Lighting Challenge #26: (WIP) Matinee

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 02 February 2011   #16
I am in

I am in
Hoping to actually finish a challenge for once.
Good Luck to all.

Old 02 February 2011   #17
Originally Posted by MartinRomero: Hello Everyone,

I still need to texture the kid however I refined some of the lighting all across. I have some lights on the ceiling, the lights below the speakers and the light coming from the screen.

I'll see what I can come up with next. CC are welcome!
Cheers.
Martin

less light is better i think.

I am in now! I like to make a nice image. help me!

Old 02 February 2011   #18
Go to http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/index.php?category=1
and you'll get plenty of reference pictures.

Old 02 February 2011   #19
Talking

Scene is interesting and hope to see the magic of CG Lighting. New to the forum..

Old 02 February 2011   #20
BLEND and MAX file formats

Thanks to abo-abdalaziz and Meta-Androcto we now have BLEND and MAX file formats available in the first post!

Old 02 February 2011   #21
Originally Posted by jobim: Go to http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/index.php?category=1
and you'll get plenty of reference pictures.

wow man! you did a great job!!! thank you very much.

Old 02 February 2011   #22
First Feedback!

speeder294: Good start. One thing that really sticks out to me is what appears to be a huge chair right in front of the character. The biggest reason this is an issue is because it looks like the character is looking directly into the back of the huge chair. I think if you were to lower the front row of chairs down so that they'd be below his eye level, it would help a lot. As far as lighting is concerned maybe you could try some more falloff with the light coming from the screen, it's fairly even from the row the character is sitting to the back row that's against the wall. Keep going!

MartinRomero: Nice work so far. Compositionally It's a little odd with the character right up against the edge of the image like that. Even if you were to just move him down a couple seats I think it would help some. I'm feeling like the light from the screen is a little bright and overall the theater is a little too bright. There's also a sharp vertical line down the object where the ceiling and the wall meet. Not sure if that's an issue with the wall or if the normals just need to e softened.

kyhalbu: Nice start. This image has a kind of eerie look to it since the character seems to be glowing a little bit and lacks pupils. Overall it's coming along nicely. I'd like to see some rim light coming from the projector onto the tops of the chairs. Also, both the underside of the hat and top of the head are really dark. It's difficult to see where the head ends and the hat begins. Some bounce light from his head onto the underside of the hat could help differentiate the two.

putyou2sleep : You're more than welcome to not use the model in your entries or model your own character if you'd like.

Thearetical : You can change or add things to the scene if you'd like but it's not required.

Old 02 February 2011   #23
hi

another wonderful challenge looking forward to join in
wips coming up soon!

Old 02 February 2011   #24
Here is another WIP

Thanks Kanooska,
MartinRomero: Nice work so far. Compositionally It's a little odd with the character right up against the edge of the image like that. Even if you were to just move him down a couple seats I think it would help some. I'm feeling like the light from the screen is a little bright and overall the theater is a little too bright. There's also a sharp vertical line down the object where the ceiling and the wall meet. Not sure if that's an issue with the wall or if the normals just need to e softened.

Yes I agree with you, I was still playing with the composition. I have tweaked so now this is the direction I think I want to go with. CC are welcome.
Thanks

This is inspired by one of the scenes from inglourious basterds

Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matinee_naziversion_01.jpg (93.4 KB, 1580 views)

Old 02 February 2011   #25
IŽll have a try

Old 02 February 2011   #26
Too bad! The max scene is vray, so I canŽt open it directly... so my first steps are importing and smoothing the mesh for having better edge results.

Old 02 February 2011   #27
Just Starting

Hy Guys this is my first time on this challenge Im starting the project today ... good luck everyone, will upload progress soon

Old 02 February 2011   #28
First Progress shot

Ive never done these challenges before Ive always just observed but im ganna give it a shot this time. Im going with an idea for 3D glasses how they are the new big thing and they make things "pop out at your face" This shows it blown out of proportion with the effects really going out of the screen and immersing the crazy kid hence the WOW face. Its going to get much better Im just doing it in bits of free time

[IMG][/IMG]

Used Maya and AfterEffects

Last edited by prestonplatt : 02 February 2011 at 09:44 PM.

Old 02 February 2011   #29
my first test

Hi dear friends. I am testing on lights now and at this point I'm not attentioned to the shaders or textures. So when I become satisfied of my lighting, I will start other jobs on the scene. What do you think about this work progress of mine?

Here is my first lighting test. Maya & Mental Ray 2011 was used and all shaders are a mia shader with no reflections and a diffuse wight of 0.8. I imagined that the movie has finished and all the lights in theatre have turned on and on the display behind the boy "The End" appears! please help me to improve my job. tnx.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg d.jpg (83.6 KB, 1534 views)

Last edited by RasoulValli : 02 February 2011 at 08:44 AM.

Old 02 February 2011   #30
Originally Posted by RasoulValli: Here is my first lighting test. Maya & Mental Ray 2011 was used and all shaders are a mia shader with no reflections and a diffuse wight of 0.8.

Are you using the Maya 2011 color management?

reply share thread