The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Daniel Lieske

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2006
Thumbs up

Great work. Has a classical touch to it. My favourite so far. Question. Was it done in painter or photoshop or a combo of both?

03 March 2006
Thumbs up

Hi Daniel,

this is one of my favorite. Fantastic work, great concept and story.

Ciao,
Ravena

03 March 2006
@ art:

Hey, and WHO has to spend hours and hours from now on to render out those details? I'm suffering!

@ kary:

Exactly! Just everybody at least once heard about Theseus who entered the dungeon of the Minotaur and found the way out with the help of Ariadne's thread. I guess this is even understood if someone does not know this story since this is such a strong symbol.

@ Chinasky:

Oh man, if you knew how hard it is for me to tackle all the problems of this painting. I've done to much "figure before nonsense background" stuff and now tonal values and shapes are going crazy in my mind. I indeed need luck to complete this one but it's nice to have you around here, too - fells a bit more like home now.

@ Titus:

Thanks for your input. I really thought about the problem that the viewer perhaps would not get the fact that the boy is indeed traveling into the painting. I even had a little white bearded dwarf in the frame who waited for the kid (as I mentined above). But in the end I asked my girlfriend if she had problems with getting the idea of the image and she said it was all totally clear to her, so I will go on with this setup. But just to make the point clear I will most likely add some flying pollen, which come from the painting and fly into the attic.

And if in the end, there is really someone who does not get the point and thinks the boy will only travel into the painting in his fantasy, than it is all right. Ultimately my message is, that we as artists send the viewer out to a jouney everytime we paint, even if he never really enters the canvas physically.

Thanks to all you folks for your nice words. You're really make me pushing my limits here, I'm gracefully thankful for that!

03 March 2006
Your concept is so poetic and imaginative, I really love it. The colour scheme is also nice. Very good work.

03 March 2006
Coloring WIP: The Jouney Begins - Color Wip 02

I blew the canvas up to 4200 Pixel width and now I'm working on the details. Today I worked on the left side of the painting and mainly on the cat. I shot a photo of my own cat for reference. If you ever try to get your cat into the right pose, plan to spend some time on that! ;)

I really try not to jump around in the painting a lot but working in closed regions. That way I can concentrate on the local light situation. Of course that will force my to do some color and tonal corrections in the end, but that's ok.

I forgot to answer the question about the software I'm using on this. It's Photoshop 7.

03 March 2006
wonderful details! Gosh this is such a wonderful idea, great work!! I adore the lighting!

03 March 2006
This is turning out so wonderfully- great details and beautiful tones overall.

I wish I could paint like this. :sigh:

03 March 2006
I just have to say that this work is turning out amazing. Love the mood, the feeling, the concept... everything!!! Wish you good luck Daniel and keep up the good work!

03 March 2006
Love it!

I love everything about this. The concept has an original perpective, the background is full of story and symbolism, and the rendering just looks exquisite. I've enjoyed seeing your process, and look forward to seeing more.

03 March 2006
maaaaan

Should any of us keep painting?... this guys got it the bag... ha!

Fantastic work man...

Can't believe your using Photoshop and getting these good o' results...

Keep kickin' it...

03 March 2006
it rocks, I like it very much
It's just impressive :-)
reminds me of "chronicles of narnia" (already mentioned by someone else?)

(oder so) :-D

03 March 2006
Coloring WIP: The Jouney Begins - Color WIP 03

Today I worked on the boy's "creative corner". I imagine him a bit like myself - surrounded by stuff like Paints, paper sheets, toys ... I'm going to put drawings onto the papers but I will safe that for the end because it should be a lot of fun to paint some children's drawings. Kind of a reward after finishing all the painstaking detail.

03 March 2006
just stunning.. fast turning into my fav piece... keep it coming

03 March 2006
I adore the textures! How did you do those??

Awsome work!!

03 March 2006
@ enialadam:

I mostly apply textures by painting them seperately on another canvas and then use the transform tool to bring them into the right perspective. It would be just impossible to paint those details all in the right perspective. In some rare occasions I also use photographed textures but I'm quite cautious with that since I do not want to get too realistic. But when I'm thinking about the red carpets in the scene I will definetely look for some photos on the internet to texture them.

As an example, here is the wood texture I use on the floor and the wooden beams:

it was painted by using a rake brush, and a toothbrush custom brush. The bloated holes were done with the liquify tool. The texture does not have to be perfect the most important point is, that it is put into the right perspective via the transform tool.

Thread Closed share thread