Lighting Challenge #19: The King's Treasure

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2009   #31
meeeaaoow

Sorath, thanks to put that cat outside the window.. aiming at the rat's treasure, great start!

Old 05 May 2009   #32
Originally Posted by Sorath: woha, elvis you're tha presley!!! nice shading!

so.. i'm in, with an light mood rendering, ..everything lambert shaded.. just lighttesting for the moment. heavy repainted in photoshop to get an imagination how it should look like.

cheers
Bastian

wow! amazing start....just need textures i think... very nice....

Old 05 May 2009   #33
modo 401

Wanted to try out some stuff in modo 401. Not sure If I'll be able to finish it but its a start. Blocked the BG lighting first, I wanted a darker mood for the BG.

I did some simple materials for the items but if I go further it needs a lot of texturing work.

It'll be a bit tough getting good looking gems in low light, our eyes are used to sparkly gems due to the studio light up or even the jewelry store lighting, so an old castle with candle light will be hard to stack up!

Yazan

Old 05 May 2009   #34
Wow nice challenge!
I will participate! It will be my first challenge!
Good works!

Thanksss!!

Vetor Zero
Lighting TD

Site:
www.igorvfx.com

Blog:
igorvfx.blogspot.com

São Paulo - Brazil

Old 05 May 2009   #35
Here is my first go at it. Still lots to do!

Old 05 May 2009   #36
No where near done, but it is a start..

Old 05 May 2009   #37
Thumbs up Feedback !

psycosven - Good start. Maybe if you make the table brighter and more reflective you'll be able to see the lighting on it better as you work. Keep going!

Bubbaloo - Good start, keep going!

Yazan - Good start with the BG. The diamonds have a nice look! I agree the bright jewels aren't integrated with the scene lighting yet, maybe you need to put a lantern or beam of light into your lighting design if you're going for a bright look on the jewelry. Those diamonds really do look diamond-like, so you're on the right track once you figure out how to sell it.

genaf1 - That's great! Nice plan for the lighting. You've got 2 things that don't read clearly. One is the tangency between the middle-post in the windows and the tall round object on the table. When they line-up too perfectly, they don't stand out well in the composition. The otehr is the back of the chair, which is disappearing against the background. Probably a camera move could fix both these things. Right now, the right third of the shot is fairly empty, you might move the camera in as you fix the problems.

rmejia - Good start! If you lit it from the side more you might get more shaping and shadows. The composition is be fine, especially if the left side and corners will be darker than that in the final lighting.

NAYAK33 - Nice start on the challenge. I think some glass is missing in the tall background object. Maybe the lighting could have more directionality, with a bright side and a dark, shadowy side, and more environment reflections?

divanovic - Good start! The shadow direction doesn't seem to match the light direction, and it looks somehow blurred over. I hope you can get the lighting to be more simple and solid-looking, perhaps using fewer lights and less post-processing? Keep going!

Sorath - That's terrific! Great start, great concept for the scene! I think the blue light from the window could hit the table a bit more, and that could give you nice shadows or nice dark reflections of the pearls and other left-side objects cast onto the table-top.

-jeremy

Old 05 May 2009   #38
Houdini supported.

Thanks for arctor we now have a Houdini .BGEO format file available on the download page.

-jeremy

Old 05 May 2009   #39
Hi all...
I apply my final work of The King's Treasure challenge!

Software used: 3ds max, vray, photoshop, fume fx

Comments and critics are welcome.

Hope you all like it.

- Vjekoslav Kiralj

Cheers

EDIT: Will continue working on this one a bit more...

Last edited by Kiralj3d : 05 May 2009 at 02:51 PM.

Old 05 May 2009   #40
@Kiralj3d:
Great work Vjeko... Well... great work as usual. I will be really surprised if you failed to make great rend! Best luck! I hope that you will win!

Old 05 May 2009   #41
http://cid-a7ea9daa7e99a717.skydriv...lic/Carrara.jpg
http://cid-a7ea9daa7e99a717.skydriv...blic/Kings2.jpg

Hi all, first image is rendered in Carrara 7 Pro & the second done in Vue 7 Infinite.
I feel more familar with Carrara's materials & ironically more familiar with Vue's lighting, so I will continue with both as should help me learn.

Cheers,

Robbie

Old 05 May 2009   #42
update..

thanks for the comments Jeremy, I overdid it with sky lights and the sun dominance was lost...
here's an update, no ps work, maya2008 & mr

great progress everyone, keep it coming!
cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg treasureLightTest_002.jpg (49.6 KB, 459 views)

Old 05 May 2009   #43
Wonderful to be back for another challenge and hang around with so many talented artists.

This is the first draft of the image, with no GI or the like yet, just Sunsky in Yafaray exported from Blender. I'm aiming for a late afternoon feeling, and I may add some volume light eventually. Love to hear what you have to say. It's rendering in about ten seconds atm.

Sketchbook

Old 05 May 2009   #44
Excellent modeling and scene work for #19
Here's my WIP Blendered

HighRes

Last edited by brookselliott : 05 May 2009 at 04:58 PM.

Old 05 May 2009   #45
Test Lighting

This is my Test Lighting.. No material yet, but i am working on it.

I try to simulate a day light, with cool color.

Last edited by eduroam : 05 May 2009 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Correction Link Image

Thread Closed share thread