Shadow within a comet coma

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2007
Veeeery nice done, Joe. All the little details sells perfectly the shoot.
Great work.

FelixCat

03 March 2007
thank you

Hi Ian,

Thank you very much for your nice comment. I couldn't have done it without all the tips you and other contributors to these forums have made.

Sincerely,

Joe T

06 June 2007
comet animation for History Channel

Hi All,

I thought I'd update you on my comet project, especially since you guys (William and Richard) helped me along the way.

After I finished setting up the project I rendered it at 1920x1080, 60 frames per second. That way I could be ready for just about anything. It's a good thing I had it "on the shelf"; I received a request for the footage on very short notice. It's being worked into a History Channel show about comets.

Thanks again!

Joe Tucciarone

06 June 2007
Thank you for the feedback Joe. This is great news, I'm gonna watch for that show...!
This is a large render, would you care to post render time and hardware if you noted it?
Congratulations!

06 June 2007
Render Time

Hi Richard,

I'm on vacation right now and miles from my studio but here's what I remember:

The project contained 18 lights of which about 13 were glow lights shining through Smokers. The nucleus was a ZBrush asteroid; in FACT file format I think it was 45 Megabytes although I forget how many polygons it had. The debris consisted of about 35 Ubershape rocks set to detail level 2. The ZBrush nucleus and every rock were set to cast shadows. I used "Raytrace" Camera but since the motion of the debris was so slow I didn't use any motion blur and it looks fine.

I still use EIAS version 6.5.2. I was in no hurry at the time so I didn't kick on my renderfarm; I rendered the 25 second project on a dual Mac G5 (1.8 Gig). With both processors rendering it took 3 and a half days to make the 1920x1080, 60 fps animation.

Joe Tucciarone

07 July 2007
Thank you, have a nice vacation.

07 July 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread