Lighting Challenge #25: (WIP) Artistry

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2011
here's my chance at the scene tho im not sure if i'll finish in time; i'm having trouble choosing wood textures for the desk,tables, stools, and easel. besides that, i'm going to re-arrange the seating bcuz its too much black for me. ohh....i have no idea what the basket-looking objects are in-front of the stacked chairs, anybody have a clue?

01 January 2011
first challenge entry

Hi guys, hope everyone had really good holidays. This is my first entry here in a CGTalk Challenge. I enjoy seeing all the different looks that can come out of this scene. Well this is my take on that subject.

Comments are very welcome, since I am already blinded of looking so much at the same thing...

01 January 2011
Smile

Originally Posted by gustavoeb: Hi guys, hope everyone had really good holidays. This is my first entry here in a CGTalk Challenge. I enjoy seeing all the different looks that can come out of this scene. Well this is my take on that subject.

Comments are very welcome, since I am already blinded of looking so much at the same thing...

Ohhh!!! looks something Different
nice shader...
but I think in bg, blue tone is more dominated...may be there is a mixture of both fog and blue tone??? wht is tht light source?? is it light coming from window? or its a artificial light??
keep it up!

01 January 2011
Hey Maxmit, thanks for the reply. So the blue light is comming from one window on the ceiling, and the yellowish orange light is coming from a artificial light source behind the canvas. There is a fog, and it only affects the light coming from the window.

Well I'll try to bring down the intensity of the light coming from the window and I should post it here again.

By the way really like what you did with your scene, looks very photoreal and interesting at the same time. And great job with the woods in that scene too.

01 January 2011
Here's an update to me image. Thanks

01 January 2011
Looking amazing!
I know your lights are not turned on but, thats the only thing looking fake to me.

Originally Posted by ransomink: here's my chance at the scene tho im not sure if i'll finish in time; i'm having trouble choosing wood textures for the desk,tables, stools, and easel. besides that, i'm going to re-arrange the seating bcuz its too much black for me. ohh....i have no idea what the basket-looking objects are in-front of the stacked chairs, anybody have a clue?

01 January 2011
Some Feedback

Luthias: Looking good. I'd like to see some more highlights on the objects in the scene. I'd also like to see some light spilling in from the windows.

gustavoeb: Welcome! This is coming along nicely. The light sources look a little too saturated. Though it's nice to create contrast with the light colors it's a bit too much and splits the image. Here's some color correcting and paintover of some ideas that may help out. http://dockay.com/CGTalk/LightingCh...stavoeb_257.png

ransomink: Nice textures and shaders. Overall everything is fairly evenly lit. Try to create some more contrast and shading with the light. It looks like the light is coming from the windows but I don't see much direct light from the window illuminating the objects and floor. Here's a paintover with some ideas. http://dockay.com/CGTalk/LightingCh...nsomink_256.png

Tuovni: Never too late, still more than a week left! This is coming along nicely. One thing that your image could use is some soft skylight spilling in through the windows. As well as some light bouncing off the bright sun spots onto other objects. Here's a paintover as an example: http://dockay.com/CGTalk/LightingCh.../tuovni_255.png

CanadianBeaver: Awesome colors! Overall the image could use some more shading contrast. Here's some ideas: http://dockay.com/CGTalk/LightingCh...nBeaver_252.png

Inky99: The fog built into spotlights in Maya work best in Maya software. Try doing the fog as a separate pass them compositing it together.

01 January 2011
Cool It looks like you missed a few of us!

Hey Kanooshka! It looks like you skipped a few of us.
Here are my entries. #237

Thanks!
Martin

01 January 2011
Smile update

Originally Posted by gustavoeb: Hey Maxmit, thanks for the reply. So the blue light is comming from one window on the ceiling, and the yellowish orange light is coming from a artificial light source behind the canvas. There is a fog, and it only affects the light coming from the window.

Well I'll try to bring down the intensity of the light coming from the window and I should post it here again.

By the way really like what you did with your scene, looks very photoreal and interesting at the same time. And great job with the woods in that scene too.

Hi
Gustavoeb, Thank you for appreciate.
All are going very good so far,
just keep going on!!

here is my another update, C & C are welcome........

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

I have still Doubt about Lens flare..dont know I am going wrong or right..

