The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Theresa Ryan

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2006
Hey Theresa !

Have a lots of fun and best of luck !

cheers ,

-Zapan

"One today is worth two tomorrows"
-Benjamin Franklin-

02 February 2006
hallo Theresa
do I use a drawing pin and put up the calender with the wheeeks left on or shoud I use a staple or paperclip?
Im a bad one in jokes too, I know
and have loads of fun and a bunch of good luck too...

02 February 2006
Hello clippy

Sounds like a great idea already! Looking forward to see what comes out. Good luck and have fun in the challenge!

02 February 2006
An interesting twist on the subject Theresa

Are you going for a serious style (aka photoreal) or maybe something slightly toonish??

Best of luck to you

02 February 2006
Show us some of your new and improoved skills girl!

*sergiokomicDOTcom*

02 February 2006
Concept Sketch: Concept sketch #1

Here's the first concept sketch- a conglomerate of arabian merchants, wiazards and scholars off on their journey to... the center of the earth for the amazing Earth Fair that is only held once every 200 years! There would be lots of rich fabrics and sparkling gems, right now I'm just looking at the overall composition and values...crits are more than welcome!

02 February 2006
Concept Sketch: Concept sketch #1

Here's my first concept sketch- a conglomerate of arabian merchants, warlocks and scholars all off to the center of the earth for the great Earth Fair which is held every 200 years! It will have lots of rich fabric and sparkling gems..right now I'm concentrating on composition and values. Crits are more than welcome!

02 February 2006
Well...as for the style, sort of a blend between photoreal and a comic style. It's what I do best

Strange, I just submitted my first concept sketch, but it's not showing up here. I wonder why?

makaron: Yes, that was a bad joke! Your punishment is to lie down and let your guinea pigs nibble on you for a few 'wheeks'...

Quote:
lmao! Make sure it does not block out our view...

Isn't the whole point of an afro that it blocks views?

02 February 2006
Well, my pics don't seem to be uploading, so while this is being fixed, here's one:

Here's a group of mercenaries, warlocks and scholars off to the center of the earth for the Earth Fair, held once every 200 years. There's plenty of room in this image for tantalising details, which is what I want to do with it! Think richly patterned fabrics, gems...the lot...

For now, I'm just looking at different compositions, values and suchlike. This is concept number one, if I decide to go with this concept, I'll do a few rough sketches to establish the look of the piece, then start 'for real'.

Crits very welcome, particularly regarding the values and composition.

Last edited by paperclip : 02 February 2006 at 02:57 PM.

02 February 2006
I'd expand the framing more to the left to show more of the far off distance, now it seems more like a filler than a destination.

02 February 2006
Good crit! How's this for an improvement?

I've decided to do a week's worth of concepts, then after that choose one and work on that one for the final image. So...this is concept one, more or less. Time for me to start thinking about other concepts. I'll go for a walk and see what I can think of!

02 February 2006
better (has room to breath now), I'd work on the destination though, let the viewer see the path they are going to take literaly (I'm sure they aren't the first to cross it).

Give the viewer a glimps of the destination (could be a sort of arabian / taj mahal stucture off in the distance covered by a sandstorm (could say they'd have to go through quite a struggle) Give them some obstacles so its not all in rosy colors

Just a suggestion

02 February 2006
Well, I wanted them to go down into the center of the earth, so how about a gaping hole in the distance, surrounded by craggy rocks? Sounds like it could be cool. Otherwise how about a big 'sea' with the mountains in the distance spouting fire? I'm just thinking of a range of ideas now, sketches come later! Remember, this week is 'concept week'!

02 February 2006
I love how this is a happy beginning and not something dark and foreboding. It's refreshing. But don't let me influence your ideas. You go ahead and make something grizzly and eerie if ya want!

I'll be cheering you on.

02 February 2006
Hi Theresa!

this is a wonderful concept! Also I notice your work on values shows through already.

I do also like the character design and design of objects depicted in general! This is going to be great.

As for Advice(unasked for and therefor a double joy to give... ):

I would also like to see the vastness of the whole scene increased. At the moment there's a lack of distance the eye would like to wander to.

So, maybe this Philipp Straub article on composition might give you an idea how to set up the whole thing?

Again, this is looking great - glad I am subscribed to this so I won't miss out on anything.

Thread Closed share thread