Lighting Challenge #23: Mad Science (WIP)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 05 May 2010   #16
Originally Posted by abeld3dg: hi, I can not download any files ,why put these files to jeremybirn's website ?

Dan has given me the files, and they are are on 3dRender.com now:

http://www.3drender.com/challenges/index.htm

Looks like a great challenge!

-jeremy

Old 05 May 2010   #17
fun fun fun!...her's something i ran into...

Old 05 May 2010   #18
i am new to lighting and this is my first lighting challenge......
hoping for everyone's help...........

Old 05 May 2010   #19

3Drender.com is not working now. I guess we have to wait until being available.

Thanks for new challengue!...Looks great!

Nice starting TuffMutt1 !! ... Looks like very realistic!...but like a studio set...I guess you´re trying materials.Nice work.

Old 05 May 2010   #20
Originally Posted by TheOutsider: Nice starting TuffMutt1 !! ... Looks like very realistic!...but like a studio set...I guess you´re trying materials.Nice work.

Correct me if i am wrong, but that is not this scene? meant for reference?

Old 05 May 2010   #21
My first lighting challenge that i plan to enter.

-[You wont get better till you start playin wit the big boys!]

Old 05 May 2010   #22
Smile Lighting Challenge 23 - Mad Science

Lighting Challenge 23 - Mad Science (WIP)

Hi again,

This is Chirag Parmar from India, this is my second entry for this great community, previously I was working on the Carnival Challenge but as this 23rd challenge started I myself started working on to it.

As I am not a lighting Artist I would like to get any sort of comments, critics & suggestions from all the lighting artist out there, enough talking here is my first test render for this challenge, there is still lot to do so consider it likewise. I have added two more elements to make it look more interesting those are (A) Periodic Table Board (B) A Green Board with something written on it.

Hoping to get some comments on this one.

Waiting for comments

Regards

Chirag Parmar

Last edited by chiragkopaigam : 05 May 2010 at 02:07 PM.

Old 05 May 2010   #23
Hi Chirag -

Good start. The perspective on the back wall is disturbing, maybe the wall would look more natural if parallel to the table?

For a scene where most of your objects are back-lit, you really want to play-up the bounce light, rims, and kicks, to make sure the objects all get enough shaping and variety in their lighting. It would be OK to go really dark in the shelf under the books, but the bright pools of light on the table should each cause some bounce light, and there could be kicks and rims and reflections on the left side of a lot of the shiny objects.

The front of the table facing us seems very bright and blank. Put something there, or crop it out of the shot.

-jeremy

Old 05 May 2010   #24
Lighting Challenge 23 - Mad Science

critis are most welcome

thankss......

Old 05 May 2010   #25

Originally Posted by xeltestic: Correct me if i am wrong, but that is not this scene? meant for reference?

No no no...You`re right man...Looks like an image with an Hdri...LOL.. (Fail )

Old 05 May 2010   #26
Well, this is my first go at it. Modified some of the materials (any mad scientist worth his salt has to have a beaker full of glowing green goo somewhere)
I'm not entirely sure the overhead light works at the moment, I might need to model a bulb or something so at the light at least appears to be coming from somewhere.

Last edited by FrankThomas : 05 May 2010 at 07:17 PM. Reason: added photo link

Old 05 May 2010   #27
Originally Posted by FrankThomas: Well, this is my first go at it. Modified some of the materials (any mad scientist worth his salt has to have a beaker full of glowing green goo somewhere)
I'm not entirely sure the overhead light works at the moment, I might need to model a bulb or something so at the light at least appears to be coming from somewhere.

Incase you didn't notice, the papers under the goggles disappeared! :P

Old 05 May 2010   #28
That's a bit weird. They are definitely there in the scene. Still, I haven't finished with the materials yet

Old 05 May 2010   #29
Bit more tweaking of the mats etc.
I'm still not totally convinced by the overhead light but we'll see. I think it might be the tabletop but I'll have to fiddle around and see what comes up

Old 05 May 2010   #30
FrankThomas: Good work so far! The lighting from overhead can work well but I think the softer dropoff you had in your first image worked a little better to frame the image. The harsh line of the edge of the desk is distracting. Try either moving the camera closer or you could even change the aspect ratio of the render.

amitlighting: Nice start! The slash of light works well but draws a little too much attention to itself. Try getting some nice reflections and highlights on the right side of the image. Especially on glass in the bottom right corner. You could probably also do with some more bounce light. The highlight on the glass in the background looks a little rough. That makes it look a little more like plastic than glass.

reply share thread