01 January 2011
More Feedback

MartinRomero: Overall your images are improving. It's much easier to see that the room is filled with water. How about some caustic patterns on the walls reflecting off the surface of the water. It would make the first image a little more interesting to look at. As for the second image, in a lighting situation like this the objects would be much more silhouetted. Keep the bright reflections and decrease the diffuse lighting and add in some rim lights on the objects. Here's a quick paintover with some ideas, hope it helps. http://dockay.com/CGTalk/LightingCh...nRomero_237.png

ptk: Nice job. One thing that sticks out to me is the blue sky next to the bright white window sill. It's hard to understand which direction the sun is coming because all the sides of the window sill are completely white, try to create some shading variation on them. When it comes to the props in the scene their indirect lighting is a little too constant. As an example, if you look at the crate in the bottom right of the image the two vertical sides are illuminated equally. Try brightening the left side a little from light bouncing off the floor from the sun.

genaf1: Looking good. Night scenes are always difficult because you have to be particular in how your objects get defined. Usually reflections, highlights as well as rim lights work well to define them. One thing to ask yourself would be what is the focus of your scene? Once you've decided on that you can try to direct the viewers eye with the illumination.

tuffmutt1: Awesome! It looks like you've lost a little bit of definition in the shadow areas that was in your last. Some areas in particular would be to the very left of the image behind the canvas, the bottom of the ceiling light and the object in the bottom right corner. The bright white cloth that's in the middle of the image draws a lot of attention and it's hard to look away from it. Try to decrease its diffuse value a little bit. Also, the window could use a little glow on it to break up the high contrast of the sky right next to the window. Very nice work.

praksly: This challenge is open until January 16th. To participate post an image by replying to this thread.

01 January 2011
CanadianBeaver: i agree. something with the scene still seems off to me--probly the light fixtures being off--i'm trying to figure out how to approach emitting light from the fixtures. hopefully, soon, my answer will come. i like your wood texture on the props; i'm bad at picking textures...

kanooshka: thanks for the paintover ideas, and yes, i took out the sun light bcuz i didn't appreciate the shadows they were giving--the light fixtures created too many hot spots for my liking--a different sun direction might yield better results bcuz now, the scene is only lit with a sky at the moment--hence, the even light around the room

01 January 2011
Hey Kanooshka, thanks so much for the input, and for taking the time to actually CC the image

Here is a image based on the things you pointed out, it really improved a lot!

I don't think it is final yet, but I won't have time to look into this until next week

01 January 2011
Update

Hello,

This is my update

Originally Posted by jeremybirn: @pmcb - That's great work!

Overall you could use more spill light on the scene coming through the windows. More light could spill outside of the moonbeam, softly fading off outside of the squares that get that direct illumination. That would help the floor and walls get more gradation.

The spill on the brick walls on the left should be much softer, and should not come all the way to the top of the wall. The way the brick walls are lit now you'd think the skylights came all the way over to meet the wall, when actually they start a foot or two away from the wall.

The main thing to focus on in that image is your center of interest. Right now, the part of the image that most catches my eye is that bright white sign on the lower right. That area seems to get more light than anything else, and pops out from the image if you squint at it. Perhaps that could be made much more subtle, you could get rid of the Comic-Sans type lettering, and some more artistic part of the image could be made more eye-catching instead.

The 2nd most attention-grabbing part is the pair of images in the moonbeam on the left. I think those could use more spill light coming through the windows, spilling outside of the areas of the moonbeams. You might think about choosing stronger images for those, too, so they aren't so similar to the other images on the further-off canvases.

Keep Going!

-jeremy

Thank you Jeremy, it was very usefull. I made the light spill more from the left side. I changed too some objects position
(can I change my "final image" for this?)

Originally Posted by Maxmit: its looking good but i am talking about dust,
If there is a dust around u r fog or rays r coming through the window its look much better..
m not sure but just think about that...

Maxmit, thank you. I introduced a general fog, and I think it results well, more lighter.

01 January 2011
Thanks!
Quote: MartinRomero: Overall your images are improving. It's much easier to see that the room is filled with water. How about some caustic patterns on the walls reflecting off the surface of the water. It would make the first image a little more interesting to look at. As for the second image, in a lighting situation like this the objects would be much more silhouetted. Keep the bright reflections and decrease the diffuse lighting and add in some rim lights on the objects. Here's a quick paintover with some ideas, hope it helps. http://dockay.com/CGTalk/LightingCh...nRomero_237.png

I'll work on those things!

01 January 2011
Smile

I think this´ll end up as my final...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Atelier_Prefinal_02.jpg (83.7 KB, 52 views)

Thread Closed share thread