Flashback to Challenge #7: An Eye for an Eye

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2009   #16
Thanks.
Basicaly the eye materials are.........

Sclara.......Semi glossy, not to reflective. I also used a tiny touch of bump for the veins.

Iris.......Very glossy (blurry), about 50% reflective. Also a touch of bump, VERY slight.

Cornea(?).....very slightly glossy, and very reflective. I have added thickness to get a bit of refraction.

Tear Duct....About 50% glossy and about 60% reflective.

The skin.....Is MR fast sss +
I use fresnel type BRDF curves on almost every material I make. I also always gamma correct the textures.

BTW,
I am using an HDRI that comes with Max in the environment slot of most of my materials. I have a area spot light and a skylight using a blurred, lower res version of the reflection map.
I am rendering with final gather.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike

Old 03 March 2009   #17
@MikeBrackin - It looks like you've done some manual texture painting with some specular highlighting, bump, and a bit of diffuse coloring as well for skin and its looking great. And I was wondering if your model included Eyebrows or did you add hair simulation?

The iris looks a bit large for the eye sorta.. but it still looks cool..

Last edited by brookselliott : 03 March 2009 at 06:33 PM.

Old 03 March 2009   #18
Here's my first attempt. Yes its a purple person:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg testp.jpg (20.6 KB, 86 views)

Old 03 March 2009   #19
hi all

Hi everyone!!

This is the first attempting for this challenge.

Old 03 March 2009   #20
Hello everybody,
this is my first challenge

Old 03 March 2009   #21
Hi Everyone

Here's my first draft,
Used HDRI in vray and a single omni from the left to pick some shadows out on the upper lid and lashes. Still needs eyebrow and wrinkles in the eye creases and under the eyes.
And need to liquify and pinkish up the tear duct but otherwise going ok.

Cheers
Phil

Old 03 March 2009   #22
Hi. My first approach to the scene. Very nice to work on!

greets kerschy

Old 03 March 2009   #23
hi done some work on the eye next step texturing the skin..

Old 03 March 2009   #24
Done with the skin texture, will now work on the tear drop from her eyes and gonna also work with the color of eye lashes and add an eyebrow...

Old 03 March 2009   #25
Thumbs up Feedback !

wasimattar - Nice image! I like the color in the iris, and having interesting reflections is always nice. I think the image lacks warmth, if the shadow areas and the edges of the eyelids and the tear ducts could have more red and pink and warmer tones in them, the whole image could look more natural and organic. Work on getting rid of hard edges between the tearduct and the eyeball.

kerschyb - That's great! Nice skin texture, nice iris texture. The eyelids need work: find some photo reference (or get a mirror) and look at the transition between the eyeball and the upper eyelid, I think there should be more consistent darkness and more warm tones in the skin there. Move the reflection off the pupil of the eye, maybe all the way to the right side of the iris on that. It really hurts a character if a reflection or highlight covers her pupil.

Phil-roberts - Great scene. I agree on the pink tearduct idea. Actually, all the black and dark gray in the skin could go into deeper warmer tones. Study some photo reference to see how much scattering should be there, but the desaturated shadow areas are a dead give-away that this is CG. I think the bump map on the sclera might bee too heavy, maybe just use that pattern for a shift into warmer colors instead of bump. The bump on the skin in the lower left corner looks too much like a bump map to me, maybe the bump should only influence the specular and not the diffuse, and you could use a little more color variation in the skin texture?

zbyg - Welcome! Great start! Try to get rid of the black edges on the sides of the eyeball, and see if you can fill-in the black in the eyelid fold with a warmer fill color. Your scene could use some shadows. Try to soften the transition between the iris and the pupil.

PETER3D - That's great! The skin texture is wonderful. On the right side some of the wrinkles don't seem to align perfectly with the lower edge of the eye or the fold of the eyelid, maybe you can tweak those. The bottom of the eye could use some occlusion where it meeds the lower lid. On the left side, the tear duct is disappearing into blackness, try to bring back some warmth and presence there.

brookselliott - Good start. Having two highlights is fine, but you'll still need some iris gleam in there. The right corner has a gray triangle in it, maybe you can smooth that whole right side of the sclera out into a continuous gradient?

MeanPi2 - That looks like a layout for an interesting scene. Keep going!

MikeBracken - Great start! Use color if you want color, B&W doesn't really hide that much. The edge of the iris should blend into the eye white, usually with a darker defining ring. The reflections and lash occlusion looks good. Try to move the highlight out of the pupil, maybe to the right side of the iris, and look into getting some iris gleam.

-jeremy

Old 03 March 2009   #26
I am finding that if you paint your face purple its much easier to make it look natural. That is natural for a purple face. . This is one of the tougher challenges I think. Texturing skin for close ups is not an easy task. I think it would be better to use a zbrush approach with ramp shaders for specular and color. It would be interesting to hear what others are using to get some of the wrinkles to look like real wrinkles in close ups like PETER3D and kerschyb examples.

Old 03 March 2009   #27
Hey Everyone,

I guess i'll give it a shot...count me in.

Old 03 March 2009   #28
i like eyes, so i gave it a try..

my first cgtalk lighting challenge contribution.
i don't get the eye lashes to work.. anyway, here's my result so far.. 1 and a half days work.
everything just very roughly touched.. i spent the most time on shading the eye to get this proberly working.

Maya 08 - Mentalray.

cheers
Bastian

Last edited by Sorath : 03 March 2009 at 05:17 PM.

Old 03 March 2009   #29
Here's another rough version. I'm trying to create more specular texture at the eye eyelid area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newtest2.jpg (70.0 KB, 72 views)

Old 03 March 2009   #30
this`s mine.
skin shader almost done:

Thread Closed share thread