The making of a 3D animated short

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2009
The making of a 3D animated short

http://pigeonimpossible.com/

This artist created a series of short podcasts that detail many of the items in writing, creating and distributing a 3D animation short. It's a series of about 20 episodes, each only 2-3 minutes long that highlight different aspects of the project. Things like lighting, OK vs FK, multi-pass, etc. A really good look into the production.

He used SoftImage, but many of the techniques can translate to any toolset.

_mike

11 November 2009
I agree. He admits he's a bit OCD in this regard. I still think the podcasts themselves give a nice overview of some of the techniques and technologies. I think his use of projection maps is really interesting.

_mike

11 November 2009
I saw this a while ago and think he's done a pretty great job!
However.... I think the laborious process he goes through to get his final render look is really
overkill. Its a nice look, but I think he could achieve it without sooo much emphasis on rendering in layers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 3D ArtZ Joint Tutorial CD
Joint Set-up and character rigging techniques for
Animation:Master

11 November 2009
Rendering in layers is pretty critical if you're a perfectionist. All that control provides you with so much flexibility in the final compositing stage. As laborious as it is... its necessary. Its either that...or have a really powerful render farm to re-render shots that you want to change the look of on the fly.

Previsualization Society - Founder / Secretary
Independent - Sr. Previs & Layout Supervisor

11 November 2009
I completely agree with rendering in layers, but his results are so straight out of the render looking to me that I feel he could have hit the same quality with less work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 3D ArtZ Joint Tutorial CD
Joint Set-up and character rigging techniques for
Animation:Master

11 November 2009
I enjoyed the movie and think that his layer style approach has been a wise one !

11 November 2009
Oldie but goodie....
http://www.rustboy.com/

This was a 2001 project started off in Infini-D now part of Carrara studio. This dated and detail approach to cheating software shortcoming really helped me think different in how I used EI. Layering in EI helps easy modification of shadows and color correction if you don't feel like re-rendering a scene. A while back some one posted a good script/plugin that allows live lighting changes from within AfterEffects for EI.

Just thought I'd share. Unfortunately this project seems to have been canned.

11 November 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread