FAQ - The Journey Begins

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 03 March 2006   #46
What are the rules with regard to basing the image on existing work? Say I was inspired by an old somewhat obscure short story? It doesn't have any readily recognizable characters or settings - but if I was too use the general theme would that be legit?

Old 03 March 2006   #47
Erm...now, see the thing is, I have TWO threads now.

Accidentally, I pushed the 'enter challenge' button twice... and the one I decided to use for the challenge isn't 'working'- no thumbnails and the pictures aren't uploading into it. I wrote all my text into the other thread though.

Could you delete that other thread and upload my challenge page into the current thread? Please?

Or will I just go over into that other thread?

Last edited by paperclip : 03 March 2006 at 02:04 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #48
Er... Seems aaron111 has the same problem. I posted my question on the 1st thread page. I meant if I could use a project I`ve started some time ago, never shown anywhere as a whole, but possibly posted some fragment of it on some WIP forum to get help. I named it a silly question, but anyway I`d be happy to receive some reply

Old 03 March 2006   #49
The question: "Can I submit art that I've already created to this contest?"

The answer: "No."

The point of the challenge is to produce something within the context of the challenge. In fact, it's just like this contest's theme. The journey begins now. For anyone in doubt, I suggest this: What's the point of bringing something you've already worked on to the challenge? Itís like saying, "can my lap time for this race be counted even though I was halfway around the track when the starting gun went off?" The answer is no.

One of the main points is to push your self within the timeframe. That's why it's called a contest. If everybody thought that they could submit something that they've been working on for a couple of weeks (or years) then the contest would only need to be one day long because the theme would be announced and everybody would submit their finished work. Now, if you've had an idea in your head or even some sketches that fit this theme perfectly and no one has seen them then go ahead and enter the contest. Nobody is going to know but you. Not a very sportsmanship thing to do but it can be done.

However, you'd be missing out on one of the other main points of this contest by limiting your self to community input. Let's say you submit something you've been working on for years but nobody knows about it. Then 100 people say that you should change some elements or maybe try the piece from a different perspective. You would probably be less inclined to take suggestions on something that you've been working on so hard for so many years. It's human nature to resist criticism. But if you have an idea or two that gets critiqued before you've had a chance to put some blood, sweat, and tears into it then you are more likely to take suggestions.

I say we all start the journey now and be good to each other. Good luck everyone.

Last edited by JTD : 03 March 2006 at 02:59 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #50
Thanks JTD. So if it`s a kind of a race, then we really should start from scratch. I take part in sth like this for the first time, so this is why I ask so basic questions. Anyway, while waiting for reply, I got another idea and will work on sth really new...

Good luck, everybody. See you soon (I hope ).

Old 03 March 2006   #51
Quote: Seems aaron111 has the same problem.

My question is different. I want to know if I can base my image on an existing story. Obviously, almost anything anyone creates is probably going to be derivative of something. Basically if I say "this is based on such and such, or this is inspired by such and such" would that be against the rules?

Last edited by aaron111 : 03 March 2006 at 06:21 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #52
OK... So there are five zillion people participating in this challenge, right? :-)

My question is how are any of us going to get any kind of meaningful critiques? Where do you begin? I see some of the more popular and experienced members with over 100 replies already. Are us newbies doomed to recieving very little input? Likewise, I don't think anyone really has time to supply input for more then a very small fraction of the entrants. Is this how it normally goes?

My CGTalk Challenge XIX Thread

Old 03 March 2006   #53
Do all of our ideas/sketches have to be submitted through the submit page or could we just reply to thread.

Old 03 March 2006   #54
Originally Posted by rblitz7: Do all of our ideas/sketches have to be submitted through the submit page or could we just reply to thread.

I'm not official, but I think they had made clear a long time ago (during the very first challenges) that all wip images MUST be submitted through the submittion page.

Old 03 March 2006   #55
Hi anyone,

it says in the instructions we should focus on small characters.

