CGTalk > Challenges > Lighting Challenges
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Old 11-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #31
a j
just getting started on this one with 3DS Max and MR.. i am trying to switch from "Maya + Renderman" to "3dS max + mr (or v-ray)".... so far .. not much of luck ... Maya's approach is by far more intuitive ... anyway we shall see at the end...
best of luck to everyone.....

Last edited by leevan : 11-28-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #32
Jeremy Birn
Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US
Thumbs up More Feedback

leevan - Great start on a soft, romantic mood. Maybe a few more highlights and reflections could put a little detail into the dark areas? The right inch or so is confusing to me, I'm not sure what's being shown there.

tuffmutt1 - Great start! Work on getting warm bounce light from the bed up into the rest of the room, and try to get some color contrast with the cooler fill light from the sky coming in at other angles from the sunbeam.

djprasun - That's great. You are close to a sunset, but maybe the sunlight could be alittle softer and warmer and not quite so bright on the bed, and the sky outside could be a gradient of deep blue and purple instead of such a bright white? A few reflections in places like the monitor screen and floor could help add color and variety.

NADERDES - Welcome! Keep going!

halfPintMike - Welcome! Try to turn down that ambient light (or maybe it's global illumination --- whatever's washing out the unlit parts of the scene, turn it down.) If you focus on the light coming through the window, there can be a warm sublight in the morning, but also some blue and purple fill light from the sky. You have a little blue fill (probably a GI bounce from the sky outside) on the windowframe area now, but I think you should add some cooler, softer lights as part of your main illumination. You might do some renders with GI turned off until you have all the main lighting working, and then only turn on GI when you want the renderer to add some bounce light for you. There are some polygonal artifacts on the bed surfaces, maybe you just need to recompute normals or smoothing groups for that, and some light leaks around the edge of the window that need to be fixed.

Jeremy Birn
Author, Digital Lighting & Rendering, 3rd Edition
Old 11-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #33
Prague, Czech Republic

great to see the scene being used in so many different ways. This is so inspiring, almost makes me wanna redesign the whole short film ..

wanted to point out one forma thing: the modeling was NOT done by me, it was modeled by DAVID VACEK .. I have designed the room so it looks this way as part of a production of my short film. So if anything, I would suggest to list David Vacek as a modeler, and maybe David Tousek as a designer (but i dont have to be involved) .. that is just a technical point.

Here are the shots from the movie. The lighting was done very quickly, so i think i will want to participate in re-lighting the room .. especially when it comes to texturing, which is the weakest area, i think.

Thank you. Wish all creativity and fun

Old 11-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #34
Preetam Saha
3D Lighting and Compositing Artist
DQ Entertainment (International) Limited
Hyderabad, India
Hello everyone ! This is my first attempt, & I have made this scene thinking of the theme called 'Romantic Sunset'.

This is a Maya's mental ray render !

My Demoreel (MAY 2010)

Last edited by preetamsaha : 11-29-2009 at 05:21 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #35
Nader Nabil
Lighting Technical Director
Zagazig, Egypt
thanks jeremy ..

new one

Nader Nabil

3D Lighting TD - Art Director

Old 11-28-2009, 08:18 PM   #36
VFX Artist
Nèstor Prado
Talking Lighting Challenge #21: The Bedroom

I'm really new to this forum so I hope that I don't mess up the dynamics of this thread.

This is my entry for the lighting Challange from

I did this entirely today. It was done with Mental Ray in Maya 2010 and post-processed in Photoshop CS3.

As you can see I didn't bother too much for the texturing because I really wanted to experiment with light and try things that I hadn't a chance to try before.

I hope to see more entries because the ones I've seen so far have some serious level!!

Well hope to see you arround.

Bye Bye!

Here is the image posted on my flickr!
Old 11-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #37
Felix Hörlein
3d & Compositing Artist
Munich, Germany
my first rough try for a happy morning with houdini pbr and 4 arealights.
hope u like it

Old 11-28-2009, 10:57 PM   #38
Jeremy, I'm not using depht map shadows or raytracing. Am I just ruining for myself when i'm actually going to USE shadows or GI or FG? I've only used depht map shadows on the sun though.

I had just 2 volume lights before to do the fill light of the entire room, they were blue. But now I use fill light with purple, pink/purple color and orange.

Does anyone know how many times a sunbeam light bounces? So far I've made it bounce only one time...

Old 11-28-2009, 11:49 PM   #39
Anas maiman
Hey Jeremy

Afraid of the Dark

I have been inspired by the movie paranormal activity
It took me to do this about 6 hours
Maya-mental Ray
a simple composition

any c&c are welcome from any one
Thanks for this lovely scene

Last edited by drmaya : 11-29-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:30 AM   #40
Martin La Land Romero
Sr. Visual Effects Artist
Warner Brothers Games
San Francisco, USA

Good luck everyone!

I am in!

Old 11-29-2009, 02:06 AM   #41
Aspiring Digital Lighter
Vincent Heintschel
Oregon, USA
Hey everyone. This doesn't really fit into any of the categories and I'm not finished but I still liked the way it looked and wanted to share. Felt like a "Streetlight Nightlight" lighting scheme. Just needs an insomniac standing at the window looking down at the streets.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:02 AM   #42
Medium is Irrelevant
Phil Potter
After many months of inactivity in 3D, I have opted to join this challenge to brush back up on my skills. There are already some amazing entries, considering the challenge has been running a couple of days.

I will have to get cracking.

I am trying for the mood "Teenage Angst", since nobody has done that one yet. The colors are very much inspired by the "The Jimi Hendrix Experience". I hope to evoke discontent, rebellion, and anger at "the Man", using wild super saturated colors. Should be fun.

I've rendered an ambient occlusion pass in Yafaray and taken the image into Photoshop for color treatment. As usual, I am using Blender as my 3D program. I will start lighting in 3D tomorrow. All C&C welcome.

Cheers and God bless.

"If you are not yourself, you cannot be anyone else, and can easily end up being nobody in particular."-Andrew Loomis

Old 11-29-2009, 07:41 AM   #43
Genevieve Williams
Yeah, I'm in on this one for sure, and I'm tackling the glorious morning scene first. Haven't finished the shaders yet though.

- Genny

:|| My CG Blog ||:
:|| My Maya FAQ ||:
:|| PMM Linear Lighting Buddy||:

Old 11-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #44
subhendu nayak
Lighting artist
any body tale me who to post large image in forum?

Last edited by NAYAK33 : 11-29-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:42 AM   #45
sumeet kaur
New Delhi, India
Hi I can't unarchive the Maya .ma file with winRAR utility.Its showing following error...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bed room unarchive.jpg (69.0 KB, 44 views)
reply share thread