FAQ - The Journey Begins

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

02 February 2006
Loris - You can load up as many concepts as you want. Just select 'concept sketch' from the drop-down-menu each time.

02 February 2006
Originally Posted by Loris_: Hi!! Are we restricted to only one upload per milestone? For example, I have to upload only one concept sketch on my WIP thread and then the next should be the line art? Or can I upload as much concept sketches as I want?

thanks!!

Loris_

Don't know if it's my priveledge to answer, but you can make mutiple 'concept'sketches. Guess you then descide what concept to go with and finish all the other milestones with that one sketch..

CHARACTER DESIGN

02 February 2006
thanks for the quick replies guys!!!

02 February 2006
Originally Posted by MichaelMotion: Hey Robert, sorry if I missed this,
but I guess the thumbnails are out/over?

Really? Crap, I really liked that feature.

02 February 2006
Originally Posted by ArtisticVisions: When it says "physically small characters", is it refering to actual small characters (like the ones described) or that the characters appear small in comparision to the scene/enviroment?

In my opinion the answer is you can do whatever gets the feeling across. The example was just a "recommendation" - a "guide" to help you understand what the judges are looking for. But I don't think you'd be disqualified for creating an image with a whale. It's about the journey, an epic journey more than it is about the characterizations. Of course, I've been wrong before...

02 February 2006
Lol, I came to the FAQ thinking I knew everything I needed too, but now find myself echoing some of the questions. Oh, and there is no link to the FAQ in the 3d challenge page. . .

Thank you for helping us newbies out!

02 February 2006
Originally Posted by MichaelMotion: Hey Robert, sorry if I missed this,
but I guess the thumbnails are out/over?

Takes to much space or slows the server to much down?

If I remember correctly, the thumbnails didn't start showing up, or weren't implemented until a couple of days into the challenge last time. So I expect they'll be working later... feel free to throw cheese at me if I'm wrong.....

02 February 2006
Originally Posted by Poshspice: If I remember correctly, the thumbnails didn't start showing up, or weren't implemented until a couple of days into the challenge last time. So I expect they'll be working later... feel free to throw cheese at me if I'm wrong.....

Yeah I was wondering that as well, and the top scoll bar thingy that u mention that I mention on the first page, good to know that it wasn't happening to me only!

03 March 2006
Past Challenge Idea, but not submitted

I came up with an idea for the Space Opera challenge and submitted a few of the concept milestones. Then I couldn't finish and stopped submitting. I think that the idea fits this challenge and I want to follow the idea through. I was wondering if I could pick up where I left off for this challenge.

Thanks,

-j

03 March 2006
This is strange, I'm uploading my pics here http://features.cgsociety.org/chall...ubmit_entry.php and they're all going into the entry page, but there isn't a link on my thread nor are they uploading into my thread. Would you mind looking into this for me? I'd really appreciate it!

I'm having a great time by the way- so many people I know are here!! It's like a reunion!

03 March 2006
You really need to explain more about the turntable requirement. It's not even mentioned in the instructions and deliverables sections. More info, please!

Thanks!

03 March 2006
I'll write up some more detailed text for the turntable and put it on the deliverables page soon.

Basically:
  • 120 frames in an image sequence
  • As 320x240 JPEGs, ~85% quality
  • Features a turntable of your main model (180 degrees or 360 degrees, up to you)
  • GI-lit (or similar)
  • Untextured
  • ZIP them up, post them via the Submit Turntable page.
j: No. Everything for this challenge has to be made inside this challenge.

Thumbs: I forgot to add the new forums to the thumbnail "forum whitelist". My bad

03 March 2006
Woot! Thanks for enabling thumbnails Mibus!!

Edit: Well, it was working a second ago, but now they've disappeared on me again...hmm.

Edit2: Now they're working again. I'm confoooosed. Anyway, thanks!

Last edited by kira-hime : 03 March 2006 at 05:18 AM.

03 March 2006
Not to be a total jerk but can somebody please address the question I asked on page 1 about text?
Really would like to know.
Thanks.

03 March 2006
Hi Theta,

Sorry - I missed your first post

Yes, text is OK, but don't rely on it too much. Viewing a piece at different resolutions will very likely make the text difficult or impossible to read.

reply share thread