EITG Modeler/Product?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2010
EITG Modeler/Product?

Seems like beating a dead horse, but was curious what is going on... seems no news?

Cj

-Walt Disney

04 April 2010
Not a peep out of Brad. So no word here.

Previsualization Society - Founder / Secretary
Independent - Sr. Previs & Layout Supervisor

04 April 2010
I remember in the old days of computing, companies were happy to share every step of development with you. Now sometimes you can't find out any news. I think that may be a financial mistake. With a project that has as much competition as EIAS, you can't afford not to excite your community. No news sometimes means easily forgotten. There are so many good modelers out there, I can't imagine what kind of modeler Brad can produce that's relevant. Between Silo, Blender, Wings, MOI, Rhino, Modo, C4D (not to mention Maya and 3D Studio Max) the competition is so fierce that you'd have to have a rock-steady, easy-to-use, supports multiple export and import, uses NURBs, plus Sub-D modeler that's relatively inexpensive as well in order to compete. Is this even possible?

"Impressive. Most impressive." -- Darth Vader

www.thomascreativestudio.com

04 April 2010
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck.... its a duck.

at this point Id say its safe to say that the modeller product is not happening.
Even if there is something going on with it with the developers, the fact of the matter is that its not happening for us.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 3D ArtZ Joint Tutorial CD
Joint Set-up and character rigging techniques for
Animation:Master

04 April 2010
I still feel it is sad to let EIM just wither and die... although, I guess I really need to completely move to Modo from EIM... but it is just so comfortable and fast.

-Walt Disney

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by cjberg: I still feel it is sad to let EIM just wither and die... although, I guess I really need to completely move to Modo from EIM... but it is just so comfortable and fast.

Wikipedia says that there was a licensing conflict with EIM and Spatial Technologies so they dropped EIM. Marketed correctly, an easy-to-use NURBs/Sub-D modeler is a no-brainer. I can't imagine what they'll put out if not a modeler.

04 April 2010
That's correct. EI couldn't make financial sense by continuing along with the modeler. It's been moribund for some time now and I don't think it's ever coming back. It's way past time for folks to move on and away from this modeling app, since it has no future. I think Modo is where I'll move next. Although I like Z Brush a lot too.

-Craig

04 April 2010
I have never understood this, why would a company not want customers to know of the progress of a release?

In the case of Apple or Adobe it may be prudent not to say anything because people would stop buying the current version and would want to wait and purchase the new one instead.

In the case of EI this doesn't apply, you couldn't buy the previous version of Modeler even if you wanted to.

WIthout Modeler, what products will EITechnologyGroup have to sell? EI 8.0 probably won't sell much once 9 comes out. Just wondering. -Derryl

04 April 2010
Hi,

Well, they'll want us all to buy version 9 anyway. I trust that they are doing the best they can and we have a great upgrade coming up. As far as modeler, it never had a chance, great or not. I've always wondered why people stuck with it when it was obvious pretty quickly that it didn't have a future. When I learn apps I want to know that they'll be around for awhile so that I can gain proficiency in them and don't have to learn new apps over and over.

EI hasn't ever been altogether chatty about what new stuff they have coming up.

-Craig

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by drice: I have never understood this, why would a company not want customers to know of the progress of a release?

In the case of Apple or Adobe it may be prudent not to say anything because people would stop buying the current version and would want to wait and purchase the new one instead.

In the case of EI this doesn't apply, you couldn't buy the previous version of Modeler even if you wanted to.

WIthout Modeler, what products will EITechnologyGroup have to sell? EI 8.0 probably won't sell much once 9 comes out. Just wondering. -Derryl

Maybe EITechnology Group is getting out of the business (Unless they're selling plugins for EI9, I can't see what they're going to make.) I wonder if they'll be going back to their roots as a visual effects house? I wonder what the chances are that we'll see a reply to our questions?

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by A.C. Farley: Hi,

Well, they'll want us all to buy version 9 anyway. I trust that they are doing the best they can and we have a great upgrade coming up. As far as modeler, it never had a chance, great or not. I've always wondered why people stuck with it when it was obvious pretty quickly that it didn't have a future. When I learn apps I want to know that they'll be around for awhile so that I can gain proficiency in them and don't have to learn new apps over and over.

EI hasn't ever been altogether chatty about what new stuff they have coming up.

-Craig

I think that EIM was a pretty good modeler and extremely easy to learn. The only reasons it didn't have a chance was that no one addressed the bugs, there was some kind of licensing issue and EITG has a hard time advertising its products.

04 April 2010
On January 26, 2010, I posted a question on EI's forum about modeler's status.

Ian responded on January 29, 2010. -- he said:

"Hi Hillsville,

Itís still in active development, thatís all I am able pass on.

Ian"

Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.eitechnologygroup.com/fo...iewthread/1268/

04 April 2010
It's still the best way to get a nurbs object into EI...whether I use Rhino or EIM everything goes through EIM on the way to EI. I get flawless meshes this way.....something I can't really say from any other app I use.

I personally find Rhino to be more efficient and practical in day to day work, but EIM is still a very nice modeler. Even if it isn't full of new features I would like to see an update to current software and hardware.

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by PaulS2: It's still the best way to get a nurbs object into EI...whether I use Rhino or EIM everything goes through EIM on the way to EI. I get flawless meshes this way.....something I can't really say from any other app I use.

I personally find Rhino to be more efficient and practical in day to day work, but EIM is still a very nice modeler. Even if it isn't full of new features I would like to see an update to current software and hardware.

People may not see value in EIM, but for me it still proves to be a very fast modeler. In my work, it wouldnt take many features to have it surpass other software as far as useful features.

Either way, this wasnt a good/bad post for either EIM nor EITG. I had just spent a week working in EIM and was curious what the status was of EITG and the future since I really hadnt heard much from them after the split announcement.

Peace,
Cj

-Walt Disney

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by cjberg: People may not see value in EIM, but for me it still proves to be a very fast modeler. In my work, it wouldnt take many features to have it surpass other software as far as useful features.

Either way, this wasnt a good/bad post for either EIM nor EITG. I had just spent a week working in EIM and was curious what the status was of EITG and the future since I really hadnt heard much from them after the split announcement.

Peace,
Cj

A debate of interest and personal issues had broken the spine, time to rest for EIAS.
MDD import is one big step which everybody thought it could not be done due to the structure of the software, seem to me that there is no more interest of EIA3D of being or not in CGTALK from time to time Brad of EITG will post some samples or clarify any misunderstanding but we have seen nothing but MDD from the new team.
Last i heard was something about MP and 64 bit from the EIAS3D, nothing to say from EITG world.
I admire CJ for glorifying EIM, never got to use it from begining to end of a project just for its booleans,knives and bevels. It is so difficult to model something from scratch with some simple drawings as a reference.
Edgard

Thread Closed share thread