The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Daniel Lieske

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2006
Wow, what a great concept you have. As I see you have decided also your future line of coloring. I think yours will be one of the images to consider for winning the challenge. Let's see. Good luck.

03 March 2006
Unbelievable linework! (even if you cheated in places ). It's good to see an update too. I was hoping we'd get one from you soon.

03 March 2006
im looking forward for this one daniel!
very nice concept

03 March 2006
Coloring WIP: The Jouney Begins - Color WIP 01

Ok, here's my first color WIP. It's still quite low res and it's definetely unbalanced in several aspects. Storywise I decided to add the "dark mountain" into the painting. I felt like the boy would need a portal to a place that's both wonderous and frightening. for a short time I had a little dwarf in the frame, luring the boy into it, but it ruined the image, because it drew the attention off the boy. I'm now much more satisfied with the boy and his pose. He holds the sword in his hand which shows, that's he knows of the dangers. And he holds the thread ni his hand which is his lifeline but on the other hand is holding him back. When I'm getting high res I hope to model the boy's face in a fashion that somehow shows his struggle in a more compelling way. Right at the moment, everything is still very cartoony but by using the right light later on I will try to break up the whole scene in a more "impressionist" way. I'm not really used to images with elaborate backgrounds and I'm really intimidated by the task but hell, I started this and so I will have to deal with it. :)

03 March 2006
Excuuuuusemeee? You have to deal with it?

It´sme who have to deal with this !! O_o

(Since this is only ´bout colors you should think about distinguish that rugs in front of the frame. Oh no, i shouldn´t help you any more *bitesonhistongue*)

03 March 2006
The image is F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C man. Why to depict the struggle on the boy's face? I would be impatient, full of joy in his place because i would be about to enter a misterious world. Perhaps Narnia?

03 March 2006
Oh, great idea and execution. Looking sweet.
Good luck man

Visit my online portfolio

03 March 2006
wow very cool ... it was fun to read the process. nice idea man and top execution so far. I have nothing to crit right now so ill sit back and let you lead me into the magical painting

Sketchbook

03 March 2006
The string tied to the post is a really clever little element, he does want to be able to find the way home I take it. Fantastic so far

03 March 2006
suuuuuueeeeetttttaaaah....

man that is great! I give up... you win....

03 March 2006

AWESOME!!! ur definitely one of the finalists.

03 March 2006
Magnifcant concept and image! Youve really nailed all the subtle detail, so youre in no doubt whats happenning. Just great!

03 March 2006
Hi Daniel!
If You'll ever complain aboaut problems concerning "storytelling" again, everybody will call U al liar!

Stunning idea and with the time remaining, I'm sure this will become Ur next "Meßlatten"-masterpiece! I would wish U luck - if You needed it.

03 March 2006
wahhh - your piece makes big steps.
i love the details - the starry sky, the teddy, the dark mountain, the skeleton, the little wizard-figure and the idea with the thread. please more of these little things - spiderweb, a rat sitting in the dark.....

how about an ant trail coming out of the picture for a better clarification, that it is a door to a new world where you can go in and out....otherwise you could think, that the boy is just dreaming how fine it would be to enter such a painted place.

03 March 2006
damn this is a good one, very cool concept, reminds me of a totally different illustration, in which a child drew a door on a sidewalk

Thread Closed share thread