Lighting Challenge #22: The Carnival (WIP)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 02 February 2010   #31
hello

tuffmutt you guys did nice job,,

Old 02 February 2010   #32
WOW, nice job on scene. I'm in.

Old 02 February 2010   #33
The file definitely looks like fun and hopefully I will find the time to actually complete this one.

I do have one question though and it pertains to technique. I was wondering what you guys use to get the effect of a lit bulb. I personally have been doing FG to light them, but I know that you can just plop an area light with a sphere shape into the light itself. The reason why I use FG is that I find that it's quicker when you have a lot of light bulbs (like this scene) and I figure if you used area lights, render time would go through the roof just to have proper shadows and what not.

The downfall of FG is that it's just a solid color when it's up close (I apply the FG emitting shader to the bulb geo) and when you actually look at a lit bulb in the real world, it's not a flat color in all places since the light is actually emitted from the filament and not the glass.

So I would just like to know how you guys go about getting the affect of a lit bulb

Old 02 February 2010   #34
wip 1

kanooshka thanks for organizing the Challenge! Thanks for your modeling! Good choice.
My variation. Research base lights and composition.

Old 02 February 2010   #35
Well, I thought of going after the horror theme. I created like a crime scene with couple of fbi guys. Don't know if it at all look. Couldn't render in mental ray as its taking like forever, so I had to stick with the humble software render . I 'am pretty much sure that the render sucks but thought of posting it anyway. The lights are far from complete, textures have lot of touch up to do. Please suggest anything to make it look good.

Lighting Demoreel Fall-Spring 2010
My Website

Old 02 February 2010   #36
Thumbs up Sweet

Cool, I'm in. I think I will go with 2 entries.

Let's see how well the first one goes. I want to stick to what we got delivered. The second will be a Terry Gilliam style, saturated, weird dreamy one....

Old 02 February 2010   #37
update.. added lights to the giant wheel some post processing in pshop including DoF.full ver

Old 02 February 2010   #38
Quote:
Well, I thought of going after the horror theme. I created like a crime scene with couple of fbi guys. Don't know if it at all look. Couldn't render in mental ray as its taking like forever, so I had to stick with the humble software render . I 'am pretty much sure that the render sucks but thought of posting it anyway. The lights are far from complete, textures have lot of touch up to do. Please suggest anything to make it look good.

Hey, it looks nice. Could you add an ao pass to it? If memory serves right you can do that alone in in mental ray and do the rest in software.
T.
Shape from that thy work of art.
-Longfellow

Old 02 February 2010   #39
A little feedback

I'm glad everyone seems to be liking this challenge so far. Looking forward to more WIP's!

tuffmutt1: Looking good! You're capturing the plastic material on the horses very well. I'd like to see some more color in the lights, this challenge gives a lot of freedom to play with color.

djprasun: Nice start! I'd like to see more emphasis on the subject with your lighting.The carousel is very brightly lit and pulls the attention away from the characters on the left. Perhaps adding some sort of street light on the left and turning down the intensity of the carousel's lights would pull the eye over to them.

genaf1: Good start. If you're going to have the roller coaster up front, you may need to add subdivisions to smooth out the angles.

comfortk: I like to apply a surface shader to the lit light bulb and disable its shadows. Not only does it decrease render time, but it allows a lot more control over how the bulb itself will look. For emitting light I'll use either a point light or a spot light. This renders much faster than using FG to emit light. However, it always depends on the situation and what you need for a particular shot. For example if you had a closeup of a light bulb, you'd want to make this bulb more physically accurate.But, in most cases, the bulb is far enough away that it's not necessary.

Old 02 February 2010   #40
tuffmutt1 -

That's terrific! You're off to a great start.

The merry-go-round has a really nice quality. Some rim light on the right edge could help define the right edge and side poles, so the poles don't disappear where the reflection goes darker. The lower third of the image needs more variety and shadows, on the base of the merry-go-round, the ground, the fence, etc. It's OK to imagine other rides and attractions off-screen to the left or right, and put in more reflections and highlights where you want from them.

The tent (or whatever's on the right) could use more shaping, shadows, and color variety as well, I can't tell what it is yet.

The DOF looks very fake and ruins the image. Study real night photos of lights falling out of focus, and try to get the DOF and bokeh right -- or else just get rid of the effect and go deep-focus.

-jeremy

Old 02 February 2010   #41
Blender File Format available!

Thanks to halfPintMike there is now a Blender file format available.http://www.dockay.com/CGTalk/Lighti...nival_BLEND.rar

Old 02 February 2010   #42
@kanooshka- Thank you. I'll surely tryout your suggestion. This challenge is way beyond my league but I'll still try. But my computer is showing me no mercy . This is really the toughest one yet...

Lighting Demoreel Fall-Spring 2010
My Website

Old 02 February 2010   #43
Hi,
my first test for this chalenge ! There is a lot of textures to do, but for the first night, here is where I am.
Thanks for the scene, it is a great model and can get really great things!!
good luck to all !!
Dje

full size

http://www.dje-animation.com/images...e/carnival2.jpg

Old 02 February 2010   #44
Here is what I am working on let me know what you think.

www.robertwest3d.com

Old 02 February 2010   #45
I will go for two theme 1. abandoned 2. bright night... first wanna try abandoned... want to give it an old rusty abandoned park look with overcast weather... any critics and suggestion is always welcome... just started to work in the scene so nothin much yet...

reply share thread