Flashback to Challenge #7: An Eye for an Eye

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2009
nice to see a flashback challenge i miss this the first time so here is my entry

03 March 2009
Eye for an eye

Hi all. It's been a lot of fun working on this eye. More work has gone into it than I would like to admit. I hope I will have the energy to put more time into it.

Edit. hope the image works better now.

Last edited by n3m72 : 03 March 2009 at 12:38 PM.

03 March 2009
Smile Join up for the second time

Hi all, wow...cool stuffs from you guys. Btw, Jeremy can I join this challenge once again just for fun..? Coz' it's just a flashback on my memory 2 years ago..

03 March 2009
Thumbs up Feedback !

neonbulbs - Everyone is welcome! If you entered 2 years ago, I hope you can do something new this time.

n3m72 - Welcome! Because of spammers, your first 4 posts or so on cgtalk get approved by moderators and can't have attached images. I know that's annoying, but I assure you it gets better! If you're having trouble posting images, try uploading to imageshack or your own website and just posting a link here, or read this thread http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=267104

swag - Nice job! The eyeball seems more brightly lit than the skin around it. Try to fill-in the fold in the upper eyelid with a warm color to make it look like flesh. The edge of the eyelid touching the eyeball should also have some warm tones, the make-up applied to eyelashes does not go all the way to touching the eyeball. The eye has a nice texture, I think the pupil looks a bit too perfectly black, in a close-up a tiny bit of reflectivity over the whole eyeball might help.

PUMEL
- Welcome! Good start, keep going!

brookselliott - Good start. All the little squares of light look a bit unrealistic on the eyeball, maybe you could use fewer of those or find a new reflection environment? Try to reduce the reflections in the pupil itself, a bright highlight should stay on the iris or sclera, not in the middle of the pupil.

Sorath
- That's great! On the skin, you have a nice texture. It needs some warmth in the fold and shadow areas, just enough to simulate subsurface scattering. Some warmth on the edge of the eyelids where they contact the eye would help too. The eye itself has a nice look, good textures. There seems to be too much black areound the edges; see if you can fill some of the black areas in. The pupil stands out a little too much, maybe the iris/pupil transition could be blended better, maybe it just shouldn't hit such a dark black.

phil-w8 - Welcome!

-jeremy

03 March 2009
First render

Hi Everyone,

This is my first entry for this challenge.

Your comments are more than welcome.

Thanks.

-philippe

03 March 2009
hey jeremy, thanks for your input.
I'm currently struggeling around with a deadline, if i'm not too busy afterwards i'll maybe improve the shading a bit. It's hard to do so because the eye lash -hairs seems to be a bit to thick and for applying a good shading it is too thin :-(
and still missing is the fluid which is producing those nice specss on the inside of the eyelashes. so still enough to do for me :-).

03 March 2009
Jeremy thanks for the comments. My second try:

03 March 2009
Thumbs up

You give me another chance! Jeremy Birn
This time I will finish it before deadline!!
Really love this thread, thank you Jeremy Birn!

03 March 2009
Black Eye !

Hi Jeremy and all,

Thanks for your comments.
Took a completely new look at the skin shader and made my own diffuse, bump and specular maps from reference.
Pinked up the tear duct and made the eyelashes slightly transparent to try and knock them back a bit, they seemed really harsh and thick.

Moved the omni over the right to get more shadow on the left and made it a warm orange colour to help with the skin tones.

Cheers
Phil

03 March 2009
hey guys, this is my first post here. i am really enjoying it. In this challenge, my working approach on the eye is to deliver an expression of "Fear" right before a murder. i am still working on it. i am using max for this. i created eye ball and iris for the scene. but eyelashes and head skin part is the same. i textured it re touched some uvs and here is the first render. i hope u will like it and all c&c welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eye01.jpg (33.0 KB, 84 views)

03 March 2009
Originally Posted by Phil-roberts: Hi Jeremy and all,

Thanks for your comments.
Took a completely new look at the skin shader and made my own diffuse, bump and specular maps from reference.
Pinked up the tear duct and made the eyelashes slightly transparent to try and knock them back a bit, they seemed really harsh and thick.

Moved the omni over the right to get more shadow on the left and made it a warm orange colour to help with the skin tones.

Cheers
Phil

@Phil-roberts: I really like your skin shader, do u mind if i ask how'd you do it?

03 March 2009
Phil-w8

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the comments,
Basically the the main diffuse map is a mixture of photographic and clone stamp tool retouch.
I took all the shadow and specular outputs on the base image off to produce a flat tonally consistent base.

Then for the bump map I desaturated the image to black and white and boosted the levels to get more contrast for my bump.

Finally for the specular I reused the bump map but took to contrast back down to a more grey tone overall so there were no spikey areas.

Then just played around with the settings in max for the material until it looked OK.

Here is a tutorial link I found that may help:

http://www.davemarsh3d.co.uk/tutorials.htm

Heres my final settings below.

Cheers
Phil

03 March 2009
Phil-roberts

Wow, thks Phil-roberts for the great explanation.

I'll give it a shot in a bit.

Great work !!!

thanks again.

03 March 2009
My attempt at this challenge. Rendered in Maya. Lit with a portal light and "ye olde kitchen.hdr" for reflections. Shaders are still very basic. For the time being mostly concerned with colour and values.

03 March 2009
Been quite busy of late, but managed to put up a quick "sultry stripe" lighting setup. Apologies for the PLE watermarks, but I thought I'd give this one a try in Maya

Will work on the textures next...

Thread Closed share thread