, they're not going to be nekkid!) I was thinking something a bit on the fantastic side.... think Shadow of the Colossus or Princess Mononoke or something vaguely like that. I'd like his mount to be something similar to the one in Mononoke too, kind of like how Ashitaka's mount was a creature you understood was rideable but not a conventional horse.

Anyhow, that's all I got right now.

-mike

Last edited by walrus : 03 March 2006 at 08:43 PM.

Thread Closed share thread