Lighting Challenge #23: Mad Science (WIP)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 05 May 2010   #46
Great work so far everyone! Can't wait to see where they go.

@TheOutsider - I LOVE what you have done so far. The colors are amazing and I definitely see the mood you are going for. I'll keep my eye on this one.

Hope to have my first render up soon. I think I'll start from plain white materials similar to TheOutsider so I can really establish my idea first. I love the challenge kanooshka, great job. Also, I was looking at your website and I saw that you went to Springfield College, right around the time I was visiting colleges. I went to Springfield and they showed me around the Maya lab and the art facilities and I came really close to going there, even sent in my deposit. It could have been anyone but I thought I remembered meeting someone named Dan on my tour around there. Anywho, just thought I'd mention that. Go forth and light everyone!

Old 05 May 2010   #47
Hey,
My first lighting challange and what an awesome theme!

First render, getting the overall look of the scene worked out before I start on any texturing etc.

Old 05 May 2010   #48
Thanks to Limbus, as well as Jeremy for hosting them on his site, Lightwave and Modo file formats are now available on 3drender.com!

Old 05 May 2010   #49
Hello Mr.Konieczka. I recently saw that i-phone spelling game screen shot that you made on vimeo. It was so cool.

Lighting Demoreel Fall-Spring 2010
My Website

Old 05 May 2010   #50
good challenge for me

I have no experience with the imagination job.I am interesting in it and try my best to do it .I am happy to get anyone's advice!

Old 05 May 2010   #51
Originally Posted by kanooshka: Hey everyone, here's a quick render I put together. Hope to be able to work on it more!

how u going my freind ,it's me fruit bow

1- I like your lighting and the contrast between the warm and cold color , but for this scene i will go with green instead of red.
2- you camera angle doesn't capture lot's of details ,try using wider lens.
3- you have to work hard with the material to get nice image(like the liquid and other stuff)
Best Regards

Old 05 May 2010   #52
Smile nice contest

hey guyes..

this must be a nice contest, i will difinetly participet..

Cherrs.

Old 05 May 2010   #53
Cool

Hello All,

This is my first challenge. I have been following this forum for awhile and have been amazed and inspired by the work of all the artists. Here's my WIP. Just playing with materials so far. No major work on lighting yet.

Comments welcome.

Last edited by speeder294 : 05 May 2010 at 05:58 AM.

Old 05 May 2010   #54
Small update. I ditched the temp lighting, added a backwall and started to set up some lights. Right now I have one arealight and a distant light to the right acting as window and sun. A fill arealight is placed oposite of the windowlight. A spotlight is used to add some contrast to the back wall. And a last but not least I added a rimlight from behind. I replaced the materials with a default grey (diffuse 80% RGB: 202) so I can judge light distrubution and color a little better.

Cheers, Florian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LC23_002.JPG (94.4 KB, 663 views)

Old 05 May 2010   #55
actually no one has put label ABNORMAL on the brain ))

Old 05 May 2010   #56
Originally Posted by speeder294: Hello All,

This is my first challenge. I have been following this forum for awhile and have been amazed and inspired by the work of all the artists. Here's my WIP. Just playing with materials so far. No major work on lighting yet.

Comments welcome.

Hi, that's some nice work. As far as I can tell, the first attempt at refraction yet. However, I think this highlights some issues. The spherical shape acts like a wide angle lens and makes the sparsity of the surrounding environment apparent. Thus, I think you are going to have to place more objects around it.

The reflection on the jar looks a bit odd too, with three round highlights next to each other looks odd too however, you say you haven't done much with the lighting so I'm sure this will improve in the future.

The colour filters on the goggles look a bit saturated. If they were photographic filters (and I'm not saying they are), they would reflect a small amount of light just like normal glass and would only let through blue or red light from behind. In your case the this is almost pure black, the only colour that you would see would be some red from the corner of paper.

Old 05 May 2010   #57
I everyone. Some updates...

Old 05 May 2010   #58

Adding lights , some materials and a wall which won´t be empty...Just thinking about what I could put on there. (Thanks WhiteG3!!!)

Old 05 May 2010   #59
Update with materials and a little work in Photoshop:

Cheers, Florian

Old 05 May 2010   #60
Oooooooh ! Lots of reflections and caustics, I think its gonna be a tough task for my pc !

My Demoreel (MAY 2010)

Last edited by preetamsaha : 05 May 2010 at 05:15 PM.

reply share thread