Lighting Challenge #21: The Bedroom

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 11 November 2009   #61
This is very nice thread. I like renders especially sushidelic supply.

I just finished some own renders.

Hope you like it

My portfolio:
http://www.michalkotek.com

Old 11 November 2009   #62
flashlight test

My portfolio:
http://www.michalkotek.com

Old 11 November 2009   #63
Originally Posted by oneczech: drmaya ... the first image of yours looks better atmosphere wise, the colors just feel more interesting then blue .. the blue is more cliché to me and looks too clean. Also, just a little point, i would make the poster a little more unbalanced as far as composition .. this is too much in the center with the wall and the pillow, makes me wanna jump between the too and i assume the pillow is the center of the image, so maybe make the poster a little bigger and point to the pillow with one of the corners or something ...

else it looks pretty nice, what did you use to render it??

Thanks mate 'm going to fix everything u told me
for the render I’m using mental ray in Maya
render time about 7 mins in my old machine J
I didn't use FG or GI.
After the composition I render my scene again with FG
and find that it's slightly bright the scene so I add it on the top of
all layers which took about 14 mins :(
I will be working at your suggestion

Thanks again

Old 11 November 2009   #64
Originally Posted by oneczech: and PLEASE, if you could, give credits to David Vacek who was actually the key modeler.

so just write "modelled by: David Vacek, design by: David Tousek" .... this is more precise and if im the only one listed, it would not be fair ...

sorry for the confusion, it was couple months ago when i gave this to Jeremy and did not really clear this little formal detail.

THANK YOU MUCH
david

Yep

I will add this information at the final peace (after fixing everything)
Thanks

Old 11 November 2009   #65

Hi all,

This is my first lighting challenge. There is not too much to see yet; just decided on my composition, placed my keylight and added some bounce lights. I am trying to use Houdini for this one, as I am trying to learn it, so if there are any other Houdini users here, I would really like to link up and exchange thoughts, knowledge, etc... Feel free to send me a msg

Cheers.
Engin

Old 11 November 2009   #66
Thumbs up Feedback!

mk3d-cz(flashlight) - Great start! Nice texturing, and the flashlight could be a starting point for an "afraid of the dark." Maybe you could get more dark shadow areas if the flashlight didn't come from so close to the camera angle? A true quadratic decay on the flashlight might help shape the illumination better, too, overexposing near the light and making it get darker with distance.

mk3d-cz(MTV suicide series) - Great work! I love the texturing. The floor with the different color highlights is terrific. I think you could push the image a little more out of balance. Maybe the left side with the lamp could get brighter, with more bounce light from the area lit by the lamp bouncing up and around the left side? Or a translucent red lampshade casting some warm light up there? The balance might be broken a bit by rotating the camera off-kilter too. Maybe a little more white light mixed with the blue in the window, but more warm light on the left, could give a punchy image while maintaining contrast between a bright left side and mostly-dark right side?

Voigg - Welcome! I can't tell which mood you're going for yet, but keep going!

Weihalter - Welcome! Keep going with your scene!

oneczech - Thanks for the notice! Credits are being changed.

NADERDES - That's looking good. I'm not sure which mood you're going for yet, is it going to be the glorious morning? I think you could work more on indirect light (like the green illumination transmitted through the plant leaves, light bouncing into shadow areas, etc.) and use more color in your sun and sky lighting. I'm not sure where the light on the left side of the cabinet is coming from -- isn't the light coming from the window? Maybe you could get rid of the light coming from the same direction as the camera?

drmaya - Great work with the texturing! One small point: the front of the amplifier seems too reflective, try google image search for 'guitar amp' for an idea... Your lighting is off to a good start. I think you could use more contrast and dark shadows in the scene to carry the "afraid of the dark" idea further. Maybe render a image of just your key light, with just one light illuminating the scene, and adjust it so that about half the image is in shadow, half in light? For the fill light, you need a little more at the foreground part of the bed, to simulate translucency through the sheets and bounce light, but otherwise maybe there could be less fill in some places? If the shadow areas get too boring, just a few highlights can sometimes bring them to life.

Loetril - Maybe try again, or use another format like .fbx, etc.?

BlenderFan - Internesting image! I wonder if you could get more out of the scene with the lighting and shadows, and perhaps with atmosphere and fog in the room, so that it didn't look so much like a flatly lit room before the color was added?

Ackee - That's beautiful already! For the morning light, a little more color contrast (warm sun, cool sky fill) could help, maybe with some pinks and purples worked into the fill light. A lot of bounce light, where the light from the sun bounces back into the scene with a warm glow, could really help the happy feeling of the scene.

kraphik - Great start! I think that sky fill could use more color, and the scene could use more sky fill and more bounce light.

visua - Great beginning! Keep going!

sumeetkaur - Can you try downloading again, make sure you got the full 7585KB file?

