Unfolding A 3D Model

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2010
Unfolding A 3D Model

Hi,

I have an elliptical shape, like a blimp, that I want to unfold so I can paint textures on an image in PHSP. Anyone know of a good way to do this? That won't cost a fortune? I made a texture in PHSP already, but the shape is wider than it is tall, and it doesn't line up properly.

Thanks!
Craig

04 April 2010
what program did you use to create the shape? Also, what type of textures are you painting?

04 April 2010
Hi Craig,

you can try UV Mapper Classic, which is free.

http://www.uvmapper.com/

Regards
Stefan

05 May 2010
Hi,

My models are all made in Form Z and exported as .fac then I exported an .obj file to attempt the mapping and I just hit one wall after another. I'd love to have UVs so I could paint in Z Brush or Bodypaint and just simply import the model with the textures intact.

In another thread discussing this, Silo is recommended. I just wonder if it can add UVs to existing models made in other apps?

And thank you very much for the tip on UV Mapper, Stephan. Much appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

05 May 2010
SteamRoller may help. It's an EI plug in.
Blender and Wings are free has UVs and you can find tutorials on YouTube.
I do consider O2F to be the default tool for OBJ import, but I often use Maya and FBX with EI.

05 May 2010
Originally Posted by AVTPro: SteamRoller may help. It's an EI plug in.
Blender and Wings are free has UVs and you can find tutorials on YouTube.
I do consider O2F to be the default tool for OBJ import, but I often use Maya and FBX with EI.

Too bad EIAS3d didnt get the rights to sell O2FACT. We now have acces to Maya models but without OBJ2FACT i dont see how can i import Paint FX into EIAS?

05 May 2010
What happened to Jens? Is XP going to be in future releases of EI? What about Rodeo?

PFX would be the same as OBJ, just use FBX. But as I mentioned, if you use EIAS and Obj, then you should already have O2F.

And I agree, they should have figured out a solution with Ramjac. EI needs them.

05 May 2010
Originally Posted by AVTPro: What happened to Jens? Is XP going to be in future releases of EI? What about Rodeo?

PFX would be the same as OBJ, just use FBX. But as I mentioned, if you use EIAS and Obj, then you should already have O2F.

And I agree, they should have figured out a solution with Ramjac. EI needs them.

Simple if you want to keep selling seats of an app you should already implement a way to bring your OBJ textures,and polys. What about those with PC? So dont defend so blind full EIAS you might fall into a ditch.
Edgard

05 May 2010
Originally Posted by A.C. Farley: Hi,

I have an elliptical shape, like a blimp, that I want to unfold so I can paint textures on an image in PHSP. Anyone know of a good way to do this? That won't cost a fortune? I made a texture in PHSP already, but the shape is wider than it is tall, and it doesn't line up properly.

Thanks!
Craig

Anywyas is not that OBJ2FACT is gonna save your ars.
A.C have you tried Silo again?
You can also add UV coordinates in Bodypaint i have done these with model coming from EIM.
Edgard

Last edited by ediris : 05 May 2010 at 03:54 AM.

05 May 2010
Originally Posted by ediris: Simple if you want to keep selling seats of an app you should already implement a way to bring your OBJ textures,and polys. What about those with PC? So dont defend so blind full EIAS you might fall into a ditch.
Edgard

??

Edgard,
Thanks for your advise on blindness and ditches. I'll will avoid them both.

05 May 2010
Hi Alonzo,

What's a good way to get Z Brush textures into EI? Please?

Thanks,
Craig

05 May 2010
Originally Posted by A.C. Farley: Hi Alonzo,

What's a good way to get Z Brush textures into EI? Please?

Thanks,
Craig

1) ZB to O2F to Fact to EIAS.

2) ZB to Maya to FBX to EIAS.

3) Sometimes transporter.

One of the two usually always works for me.

There's probably more solutions, like PolyTrans, or Silo.

If anyone else have more solutions please feel free to add them.

05 May 2010
Hi Alonzo,

Thanks. I wasn't knocking EI BTW.

Later,
Craig

05 May 2010
I didn't take it that way.

NP

05 May 2010
Actually,

You do a lot to share your enthusiasm. I'm glad you're out there.

-Craig

Thread Closed share thread