I hope it does generally include humans as long as the scenery is vast in contrast to the size of their bodies? Does anyone know wether that is right?

it is half past one a.m. around here, sorry if I overlooked this question and its answer somewhere...

Old 03 March 2006   #56
Originally Posted by aaron111: My question is different. I want to know if I can base my image on an existing story. Obviously, almost anything anyone creates is probably going to be derivative of something. Basically if I say "this is based on such and such, or this is inspired by such and such" would that be against the rules?

Such as making an image based upon Star Wars characters and universe (or something like that)? I'd highly recommend against it. The challenge is to be creative and to use your imagination. You're putting yourself at a severe handicap if you are using someone else's ideas.

Take a look through previous challenge winning entries and you'll get a better idea of what the judges look for when selecting winning entries.
Originally Posted by marcoracer: OK... So there are five zillion people participating in this challenge, right? :-)

My question is how are any of us going to get any kind of meaningful critiques? Where do you begin? I see some of the more popular and experienced members with over 100 replies already. Are us newbies doomed to recieving very little input? Likewise, I don't think anyone really has time to supply input for more then a very small fraction of the entrants. Is this how it normally goes?
Members that have been here for awhile have bonds with friends and have built up their own reputations through past submissions to the contests and galleries. They are naturally going to generate a lot more hits and replies in their threads, so don't let that intimidate you. Keep working and posting updates as often as you can. You will get responses in time but you may have to be patient until others become familiar with your work.

Originally Posted by rblitz7: Do all of our ideas/sketches have to be submitted through the submit page or could we just reply to thread.
The judges will not be looking through your thread for WIP images. All of the images viewed and considered for judging are hosted on the CGChallenge pages. So, submit all images there even if they don't become part of your final idea.

Originally Posted by Mr. Mu: Hi anyone,

it says in the instructions we should focus on small characters.

I hope it does generally include humans as long as the scenery is vast in contrast to the size of their bodies? Does anyone know wether that is right?
I just answered this in another (misplaced) thread. So here it is again ...

Feel free to use your own artistic interpretations of the theme. I think way too many people get hung up on the text descriptions or guidelines of the challenge which puts restrictions on what artists would normally try to do for the challenge.

If the challenges were to specify what your idea must include I'm afraid that the results would become boring and predictable. Think outside the box and surprise us all with your brilliance. I think that's what the judges are looking for when reviewing final entries.

Old 03 March 2006   #57
Talking

Originally Posted by marcoracer: Are us newbies doomed to recieving very little input?

Yep. That's how it works. But i suppose this is not popularity contest. And what looked around those yeaay, cool and wow like one word comments are truly worth of nothing. Personally i thought to make killer piece of art, learn something new, and have fun...it's totally irrelevant am i popular or not if i win the challenge

Old 03 March 2006   #58
Hi,

I got the link by Mail and I wanted to look, only look, what that is and already I was announced.
For the moment I simply don't have the time to participate in such thing as a challenge. Sorry.

Please can someone delete my thread? (it's empty)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=323688

Ciao,
Ravena

Old 03 March 2006   #59
Originally Posted by Ravena: Hi,

I got the link by Mail and I wanted to look, only look, what that is and already I was announced.
For the moment I simply don't have the time to participate in such thing as a challenge. Sorry.

Please can someone delete my thread? (it's empty)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=323688

Ciao,
Ravena

Just ignore it. The thread will drop to the bottom of the forum in no time and you're under no obligation to finish if you signed up for the challenge.

Old 03 March 2006   #60
Originally Posted by Mibus: Basically:
  • 120 frames in an image sequence
  • As 320x240 JPEGs, ~85% quality
  • Features a turntable of your main model (180 degrees or 360 degrees, up to you)
  • GI-lit (or similar)
  • Untextured
  • ZIP them up, post them via the Submit Turntable page.

Okay, thanks! It really should be on the instructions page, too.

Actually, this is the kind of requirement that would have made more sense for the character-centered challenges. I don't think a 320x240 turntable of a vast landscape is going to show much. But whatever.

reply share thread