CGTalk > Challenges > Lighting Challenges
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Old 08-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #61
Gennady Afonin
Moscow, Russia

Hi everyone.
Thanks Jeremy for next challenge.
Thanks Giorgio Luciano, Dan Konieczka for your modeling.

Research lighting (without characters), camera position and composition.

Jeremy, may I ask you a question? When will the new gallery appear? Flashback to Challenge #7: An Eye for an Eye?
Old 08-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #62
Prasun Bhattacheryya
DQ Entertainment
Kolkata, Hyderabad, India
Mr.Birn, The character is very difficult to rig and i'm finding it really hard to give an appropriate pose to the character. Can I manipulate the scene to make the character a part of the background or should I have to focus on the character itself?

Lighting Demoreel Fall-Spring 2010
My Website
Old 08-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #63
Aspiring Digital Lighter
Vincent Heintschel
Oregon, USA
This looks fun. I'm working on a project of my own along with this one so I hope I can stay on task and come up with something unique for this scene. The last challenge I was in the mindset of a contract job, "here's this scene. Light it." I'll be a little more relaxed and creative for this scene.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:11 PM   #64
reyes bonjwa
Angel Ivanov
Worldwide FX
Sofia, Bulgaria
Hey, devank, yes, they're really close .

Jeremy, I guess you're right. I'm kind of going in that direction. I've been looking at some scenes from Blade Runner, for something more futuristic and maybe portraying our ladies as androids/robots, we'll see where it goes. Right now I'm doing the unglorious task of archiving the geometry in ribs, so expect updates soon.
Lighting Challenges Redux
Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #65
avaialable for work
uday kadkade
Mumbai, India
my shot at it....base textures yet. five lights and AO. render time approx. 3 minutes.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:32 PM   #66
Bill Brooks
San Diego, USA
Here's my first take on #20...

Old 08-17-2009, 09:34 PM   #67
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine
Thank you Jeremy for this opportunity!

Here's my try.

I want to give some feedback to others:
Voigg: where are the characters? I like your central accent and some side lighting, but try to give some rim lighting to the stuff from the offscreen space to make some contrast.
djprasun: the emboss is still evident, it doesn't work this way. Maybe make some vignetting to force the effect. The colors are good. The big floor plane looks a bit boring, maybe you could place some offscreen shadows to vary the look.
jasvant: this looks much more like a surveillance camera. The characters would be nice, as well as some tonal variation to the textures.
simonjaap: there is not enough accent on the characters for now.
genaf1: (test) try to apply some colors to the materials, wthis will change the approach you light. The upper frame part looks good: there's an interesting variation. But the characters are not emphasized yet.
tuffmutt1: the monitors look to bright, the yellow color could be desaturated quite a bit, as they attract too much attention for now. The characters are well-lit, but the falloff on the floor looks too much like a stage light. You could create another one in the scene to make it look more natural. Also you can try to put the corners of the frame in a relative dark to make them not so uniform.
brookselliott: some blacks are too dark, try to make them a bit brighter not to attract as much attention.
Of course I don't mind others feedback.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:47 AM   #68
Jeremy Birn
Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US
Thumbs up Feedback (most recent first)

mister3d - Good start! The terminator on the character's faces looks very harsh, try for softer gradients moving between light and dark tones on the skin. Their armpits appear to be glowing, make those areas darker. Keep going on the project!

brookselliott - A little start on the surfacing makes a world of difference to the scene. The hard-edged shadows are OK behind the TV, but seem unmotivated on the exit doors. Maybe the employee area should be much darker anyway? Keep going!

tuffmutt1 - Welcome back! It's hard to tell where the overall light is coming from, maybe the fill light could have softer shadows and be less even and less uniform? If the TVs are some of the brightest things in a dark scene, some light from the TVs on other objects would help.

djprasun - Do what you want with the characters and the scene. Now that you've done the camera thing maybe you can tackle working with the characters next?

genaf1 - Good start! I think the round hemi-spheres on the ceiling are security camera housings, they don't need light they are just black plastic like this. Good start on the other ceiling lights. If you want more lights, you might add spotlights on the televisions, or interior lighting in the display cases. I'll keep you posted on gallery updates.

simonjaap - Nice start!

jasvant - I think "security camera" look is a cliche already. If you're going to simulate flourescent lights, try much softer shadows.

Aragorn79 - Use whatever kind of lights you want. A spotlight with barn doors can brighten a rectangular area below it.

Voigg - Interesting start. It's hard to tell what the diagonal thing on the lower left is. The fill light areas (which are most of the scene) seem pretty uniform, maybe occlusion in the fill light and more directionality could both help?

Jeremy Birn
Author, Digital Lighting & Rendering, 3rd Edition
Old 08-18-2009, 02:48 AM   #69
Lighting Artist
Matias Codesal
Long Beach, USA
Looks like fun. Thanks to the modelers and Jeremy for hosting.

I'm going to go for a claymation look with the objects that are in the scene, but if my skills permit I want to try to go for a scene within a scene shot with the clay store within a photo-realistic studio. Maybe that's too out of context?

Last edited by B4C : 08-18-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #70
bimal bose
lighting artist
Chennai, India
here is my first layout

Thanks Jeremy for the lighting challenge.
Thanks Giorgio Luciano, Dan Konieczka for the modeling

hi my name is bimal and i am from india , i am trying this lighting challenge for the first time , heres my layout , cc welcome
done in maya with vray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg layout.jpg (46.6 KB, 234 views)

Last edited by ankithbinu : 08-18-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #71
Prasun Bhattacheryya
DQ Entertainment
Kolkata, Hyderabad, India

Just checking out some different light setup and some floor texture.
Maya software render. Let's see, I may have to switch to Mental ray.

Lighting Demoreel Fall-Spring 2010
My Website
Old 08-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #72
avaialable for work
uday kadkade
Mumbai, India
Thanks Jeremy.
here's v2 with a few textures and a new lighting setup. still making my mind to which direction to go with.

here's another test render with a cu with more textures added....low AA

and a cu...another low AA

Last edited by tuffmutt1 : 08-18-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:09 PM   #73
Kyle McHenry
Pittsburgh, USA
Send a message via AIM to Vesty
hey all,

this is my first time participating in the challenge and I'm pretty excited about it. Here's my current wip.

I wanted to nail the environment lighting before handling the characters. I haven't touched the texture too much yet either. I'm still figuring out how I want to do the overhead lighting.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #74
Pablo Navarro
San Jose, Costa Rica
I'm in!

this weekend I will post a couple of pics!
Old 08-18-2009, 11:24 PM   #75
Bobby West
Full Sail University
Winter Park, USA
Send a message via AIM to Voigg Send a message via MSN to Voigg

Here is my latest update.
Demo Reel / Website
reply share thread