Lighting Challenge #26: (WIP) Matinee

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 02 February 2011   #31
More Feedback

RasoulValli: Nice start. I'd like to see some more gradients across surfaces. Right now the wall and screen are in the center of focus and are very evenly lit. Maybe have the middle of the wall be a little darker and then the edges are brighter as they get closer to the edges of the screen.

prestonplatt: Nice concept. The laser and fire really aren't fitting in right now as far as lighting. Try to add in some reds and oranges being emitted from them. Especially on the chair the laser is right next to.

alexhermes: If you or someone else would like to give me a more compatible max scene I'll replace the one on the main page.

MartinRomero: Good update. The composition is definitely an improvement. I'd like to see some more falloff from the main screen light so that as it's reaching the right edge of the image it's getting pretty dark. I'd also like to see some warm bounce light coming up from the carpet onto the backs of the chairs right in front of the character. The railing on the left could use a highlight just to define it a little more.

Last edited by kanooshka : 02 February 2011 at 01:15 PM.

Old 02 February 2011   #32
Originally Posted by kanooshka: RasoulValli: Nice start. I'd like to see some more gradients across surfaces. Right now the wall and screen are in the center of focus and is very evenly lit. Maybe have the middle of the wall be a little darker and then the edges are brighter as they get closer to the edges of the screen.

thank youvery much dear friend. I am tring to get better results. thanks.

Old 02 February 2011   #33
Smile WIP 02 - Kirat Gurung

Originally Posted by [b: kanooshka[/b]: Nice start. This image has a kind of eerie look to it since the character seems to be glowing a little bit and lacks pupils. Overall it's coming along nicely. I'd like to see some rim light coming from the projector onto the tops of the chairs. Also, both the underside of the hat and top of the head are really dark. It's difficult to see where the head ends and the hat begins. Some bounce light from his head onto the underside of the hat could help differentiate the two.

thanks for the suggestions kanooshka.

Here's my second update. Working slow... lots of other works at home and office... :(

Will do different light setup tomorrow.

Last edited by kyhalbu : 02 February 2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: didn't like small (thumbnail) images

Old 02 February 2011   #34
Here is another WIP

Thanks Kanooshka for your comments.
Here it is based on some of your comments.

Quote: MartinRomero: Good update. The composition is definitely an improvement. I'd like to see some more falloff from the main screen light so that as it's reaching the right edge of the image it's getting pretty dark. I'd also like to see some warm bounce light coming up from the carpet onto the backs of the chairs right in front of the character. The railing on the left could use a highlight just to define it a little more.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg matinee_naziversion_02.jpg (94.8 KB, 1398 views)

Old 02 February 2011   #35
First Test

Okay, so I´m in.

Started with the seats and here is my first material/geometry test.

C & C are most welcome

Cheers

Old 02 February 2011   #36
wip 1

light setup. softimage/mentalray

Old 02 February 2011   #37
New MAX file

Since some people were having issues with the MAX file, I've put up a new one on the first post, thanks to Alex Hermes

Old 02 February 2011   #38
Wip

Wip
Just a start.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Matinee_Z-Depth.jpg (45.4 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg Matinee_Z-Depth.jpg (45.4 KB, 144 views)

Old 02 February 2011   #39
I am IN

Hi
Hope I am IN. I will start today onwards.
Best luck to everyone.

Old 02 February 2011   #40
Angry Problem In Opening Ma File

Can Anyone Help ME As I Am Unable To Open .Ma File In My PC Tried In Maya 2010, 2009

Old 02 February 2011   #41
Originally Posted by stranger9: Can Anyone Help ME As I Am Unable To Open .Ma File In My PC Tried In Maya 2010, 2009

I used the fbx file, it will work fine.

Old 02 February 2011   #42
Comments

stranger9: If you enable the "ignore version" option in maya's open dialog you should be able to open the scene in any version of maya. But, FBX should work just as well.

balayeshwanth: Nice start. Try squinting your eyes to see where your attention is brought to. For me it's brought to the screen and to the railing in the bottom left. Adding a fairly dark image to the screen should help out with some of the attention it's drawing. I'm assuming one focus you want is on the character so try to find a little more balance between the two. The seats in the front are getting nice highlights and kicks. The chairs in the back rows seem to be way to bright in comparison to the front rows, try to bring those down a little bit.

genaf1: Good job so far. I'd like to see some rims and highlights from the projector onto some parts of the chairs and onto the character.

alexhermes: Nice start, keeping going.

MartinRomero: Good updates. The highlight on the railing is drawing a lot of attention to itself and seems to be brighter than the screen itself. The first row of seats in the back set of seats are getting lost on the carpet because they're very similar in color and intensity. Try to create some difference in color and/or value. Ask yourself questions like should the floor which is facing away from the screen be illuminated as brightly as the chairs facing it?

kyhalbu: Good update. One thing I'd like to start seeing is some highlights, especially from the screen he's looking at.

Old 02 February 2011   #43
Smile thanks...

Originally Posted by kanooshka: kyhalbu: Good update. One thing I'd like to start seeing is some highlights, especially from the screen he's looking at.

Thanks kanooshka... Ya! I have a super plan for that. will post in my next update.

Old 02 February 2011   #44
Here is another WIP

Thanks Kanooshka,

I totally agree, I brought the intensity down on the rails, the light over there is pretty intense so you would expect some reflections happening.

The worked on the falloff so now the intensity of the main screen does not go very far back giving a nice falloff. If you have any more comments or you think it needs improvement, I can continue to refine it, thanks so much Kanooshka.

Here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matinee_naziversion_03.jpg (95.6 KB, 1309 views)

Old 02 February 2011   #45
@genaf1
interesting camera angel
looking cool....!

reply share thread