The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Daniel Lieske

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2006
Great stuff man, I like the mood and colours. Maybe you should post also the 3d render that you used for reference to show the changes you made good luck man

03 March 2006
Thanks!

Showing the underlying 3D-Render is a good idea, of course. I will do so when I have made all adjustments to the scene and start to paint the real thing.

03 March 2006
Wow, you're fast It looks awesome as far

03 March 2006
yeah man, very good composition, its very clean and apealling. looks like a movie still, good luck

03 March 2006
hello ^^

I love your pict !
the ambiance is realy good ^_^

good luck ^^

03 March 2006
wow! Wonderful idea, great paintings I love the lighting and colours!

03 March 2006
This is strong!

In my eyes its your best painting even this far and i just settle back into my armchair and enjoy this journey.

03 March 2006
I am liking the concept and I love the composition, I would like to see a more dynamic pose on the child though, right now he seems a little underawed as to the amazing thing he's just found. Also maybe something to suggest that he'll go through the mirror??

Aside from that....you're doing fantastically and I love it!

Last edited by paperclip : 03 March 2006 at 10:27 AM.

03 March 2006
Thank you all for your nice comments!

@ paperclip:

That's a good point and I'm surprised nobody came up with it, yet. The boy is a complete placeholder at the moment, though. I'm going to do some serious drawing on his pose since I really want the viewer to participate in the boy's adventure. That's gonna be the toughest part of the painting but I'm looking forward to it. That's what this whole challenge is about anyway - to travel to new lands, to do things you have never done before, isn't it?

Thanks for all youe encouragement!

03 March 2006
Great start! Excellent idea, I like it very much

03 March 2006
Concept Sketch: The Jouney Begins - 3D Perspective Rendering

Before I post my final Color Concept, here's the 3D Rendering I worked from. Well, in facts that's not a rendering but a screenshot I took from the viewport. The set construction was done in Maya.

03 March 2006
Concept Sketch: The Journey Begins - Final Color Concept

Ok, that's it for now. I established the main lighting sceme now and I populated the scene. I added lots of objects to the right side of the attic including a globe, a telescope, a sailing ship model, a medical skeleton, a suitcase and a bust of Homer (writer of "The Odysee"). Yes, you guess it - that stuff is all related to the theme of travelling (well, the skeleton represents "the last journey").

On the left side, there's everything the boy holds dear in his life. His drawings, his cat, the laundry which represents his mother and family.

I ultimately want to show what "travelling" is all about - leaving places and things we hold dear and venture into unknown territory.

The next step will be some lineart and I will scale the painting up.

03 March 2006
Smile

Wow! That's already looking amazing and you still have almost three months to go!! Great Job!

03 March 2006
All in your work looks perfect for me, Daniel ( It can be a reason to depress a guy as me ). Your theme & idea / your composition and the réalisation are ... perfect for this challenge. This picture talk a lot for me, and I will follow your thread with attention, it's sure. I wish you the best condition to can finish as you want your project. The only advice I could give, is why not include a foreground object on one corner , with dark and blur to increase more depth ?... Don't think it's necessary, I just write it to have an advice to give

Really good work

David

03 March 2006
wow i just found me a personal favorite for now

Thread Closed share thread