Lighting Challenge #25: (WIP) Artistry

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by JeffPatton: It had some minor post adjustments (contrast + glow + Chromatic Aberration).

Update:

I'm not really digging my ceiling joists here...back to the drawing board on those. Lot's more work for me on this one.

PS - Does this image look overly dark/contrasted for anyone else? I recently purchased new monitors and I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is due to my monitors or what. It looks normal in Photoshop & other apps on my workstation but when I view it in FireFox online it looks like the gamma is screwed up. Odd.

Looks ok here (although i cant compare with the original so im not sure)

Last edited by ACiD80 : 11 November 2010 at 05:29 AM.

11 November 2010
I get the same problem with Firefox screwing up the gamma of my images. Whenever I post photography online, I have to raise the blacks a little. I believe it's been logged with Mozilla.

11 November 2010
Hello to all !
first of all two link (that need checking) for the fix scene.
Waiting for fieedback and fixes if then everything is ok we can update the link in the first post.
I also have problem with firefox gamma
this two link can help you a lot

http://hacks.mozilla.org/2009/06/color-correction/
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/IC...tion_in_Firefox

so no need to change the image but just adjust profile

links to fixed scene

http://giorgioluciano.net/Storage/fix_max.rar
http://giorgioluciano.net/Storage/fix_fbx.rar

Last edited by jojo1975 : 11 November 2010 at 10:27 AM.

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by jojo1975: so no need to change the image but just adjust profile
Done and done. Thank you very much! "Fixed" that annoying issue here thanks to those links.

11 November 2010
Hey Jeff, I liked your wooden floor version more, in this version I think the floor is a little bit too reflective. I also think a little bit of DOF would help. I don't like the division on the walls, they're distracting.

As for the textures in the paintings, I guess it would be better if they were unfinished and a little more "noisy", that would create the impression that the "shoot" was done in an afternoon after the painters are gone :-D

That's my 2 cents for now, after some glasses of good old red wine

Cheers!
http://www.ycdivfx.com

11 November 2010
Thanks for the feedback! The floor has been polished concrete in both versions I've posted but the original was a light tan colored concrete instead of the darker version I'm using now. I'm still on the fence as to whether I like the floor dark or light so it may change again as I continue to work.

Thanks for the comment on the walls. My eyes get drawn to those too much now as well. I was thinking about adding more 'stuff' to the walls and more chaos (spilled paint, etc.) throughout the room and thought the rough walls might blend in better as those elements are added. If it doesn't then it's outta there!

Totally agree with you on my painting textures. I'm not happy at all with those at the moment & will need to spend more time in that area.

11 November 2010
Wow, this is cool - and this is a great thing for me as a Maya n00b to use to try to get to know the program better.
Some awesome images uploaded so far! I'm not going to get anywhere near that since I'm not much of a lighting/rendering guy, but it should be a great learning experience at least.

11 November 2010
This is just a first draft to get started:

I know there are some issues like the poor definition of those blank canvas-thinges and such.

Maya/mental ray.

Higher rez

11 November 2010
wow so many good works already :( better get started soon

11 November 2010
Hi all, I really like the theme, I wanted to have a go at one of these when i saw the fair ground one a while back but didnt have the time.

I am in for this one though, some really nice work so far. I look forward to joining and learning alot.

11 November 2010
I was getting some weird results with my glass material's absorption... then i noticed the windowpanes are about 6cm thick?!

11 November 2010
Feedback

Visua : Nice start. Compositionally the room seems pretty empty and could use some more clutter. Most of the canvases are getting lost against the background but I'm assuming you'll be putting some paintings on them. It also looks like you might have some light leaking in the center light of the ceiling, but that may also be bounce light from the left wall.

JeffPatton: Overall I like where this image is headed. I agree with you about the joists in he ceiling perhaps they're just too busy visually as well as very dark compared to the rest of the image which draws a lot of attention to it. The legs on the stools in the foreground seem to get extremely dark on the inside facing the middle, see if you can lighten them just a little bit. I'm not sure how I feel about all the lines that are parallel to he floor. There's the wall split in half, and the slats on the ceiling. I'm curious what it would look like if the wall pattern was vertical instead.

FrankThomas: Good updates. The pottery has a very nice quality to it, their shape is very clearly defined and has nice contrast with the pools of light illuminating it. It'd be great if you could bring that same quality into the rest of the scene. The dark chairs in the bottom left corner bring a lot of attention to themselves. Try lightening them up just a little bit so they're not so distracting. Keep going with this.

MaTtY631990: Nice work. I'm noticing that the lights hanging from the ceiling look to be the same brightness as the outside light. Decreasing the intensity of the interior lights and adding a bright glow on the windows and a smaller glow on the hanging lights should increase the realism.

TaKIKO: Good job, though wow, you did get a bit comp happy. Most of the effects okay, but the vignetting looks a little strong. Compositionally I feel the camera could be moved up some so that the chairs on the left are at the bottom of the image or even cut off the bottom part so it's a long horizontal image. There's one ceiling light that's extremely blown out, try to tone that down some, it's very distracting.

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: I was getting some weird results with my glass material's absorption... then i noticed the windowpanes are about 6cm thick?!

Maybe it's meant to be bulletproof plexiglass. It could be that there are some really controversial and politically incorrect artists working in there.

I started working on mine and then started noticing all kinds of things about the model that need to be fixed. I had to completely remodel my own interior for it and all the objects have far far more polygons than they need. If you add them up, all the pieces of chalk by the blackboards have over 42,000 polygons! I mean seriously, all they are is cylinders, they should have just 24 sides at the most and be only maybe 48 polygons per piece, maybe a little more if you add edge loops for a really up-close chalk shot. . *Some* of the chalk pieces on the far right though are far more optimized, but the ones in the middle and on the left are way out of control, especially considering how small and insignificant they are. And the UVs for everything are a disaster. Not to mention the magical floating light fixtures.

By the way, that's an awesome render you have at the top of this page. Excellent texturing!

Last edited by twosheds : 11 November 2010 at 04:28 PM.

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by twosheds: I started working on mine and then started noticing all kinds of things about the model that need to be fixed. I had to completely remodel my own interior for it and all the objects have far far more polygons than they need.

Yeah, Im also planning remodeling this.. hopefully i'll find the time for it, so i can actually finish it for once.

btw, since im going to remodel this, is it allowed to slightly different designs?

Originally Posted by twosheds: By the way, that's an awesome render you have at the top of this page. Excellent texturing!

Its a nice render indeed, but unfortunately its not done by me... Thats a render by JeffPaton (as you can see in the previous page)

Last edited by ACiD80 : 11 November 2010 at 06:24 PM.

11 November 2010

Hey all =)!
Next time I gonna take off the canevas against the desk and remove the piece of furniture in the middle of my picture.

Thread Closed share thread