Lighting Challenge #20: The Shop Girls

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 08 August 2009   #46
Hello all. I have worked up a basic setup. The idea is one girl (the customer) meeting her friend (the clerk) after they are both off work. Perhaps they are chatting about clothing, boyfriends, or celebrities before heading off to a night on the town.

The lighting is that of the afternoon, around 3 or 4 pm. That is my favorite time of day, because of what the sun is doing.

The rather odd reflections in the glass case are caused by the glass doors I have added off camera. It's a reflection of the sun filtering through the doors. I am trying to figure out a way to eliminate it.

This was rendered in Luxrender in about 2 hours. It may take less time to converge to an acceptable result, but I was gone while it rendered so I don't know.

Tell me what you think.

Cheers and God bless.

Sketchbook

Old 08 August 2009   #47
Originally Posted by jeremybirn: o2car - Thanks!
devank - Welcome! Are the objects in the background really that big, or did you do something to make them look bigger?

Hi Jeremy!

I think it is because i am using a rather long lens and the depth of field is making the objects that are blurred appear larger than they are.

I am going to change my composition, will post it when i am ready "fixing" some things in the scene and when i get it ready to be lit!

Thanks!

Old 08 August 2009   #48
I decided to do this lighting challenge, because I'm not that great a lighter, and I feel that this will push me to try new things. I would always just stick to either 3 point lighting, or a simple radiosity render.

Here, I put Area lights where every ceiling florescent light is, and a big one simulating the front of the store. It's not that interesting, but I think that if I make it realistic first, then worry about making it artsy, it would go better. Also, this is not my final camera angle. I just chose an overall shot to get the lighting for now.

This shot took 18 minutes to render.

Last edited by ScotchTapeWorm3D : 08 August 2009 at 04:26 AM.

Old 08 August 2009   #49
Hey, Blenderfan. I just thought that I would point out that since you have the sun shadow covering the store clerk's face, it kind of makes it look like a shady business, yet the light on the custumer makes it seem otherwise. It kind of conflicts with itself.

Also thanks again, for helping me out with separating the OBJ!

Old 08 August 2009   #50
BlenderFan - For the key light (the sunbeam) try making it come from a different angle, further from the camera. Right now, the right edge of the light runs up the foreground counter, then straight up the background counter, flattening them out in space because it isn't offset to the side with distance. Putting it to the side could also get some shaping on the characters. For the fill light, you could use richer colors, maybe some red in there. Two hours is crazy, that looks like a one minute rendering, if you're using GI or something, turn it off until you have the lighting working better.

ScotchTapeWorm3D - Maybe you can make the practical lights (the light fixtures built-in to the store) more interesting if you space them out more, so there's pools of light that get darker in between lights, and add more small spotlights like track lighting aimed at the merchandise, or add tubes of light recessed inside the display cases? Try to get different colors and tones for the lighting in the back employee area than out in the main store, too, that contrast and the shadows of the walls are important in defining the different spaces.

-jeremy

Old 08 August 2009   #51

Using Mental Ray and it took 8:25 minutes to render

Old 08 August 2009   #52
Exclamation

Hey jeremy this one's gonna be gr8, count me in.
but one quick question regarding lighting the fluorescent tubes in Maya--- what would be the fastest way to do it(as in render time)?
And i am talking about using the Maya renderer, no MR & also no Area lights.
Thanks in advance

Old 08 August 2009   #53

Just for fun.

Lighting Demoreel Fall-Spring 2010
My Website

Old 08 August 2009   #54
Wow...looks tricky....I'm in!!

Old 08 August 2009   #55
Can i change the saturation of the scene.

Lighting Demoreel Fall-Spring 2010
My Website

Old 08 August 2009   #56
You can count me in on this one!
Thanks Jeremy
My Demo Reel: link to demo reel

Old 08 August 2009   #57
Cool Hey ppl m IN

Hi djprasun hy i am IN too....

great Platform,,, first time trying dis challenge
hope to post my first render soon

thnx

n plz ppl help .....

Thanks Jeremy

thnx to all
Best of Luck to all...

Last edited by Harjit03 : 08 August 2009 at 08:09 AM.

Old 08 August 2009   #58
Security Camera

Hello jeremy sir,here is my entry.As you can see i didn,t work lot on Lighting.Well i just wanted to make a security camera view which is theme of my entry so this time i worked on camera effects.I used 3ds max and post production done with photoshop.Next time i will post textured and well lit entry with character also.It would be great if you could tell us that how can we make realistic security camera view and some tips about vignetting,chromatic abrreation and other optical properties.Thanks.

Old 08 August 2009   #59
A lot of security camera's on here

I'm taking a bit of a different approach. Redecorated the place a bit (sorry).

Still going to change a lot more probably, but im going for a smaller store.

No c&c required, just an early wip.

Old 08 August 2009   #60
sivaavatar2009

hi guys i am back

reply share thread