GecT - Great start! You have nice levels of sunlight and sky fill. Try adding more color, warmer yellow to the sun, cooler blue (or at least some pink or purple) for the sky? I like the translucency of the chair. The plant leaves and poster paper could also use some translucency. Even if the leaves and paper aren't transparent (you can't see through them), they should be translucent in the sense that light hitting the front of these surfaces makes the back side brighter, and they should cast shadows that are lighter than the shadows an opaque object would cast. I think the fill light could use more variety, getting brighter near the window on the right, and diminishing in intensity before the left corner. Some warm bounce light coming up from the bed onto nearby surfaces would also add richness and variety to the scene.

xX_eXiGe_Xx - Good start. The sunbeams are OK. I'd only use the volume lights for fill if you were rendering those out like a separate ambient pass and multiplying that with ambient occlusion. Otherwise, if you're trying to get a useable image straight out of the renderer, I'd say just some area lights in each window for the soft sky fill, then very selective bounce lighting from the sunlit areas. Light bounces infinitely, but you only need to add as much as you see.

Fex - Great start! Keep going!

heavenideas - Great start! If you need to put a primitive plane below the floorboards to prevent the light leak in the cracks, then feel free to add a surface there. That circle of light on the floor in the lower right also looks unnatural. Some of the other shadow leaks look as if they need to be adjusted in the lights, not the geometry, especially the light leaking into the middle of the woman's butt. The monitor screen looks strangely over-exposed, especially when compared to the view out of the window. Make sure what's on her computer screen works with the story and colors and feeling of the scene as a whole. The view out the window might be brighter than it is now, more overexposed, to justify how bright the sunlight looks on the floor.

preetamsaha - Wonderful scene! I wonder if you could work more color variety into the sunset lighting? And maybe a bit more warm bounce light coming from the sunlit surfaces?

-jeremy

Old 11 November 2009   #67
This is what I got so far. This is turning out to be a great challenge as all the entries are superb in their respected mood.

Lighting Demoreel Fall-Spring 2010
My Website

Old 11 November 2009   #68
My WIP

Hi guys, Jeremy,

Great to see a tons of great renderings for this challenge. Here's my first try on this challenge. The mood that I'm trying to achieve is the Romantic Sunset. Hope you guys can give me critics and comments on this one

Cheers and happy lighting....

Old 11 November 2009   #69
Wink

Originally Posted by jeremybirn:
drmaya - Great work with the texturing! One small point: the front of the amplifier seems too reflective, try google image search for 'guitar amp' for an idea... Your lighting is off to a good start. I think you could use more contrast and dark shadows in the scene to carry the "afraid of the dark" idea further. Maybe render a image of just your key light, with just one light illuminating the scene, and adjust it so that about half the image is in shadow, half in light? For the fill light, you need a little more at the foreground part of the bed, to simulate translucency through the sheets and bounce light, but otherwise maybe there could be less fill in some places? If the shadow areas get too boring, just a few highlights can sometimes bring them to life.

-jeremy

Thanks mate
I have changed almost every things u told me about lighting removing the bounce lights to increase the shadow intensity .also, increasing the intensity of the key light and cookie maps(trees) to have strong contrast
any suggestion before going on texturing and composition?
Should I create another spot light to illuminate the 'guitar amp'? (Object link)
NO FG No Gi
Render time about 12 mins

Old 11 November 2009   #70
test

Hi everyone.
Thanks Jeremy for challenge.
Thanks David Vacek for your modeling.
Research lighting, camera position and composition.

Old 11 November 2009   #71
The Bedroom

hi guys! here is my work. used maya mr.
Thanks Jeremy and David Vacek for challenge.

Old 11 November 2009   #72
I was trying to create a night scene and then work from there to get that 'afraid of the dark look'.

Lighting Demoreel Fall-Spring 2010
My Website

Old 11 November 2009   #73
Hi

My name is Robert and it is my first lighting challenges. In this session a see very nice renders but me still is not good.

Old 11 November 2009   #74
Hello, I wanted to post what I have so far. Did a peaceful morning scene and I still want to figure out some placement for some fill lights, but I'm kind of stuck for now.

I'm looking forward to doing an "Afraid of the Dark" scene next.

Old 11 November 2009   #75
Post Just got in!!!

Hi Mr.Birn,

just got in!!!. have been following lighting challenges from recent past.. gr8 entries...
Lighting challenges seems really interesting.. would post my entry shortly..
Keep it up guys!!!

reply share thread