The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Daniel Lieske

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2006
WoW! Man, I see that working going very well! Fantastic style you have there, deatails are really amazing! Your work is one of my favorite for winning this challenge! Keep it

03 March 2006
Beautiful work Daniel! I really like the idea too. Keep it up!

03 March 2006
cool!

Quote: important point is, that it is put into the right perspective via the transform tool.

man that's another example of knowing what a tool can do but not putting it to good use...

you have shown me at least I need to mess around with PS tools more often... guess I get so use to using the few I know I forget about everything else...

Thanks for the insite digitaldecoy

03 March 2006
Very interesting thread you have here man Really cool how you're telling these small stories as you complete this piece. The realism of your rendering's top notch. Look's like you're almost done with this. What's up with everyone finishing up so quickly when I havent even started my piece yet? :P Anyway, goodluck. This'll be a very dramatic scene.

03 March 2006
wow. Just wow, you know how to do your stuff.. I have the speedpainting video of yours and even though I don't have a clue of your German, the video was very cool..

03 March 2006
I like all the small details you put into this piece. Yours is still my favorite

This side up

03 March 2006
Coloring WIP: The Jouney Begins - Color WIP 04

Ok, so I had some happy painting with this stuff here. :) The Homer bust is a bit screwed at the moment but I will come back to that later. At the moment I'm just trying to pump up the details to an equal level in the whole image. Later I will so some serious restructuring of lighting and colors, I think. Luckily I did not need to find a reference for the sailing ship since I'm working on a pirate game for a year now I can paint those things blindfolded. ;)
For the rugs I used two photos from the internet. I will have to enhance their look later to fit to the painterly style of the other elements.

03 March 2006
Adorable!

But You did use photoraphs for the carpets, too, didn't You? If not, I have to

03 March 2006
no crits just keep doing what your doing.

03 March 2006
duh, forgot to post before

plus 'boo cheat 3d user

03 March 2006
a winning piece here i must say~

03 March 2006
those details and lighting are really comming along very well

good use of texture on the rug too

are you going to be doing a dirt pass? it sorta looks a little "disney" old at the moment...no real dirt in there for such an old dusty place....

03 March 2006
Really strong piece that u are doing! I am blow away by your ability! What's next, eh?

03 March 2006
this has got be be one of my definate favourites. Amazing detail, beutifully painted and above all, a great idea. and to think it's still early days, i can't wait to see how this turns out. Good luck.

03 March 2006
@ Cyberone:

Quote: are you going to be doing a dirt pass? it sorta looks a little "disney" old at the moment...no real dirt in there for such an old dusty place....

That's a good question. Well, the plan at the moment is, first to build the detail in the painting up to the level you see in my WIPs here. Then I will have to experiment with different techniques. You are right, that everything is just looking to clean and neat at the moment and I will have to work against this. Perhaps the best method would have bean just to render everything more loosely but that's a thing I'm not quite good at. Especially when the objects in teh scene are everyday life objects and when there is a clear perspective I just have to render them completely, I guess that's just my style. But I want definetely achieve more in this piece and therefor I will have to become a little bit inventive I guess. I will study paintings by the old masters to understand, how they rendered interiours without letting them look like Disney backgrounds. In the end it will all come back to the lighting I guess so that's the part I have to put my efforts in. Of course I know that it is quite a silly technique to render something out to a high degree and later perhaps dillute it again but right at the moment that's the only way for me to solve this scene and I guess I will learn a ton from this painting.

I'm planning to make huge progress this weekend so the next WIP should not be far away. Stay tuned!

Thread Closed share thread